Iv been playing bass for 2 years now and I just recently switched from playing pick to fingers but when I play with my finger I get a weird clanky noise a lot when im playing. Its not from hitting the string to hard cause it even sometimes happens when im playing softly. Its just really annoying to have a clanky noise coming out of my amp when I finger pluck! please help
It's gotta be the strings hitting the frets. either raise your action or try to pluck the strings in a more upward motion. or both.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Yeah, I use to do something like this. I kind of did more of a pluck on the strings as if I was halfway trying to play slap bass. I learnt to more roll my fingers over the strings in more of an upward motion as oppose to popping them.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG350DX
Dean V Dave Mustaine
VOX VT15
ESP LTD B-50
Peavey MicroBass 20w
Quote by Edgey_15
Yeah, I use to do something like this. I kind of did more of a pluck on the strings as if I was halfway trying to play slap bass. I learnt to more roll my fingers over the strings in more of an upward motion as oppose to popping them.

Yeah, this. But then it depends on what you're playing as to whether it's a good or bad thing. Look at Steve Harris, for example.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
i had this same issue with my ibanez when i first got it.
you need to raise the action of the strings because most of the time the action is wayyy too low so the horrible ringing happens
raise your action and when you play try to play more towards the bridge than the neck but when you tune down the clicking is sometimes unavoidable but it isnt necessarily a bad thing it just depends on what your playing