I've never tried to really do anything to my guitars, aesthetically or electronically, but I've always wanted to. What are some basic things I could do? Preferably ones that are hard to mess up.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Quote by LegsOnEarth
Wait 5 hours
Be accused by the promoter of being late
Get told we have only a 10 minute set
Play pure noise for 10 minutes

Worst and most amusing gig of my life.

Anyone else had this kind of **** happen?!

Dimebag had a worse gig.
if you are asking how to customize your guitar you should not be customizing your guitar.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
killswitch
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by forstringwonder
if you are asking how to customize your guitar you should not be customizing your guitar.

I agree with that, but an easy thing to do is when you are resringing, you can put stickers on the fretboard over the dots on the 3, 5, 7th fret, etc.
Quote by forstringwonder

Don't be an arsehole.
Quote by forstringwonder

I'm not asking how to customize it. I'm asking what is something good to start out with for a first customization.
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
killswitch

I would but I can just use the pickup selector switch on my guitar to work as a killswitch.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Quote by LegsOnEarth
Wait 5 hours
Be accused by the promoter of being late
Get told we have only a 10 minute set
Play pure noise for 10 minutes

Worst and most amusing gig of my life.

Anyone else had this kind of **** happen?!

Dimebag had a worse gig.
Quote by username94
I'm not asking how to customize it. I'm asking what is something good to start out with for a first customization.

look through the guitar customizing gallery at the top of this forum.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Drill holes all over the body then cut out a 'bite mark' it looks pretty cool on bumblefoot's swiss cheese guitar.
Quote by forstringwonder

gotta start somewhere....

i suggest swapping out parts? i guess its customizing
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Killswitch, new pickguard, new knobs, and new pickups are pretty easy.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by forstringwonder

-1, not true. He should ask before starting so he doesnt mess up his guitar. Anyone that can play a guitar, can certanly mod one.

Id say new paintjob, and killswitch and pups change
You could add some on-board effects
Dot>Jekyll & Hyde>Turbo Tuner>DD-3>DD-7>DRRI
Quote by divinorum69
-1, not true. He should ask before starting so he doesnt mess up his guitar. Anyone that can play a guitar, can certanly mod one.

Id say new paintjob, and killswitch and pups change

Don't forget some people who CAN't play guitar and still try to build/customize anyway
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
adding new pickups will teach you more and have a greater benefit than adding a killswitch. a mod should improve the instrument or upgrade it. a killswitch does neither. i'd recommend starting with new pickups first, then venture out into phase switches and coiltaps. the faq at the top of the forum is an excellent place to start and the wiring diagram thread will tell you everything you'd ever want or need to know about pretty much everything you'd be able to do just starting out.

and you shouldnt worry about messing things up since mistakes are to be expected when you dont know what you are doing and are usually easily fixed. plus you'll learn not to make the same mistake again.
Wire some push/pull pots in and get you some coil tapping going on. That was my first guitar mod. I used 2 push/pulls for coil tapping and phase switching. I have a more versatile guitar and I picked up some knowledge.
If its a stock guitar from squier or a made in mexico strat it might be worth it to upgrade the pickups. Try it out! Learn the flow of current, how the tone knob works, why humbuckers buck the hum, and how to solder!
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel