Hi all,
I'm building a guitar for senior project, and I'm stuck on what to do about the nut. I don't want to buy a $90 gauged file set, and I don't know anyone who has them...I guess I'll have to get a pre-slotted nut and use a very thin gauge saw to file it down more from there. I'm getting a 12" radius fretboard though, and the only preslotted nut my suppliers have is a 16" radius...can I make this work, since i'm filing it down anyway?
any help would be greatly appreciated!
hm, thats a tough one... im not sure how u could manage the radius change without screwinfg with the action alot...maybe buy a blank and make one urself?

wow, nut files really are expensive...thats bull if u ask me. cheapest i saw was $50 for thre? come on.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
i'd be willing to make it from a blank, but i'm on a tight budget and can't shell out absurd amounts of money for the files
Dude, I'm about to shell out the $90 for nut files myself.

It sucks they're so expensive.

You could always just have another luthier custom cut a nut for you.
can you use any supplier other than the one u currently are? 12 inch radius is fairly standard, i cant believe they wouldnt have it.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
This is relevant to my interests.

I did not know nut files were so expensive
Quote by NWScreative
Hi all,
I'm building a guitar for senior project, and I'm stuck on what to do about the nut. I don't want to buy a $90 gauged file set, and I don't know anyone who has them...I guess I'll have to get a pre-slotted nut and use a very thin gauge saw to file it down more from there. I'm getting a 12" radius fretboard though, and the only preslotted nut my suppliers have is a 16" radius...can I make this work, since i'm filing it down anyway?
any help would be greatly appreciated!
no. filing the back of the nut to adjust height won't change the radius. you MUST find a nut with same radius as your fretboard or you will have to change the height by filing the SLOTS to the correct height.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by NWScreative
I guess, but i don't want to pay $8 shipping on a $5 nut

I'd say that's better than $90 for files.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Even preslotted nuts usually need some adjustment. Sometimes they drop in many times they are to tall. The files like the .10 and .13 are gonna be really hard to find any other way. Even a needle file is gonna be to big for the high E string. There is a learning curve to doing a good job on filling the slots just right. And its pretty easy to screw up. If your only going to do 1 nut then the files arent a good investment. But getting 2 or 3 done by a luthier will pay for the files.