Hey everybody!

I'm a new guitarist and I don't know much about it but I'm pretty sure something is wrong with my amp. When I play it on quiet it sounds really dull and as I turn it up the sound start distorting and crackling really badly. The amp is a Marshall MG100DFX and I got it off ebay. The speaker in it doesnt seem to be original one. I believe the Marshall comes with a Celestion speaker, whereas the one I have in here is a "Fane Acoustics Medusa 100".

I've made a short recording of the amp in case my explanation didn't make sense.

I'm just wondering what's wrong with the amp. Does it sound like a problem with the speaker, pre amp, power amp?

What to do what to do????

http://rapidshare.com/files/206937612/amp.mp3.htm
Check to make sure the ohm rating on the speaker is the same as the amp. Otherwise I'd say its blown.
Quote by spinout1love
Hey everybody!

I'm a new guitarist and I don't know much about it but I'm pretty sure something is wrong with my amp. When I play it on quiet it sounds really dull and as I turn it up the sound start distorting and crackling really badly. The amp is a Marshall MG100DFX and I got it off ebay. The speaker in it doesnt seem to be original one. I believe the Marshall comes with a Celestion speaker, whereas the one I have in here is a "Fane Acoustics Medusa 100".

I've made a short recording of the amp in case my explanation didn't make sense.

I'm just wondering what's wrong with the amp. Does it sound like a problem with the speaker, pre amp, power amp?

What to do what to do????

http://rapidshare.com/files/206937612/amp.mp3.htm

That's your problem right there
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
Quote by Sumlover41
That's your problem right there

Real Helpful...

I've heard the MG's pots are awful and crackle a lot, that could be the problem?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
The amp only specifies a minimum total impedance (which is 4), so I'm guessing that shouldnt be a problem, please correct me if im wrong.

I made the recording with my camera which i put under a blanket just to make sure it would pick everything up and not get overwhelmed (i once tried using my phone to record something at a concert and needless to say it didnt sound very good -- thats my reasoning :p)

I just tried connecting the speaker to my hifi system and it makes the same cracking noise...
An 8 ohm speaker in an amp designed for a 4 ohm will cut the volume in about half. Then of course you crank the amp to get the same volume. Cranked SS equals bad tone. And MG equals bad tone. The MGs arent very reliable new most likely the ebay seller got rid of it for a reason. If you can return it do so now.