I'm looking at buying a recording interface and alot of them are firewire connected, where are these ports?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
FireWire is Apple's name for an IEEE1394 port (I wonder why they thought that needed snazzed up ).

the triangular ended one is a full sized FireWire 400 port, the small one beside it is a miniature FireWire port. The easiest way to tell is to look at the back of your computer.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
If you want to use a Firewire connection for audio interfaces, make sure you have a FW800 port.

With that said, most PC's don't have FW800. You can look around your computer. It will usually be with the other ports such as USBs, media card readers, etc.

If you use Windows you can also check in Hardware Manager.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
If you want to use a Firewire connection for audio interfaces, make sure you have a FW800 port.

With that said, most PC's don't have FW800. You can look around your computer. It will usually be with the other ports such as USBs, media card readers, etc.

If you use Windows you can also check in Hardware Manager.

It depends on the audio interface, my one only works with FW400, but it is a few (seven ) years old now I suppose.

edit: TS, if your computer doesn't have a FireWire port (which, chances are it doesn't), you can get PCI FireWire cards for not very much money.

Last edited by jgbsmith at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by jgbsmith
It depends on the audio interface, my one only works with FW400, but it is a few (seven ) years old now I suppose.

Well, at my school, which is filled with tons of Mac Pros and audio workstations, FW400 has proven to be very problematic. In fact, we've installed a block slot where the FW400 port is because it always seems to have issues.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Well, at my school, which is filled with tons of Mac Pros and audio workstations, FW400 has proven to be very problematic. In fact, we've installed a block slot where the FW400 port is because it always seems to have issues.

really? I've been using this thing a long time with quite a few different Macs, running 10.3 through 10.5 and never had any issues whatsoever.

These ports are by your other ports. If you have a ****ing hole in your computer shaped like one, you have one. OH, but what if you mean do you have the capability to have one. Iduno, I'll look into it, maybe..
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by jgbsmith
really? I've been using this thing a long time with quite a few different Macs, running 10.3 through 10.5 and never had any issues whatsoever.

TS:

you don't HAVE to get a FW interface. USB2.0 interfaces work pretty well too. I recommend the E-MU0404USB2.0 It's great.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by Xiaoxi

I've never used it with a Mac Pro though, it could be a specific problem. It's been with an iMac G3, an iBook G3, a PowerBook G4, and two MacBooks in its time.

You'll have one of these.
My red is so confident that he flashes trophies of war and
ribbons of euphoria
I have this port with a red light in it, it's similarly shaped like those but it has a squigily line with an arrow going through it and like a sliding thing that you have to open to put something in it. Thats it though
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Quote by tr3nt
I have this port with a red light in it, it's similarly shaped like those but it has a squigily line with an arrow going through it and like a sliding thing that you have to open to put something in it. Thats it though

is that what you mean?

no

then it probably isn't a FireWire port. Don't worry, a FireWire card for your PC won't cost you more than £30/$40.

So how do I get a firewire port to use a Firewire recording interface? I'm looking at Mackies Onyx Satellite.