Poll: Which amp? (Read my post before voting!!!)
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp? (Read my post before voting!!!)
Line 6 Spider III 120 watt stereo combo
7 9%
B-52 at 60 watt 112 tube combo
74 91%
Voters: 81.
Page 1 of 2
ok so me and my band are going to be gigging soon. as a result i need a better, louder amp (i have a crappy line 6 spider 3 30 watt...). my chouces are either a line 6 120 watt amplifier or a b52 at 60 watt combo.

-which would be better with a schecter damien 6 fitted with emg's?

-I play metal and alt. rock so what would better fit those styles?

-My main bands that i cover are bfmv, slayer, slipknot, rja, soad, and my own written alt-ish rock stuff for my band.

-which has better tone for the bands i listed previously?

-since the line 6 has 2 speakers in a stereo layout, does it give it an edge over the b52 (only a one speaker combo) in projection distance or clarity?

thanks to anyone who helps out.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
B-52, I can't believe you even considered the Line 6 half-stack.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
so the worst amp out there vs. an all tube amp, need i say more?
I own a Gibson SG Standard
And I am officialy recognized as an SG commando

Gibson 2009 SG Standard --> Peavey Classic 50 2x12

RIP Lester William Polsfuss aka Les Paul 1915-2009
RIP Stephen Ray Vaughan aka SRV 1954-1990
comparing that line 6 SS to a B52 Tube is like comparing a Hitachi analog tv to a Sony Full HD lol

B 52 no contest
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
Gibson SG Special Faded Brown w/ Duncan Blackouts
AMP
B-52 At-112 60 Wat All Tube Combo
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
SG --> MXR --> ISP --> B-52
lol, that's what i figured you would vote on this whole thing. the only problem i have with the b52 is this... i can't play it before i get to buy it, but i can with the Line 6...
Quote by alexpalka23
ok so me and my band are going to be gigging soon. as a result i need a better, louder amp (i have a crappy line 6 spider 3 30 watt...). my chouces are either a line 6 120 watt amplifier or a b52 at 60 watt combo.

-which would be better with a schecter damien 6 fitted with emg's?

-I play metal and alt. rock so what would better fit those styles?

-My main bands that i cover are bfmv, slayer, slipknot, rja, soad, and my own written alt-ish rock stuff for my band.

-which has better tone for the bands i listed previously?

-since the line 6 has 2 speakers in a stereo layout, does it give it an edge over the b52 (only a one speaker combo) in projection distance or clarity?

thanks to anyone who helps out.

And yet you're still considering a large version?

I say go for the spider.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
the spider stack is the same as what you have now but louder,
do you want that?
I say B-52
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by alexpalka23
lol, that's what i figured you would vote on this whole thing. the only problem i have with the b52 is this... i can't play it before i get to buy it, but i can with the Line 6...

dude thats like saying that u cant try out a Sony Full HD 60 inch flat screen, but that u can with the black and white CRT, get what im saying?
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
Quote by ShredGod George
the spider stack is the same as what you have now but louder,
do you want that?
I say B-52

i don;t find the tone horrable with my spider... just a little lacking. i don't need perfect tone but yes i could go for a change. i just want to play the b52 before i buy it, and i can't do that. should i still go for it at a risk of a 360 dollar loss?...
Quote by gpowsang
dude thats like saying that u cant try out a Sony Full HD 60 inch flat screen, but that u can with the black and white CRT, get what im saying?

lol, i like this guy and his metaphors that are making me want the b52 more and more. i'm pretty much leaning towards the b52 right now. anyone else before i place my order? haha.
who actually voted for the spider? I assume it was out of irony.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
If I was you I'd make every effort to try it. Most people will tell you it's a better amp, and while I agree it you might not like it.
If you buy the spider, it won't take long to realize how much of an idiot you are.

If you buy the b52, every girl you've ever known (excluding your mum, sister etc.) will want to sit on your lap.
Quote by Harmony.Korine
If you buy the spider, it won't take long to realize how much of an idiot you are.

If you buy the b52, every girl you've ever known (excluding your mum, sister etc.) will want to sit on your lap.

lol, now you should be a car salesman. good pitch! =P

i am a little worried though, because alotta reviews say they break very easliy...

