Hello All -

I'm trying to learn to play the guitar. Actually, it's only been about five weeks now. I have an instructional DVD that I've been trying to play along with. It's been going over the basic chords, and I've just started getting into movable power chords. I've also been trying to find songs on UG that lists chords vs. just tabs. I've noticed however that most of the music I like (Metallica is my favorite), doesn't seem to use chords. It's more like they just bounce all over the fretboard.
My question is this - Am I better off sticking with my DVD and learning the chords, or am I better off trying to learn the songs I like?
Thank you for any advice / input.
I've no experience with DVD's so i cant really comment however id definitely start learning songs that you enjoy. Not only will you gain motivation from it, you will learn techniques that they use.

Try and have a go at these if your a fan of Metallica.

Fade To Black (Excluding outro solo)
Nothing Else Matters
For Whom The Bell Tolls

Some of it may be a bit beyond your playing capabilities at the moment but stick at it and it'll come with some practice.
I started on an instructional DVD as well, it really helped me get down the basic chords that are frequently used in pop songs (E, A, D: powerchords, major triads, minor triads, barre chords, dominant chords, moveable chords). I also wanted to start learning songs I liked, but I quickly found out that I wasn't going to learn any Van Halen or Iron Maiden songs for quite awhile...so I searched around for songs that I knew I could manage. I've mostly tampered with Avril Lavigne, Blink-182, Sum 41 and Maroon 5 songs, since those contain the less complicated chord changes (mostly G, C, D, A, E, and moveable powerchords for Blink and Sum). I don't know if you're really into those artists or the style they play, but you might want to try branching out as much as you can- it'll make you more knowledgeable musically, and it will help you find songs that you can manage.

I would just finish up the DVD if I were you, and then move on to find some songs you can play. If it helps, here's a few songs that I started with:

Blink-182 - All the Small Things
Blink-182 - Dammit
Sum 41 - Pieces
Avril Lavigne - Nobody's Home
Avril Lavigne - Sk8er Boi
Avril Lavigne - Keep Holding On
Maroon 5 - She Will Be Loved
Tokio Hotel - Monsoon
Play anything you can find. Get tabs here, go to a music store and get some books. If you buy a book for a group, make sure it's got the notes/chords/tabs for the guitar along with the song notes. After a while you will be able to hear the notes/chords and play some things by ear. Try just picking up just a few notes that repeat and play those. I suggest starting with groups like 'Green Day' and 'The Chili Peppers' and of course the Beatles (Blackbird). Be diverse, it will keep you from getting bored.

Metallica:
Try this 'nothing else matters' - you-tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj-6YLpwVrw&feature=related

along with this - Ultimate - Just try the first part. Might not be too difficult.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/metallica/nothing_else_matters_ver7_tab.htm

Have fun!
I would definitely start playing some songs. IDK, but classes get a bit boring. In my case I didn't need them at all. I just read some pages about it online, learned the basic chords and now I just mess around with the guitar either trying my favorite bands' songs, or trying my own tunes. If you do it every day, you'll become a pro in no time.
"It's the pleasure of being loved,
being happy without much luck.
It's having a life like you never thought you would,
It's not a mistake, neither your death."

Written by someone who didn't care