Hey people, really need some advice. I used to play jazz rock fusion stuff and my setup (Epiphone Toni Iommi SG -> Line6 Pod Xt live -> Vox Ac100CPH Head) was perfect for it, but now I'm in a metal band and my tone sucks.

When I crank up the amp (straight in, no fx) gain Drop D power chords sound okay but the sound is too 'vintage' and not driving anywhere near hard enough...also I play a lot of technical stuff where I switch from rhythm to lead parts - when I switch to single notes the tone becomes totally clean and sounds rubbish. I really need a tone which will sound hard and heavy with rhythm parts and screams on the lead stuff.

What do I need to do? I dont really want to use my pod coz using amp modelling when Ive got a £800 tube amp seems stupid. Could it be my pickups? Or is the vox just not capable of a modern metal tone?

Thanks in advance!
Vox isn't designed for modern metal!
No wonder it sounds all "vintage"

Plug in your POD and see what happens.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
you may want to consider a metal Pedal. i have an epi valve jr. halfstack, which of course can get nowhere near metal tones. i put a 7 band EQ and and EHX Metal Muff in front of it, and it has a balls-out metal tone now that i love. try it, you'll be surprised with what the right pedals can do.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
Quote by cthuludawn21
7 band EQ and and EHX Metal Muff

this

I mean look at dat shizzle. It's got distortion, it looks (and sounds) the sex and its got a BOOST function for your screamin' leads. That plus its got the word "Muff" blatantly shown on it.
/thread

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
Last edited by JMcG92 at Mar 8, 2009,
I'd recommend getting a Tube screamer or Bad Monkey, and using that to boost your amp's overdrive
Quote by Levi79
EMGS have to be the best for metal.

Your post was all thumbs up to that point

Try the POD. If it doesn't work, try a dist pedal like the Metal Muff
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Cheers for the responses, will look into everything recommended.

My budget for new gear atm is £290 max...what do you reckon will do more for me, pickups or a new pedal? I was thinking of getting some bareknuckle nailbombs
Even though Nailbombs are epically good, I'd say pedals. Pickups don't make a fundamental tonal difference they're more for perfecting the tone you nearly have
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by venesect
Cheers for the responses, will look into everything recommended.

My budget for new gear atm is £290 max...what do you reckon will do more for me, pickups or a new pedal? I was thinking of getting some bareknuckle nailbombs

Dayum, thems some nice pickups . But I would get an EHX Metal Muff + MXR 6-Band EQ Pedals. About £150 in total. Seriously, an EQ pedal is one of the most important factors in your tone and the Epi Iommi is supposed to have good pickups.

¦ Epiphone Sheraton II ¦ GFS Mean 90s ¦ Ampeg J-20 ¦
¦ Fulltone OCD ¦ MXR 6-Band EQ ¦ Behringer Chorus ¦ Artec Analog Delay ¦ EHX Holy Grail ¦
if you wanna get a sick one of a kind tone, get a fender rumble BASS amp, and run a digitech death metal pedal into it. the pedal is horrible on any guitar amp, but on a bass amp u get the most cutting heavy tone imagineable
Iceman w/ emgs
fender fmdsp65
Boss MetalZone
Fender Cybertwin
Epi LP plus top
Zoom gfx4
Death metal (sounds amazing through bass amp)
ibanez weeping demon
^Fail

A few things I would try.
First, try an EQ in the effects loop. This does wonders, and can really change the voicing of your amp.
Second, use the POD. The tube amp you are worry about wasting won't totally be "useless", because it will be acting as a poweramp, injecting tube warmth into the tone.
Third, try an overdrive to tighten and boost. Plenty out there to choose from.

Did I mention the guy above me fails?

EDIT: He failed so bad it was sig-worthy. Thank you kind sir, for this quote which will now reside below my posts, advertising your fail.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at Mar 19, 2009,
wait this amp isn't really vox-voiced is it? it's sorta more high gain than a conventional vox?
can you boost it with a heavier overdrive and maybe an eq to get it to metal territory?
if all else fails, look into the digitech hardwire metal pedal, ehx metal muff, or best of all zvex box of metal.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Dopey_Trout

Your post was all thumbs up to that point

Try the POD. If it doesn't work, try a dist pedal like the Metal Muff

+100

I hate EMG's..... Hey everybody let's jump on the "Metal Bandwagon" and buy ****ty sounding pickups!!!
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
although i seem to preach this on many threads, i use a modded epiphone LP into a vox AC30, and my keeley modified Boss BD-2 can get some evil metal tones when fully cranked

im talking squeelies that can make a pig blush!

so yeh, thats one to try out! and because its versatile you can always go back to your jazz fusion!
Quote by zeek7pc
+100

I hate EMG's..... Hey everybody let's jump on the "Metal Bandwagon" and buy ****ty sounding pickups!!!

Yeah they obviously sound ****....stupid comment.

Why would they have a bandwagon if they were ****? Moron.

They're not the be all or end all but if that sound is what you want EMG's have gotta be considered.
Quote by zeek7pc
+100

oh of course, EMG's suck so bad, thats why you could probably find 200 metal albums recorded with them. seriously, EMG hate is a pretty big bandwagon going around here, if you use them what theyr meant for, to drive those tubes harder, theyr great pickups and they do suck a little life out sometimes, but it all depends on what you want.

i can send you some of my high gain pod patches if you want?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.