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/B-52+Pro+Audio/AT-112+112+Combo/10/1

take a look. tell me what you think.
I say for those bands I would go with the line 6. I have that same schecter and I found some really good tones with the spider amps. I don't know why everyone hates them so much. And tubes do not equal better.
Quote by minchew
I say for those bands I would go with the line 6. I have that same schecter and I found some really good tones with the spider amps. I don't know why everyone hates them so much. And tubes do not equal better.

which is true, very true. i have some good tones on my current little **** of a line six. it's just too quiet for live stuff. i would get the b52 if... if i could try it and if i knew honestly how reliable they are. judging by the reviews and the fact that they are discontinued, they're not very reliable...
Quote by alexpalka23
lol, now you should be a car salesman. good pitch! =P

i am a little worried though, because alotta reviews say they break very easliy...

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/B-52+Pro+Audio/AT-112+112+Combo/10/1

take a look. tell me what you think.

well let me put it to you this way, people are more likely to write a bad review if they find something wrong with a product (because they are mad and wats to make sure that no one else makes the same mistake) than write a good review (because they are enjoying their product wayyy to much)
B-52 OWNERZ LINK!!!

GUITAR
AMP
PEDALS
MXR 108 10 Band EQ
ISP Noise Gate
SETUP
B52, reliability wasn't a problem with them, people do not dicontinue amps for that.
Sure, some Spiders are OK as practice amps, and you may think they sound awesome, but trying turning it up loud. Not so awesome anymore. At All.
I vote the B52, much better than any Spider in existance playing loud.
Quote by alexpalka23
which is true, very true. i have some good tones on my current little **** of a line six. it's just too quiet for live stuff. i would get the b52 if... if i could try it and if i knew honestly how reliable they are. judging by the reviews and the fact that they are discontinued, they're not very reliable...

Why do you call it **** if you "have some good tones" from it?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by bowen
B52, reliability wasn't a problem with them, people do not dicontinue amps for that.
Sure, some Spiders are OK as practice amps, and you may think they sound awesome, but trying turning it up loud. Not so awesome anymore. At All.
I vote the B52, much better than any Spider in existance playing loud.

exactly, and very very true as well, bowen. my line 6 sucks schlonkey at high volumes, and that's why i need a new amp. i can;t get my current one over half before it breaks up.
Quote by alexpalka23
i don;t find the tone horrable with my spider... just a little lacking. i don't need perfect tone but yes i could go for a change. i just want to play the b52 before i buy it, and i can't do that. should i still go for it at a risk of a 360 dollar loss?...

If you decide you don't like the B-52 you can just return it. Of course considering the place you order is kind enough to have a return policy.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Quote by acdclandon
Why do you call it **** if you "have some good tones" from it?

little **** meant little sh1t dude. it's small and can't get loud without sucking. it has some decent tone at times though. not perfect, but decent.

--- in a further note, why were the b52's discontinued then?
Quote by JF-SH1
If you decide you don't like the B-52 you can just return it. Of course considering the place you order is kind enough to have a return policy.

well yeah, i wouldn't be worried about the whole not liking it thing but... i've had some bad experiences with guitar center before on returns. you think they'll be merciful if i don't like it?
Quote by alexpalka23
little **** meant little sh1t dude. it's small and can't get loud without sucking. it has some decent tone at times though. not perfect, but decent.

Alright I'll just tell you this, the B-52 will kill your spider inside and out.

You won't want to return it, you'll want to sell your spider.

/thread
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
lol, alright so b52 it is then. within the next 2 weeks that's what i'm getting.
Quote by AloneInSpace
Get the B-52, you will not regret it. It is INFINITELY better than the Spider.

alright. that's what i'm going to do.
Quote by sg622
but the spider is Stereo...

was that sarcasm or what? lol. i think i like the b52 better.
4 ppl voted for the spider trolls? i hope so
Guitars:
Fender stratocaster california series (usa)
Gibson Les Paul classic (1960)
Amps:
ENGL Fireball 60W - Framus FR 2x12 Celestion v30's
Pedals: POD x3 LIVE, BOSS OD-1
GAS: Pedals
i saw a demo on youtube of the B52, it was great, amazing dist for metal, and immaculate cleans. Buy it
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
b52. Louder, sounds better louder, better tone, tubesss.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
If I remember right most of the reliability issues were with the first run overheating. All of them since have fans which have eliminated that problem.

The spiders on the other hand are quite glitchy and prone to odd computer problems. If reliability is important I'd steer clear of the spider.
If you think your 30 watt spider is crap, then why even consider something that is only going to be a louder version. the B-52 is the ONLY choice in this case.
I think the poll shows the truth.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Page 1 of 2