Well, I've run into a little snag with my drummer. Our songwriting process works like this: me and the other guitarist write a pretty much full song, and we bring it to the band. Our bassist has no problems at all coming up with his parts, and they always sound wicked cool, but our drummer just can't do anything. His parts are always off, and when we tell him off, he tells us we're stifling his creativity by writing everything beforehand.

However, when we try to do eveything as a full band, we get nothing accomplished because he gets frustrated sitting there while me and the other guitarists work out our parts, and he slams away on his drums, pissing us off.

Is there a way to work things out, or should we just find a different drummer?
The official Panamanian-Jamaican-Syrian-Canadian-American-Jew.

Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Spider III 120 Watt
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal
I Think You Should Speak Respectfully With Him And If It's Useless Than You Know What To Do...
Rainy Afternoon
Dark Punk Piece
Dead On The Sand
C4C
Member Of Paradox Empire (Singer/Guitarist).
Quote by T.s.e
Assholes aren't really more successful, it's just that they yell the loudest, therefore you notice them more than the nice people.
I thought so. Problem is, he's a good friend of mine, and I don't want to hurt the friendship.

Schecter C-1 Classic
How do you think his beats are off? I'm a drummer-converted to guitarist, so he might simply be doing some odd poly-rhythmic stuff that's hard to comprehend. But he's got an attitude or just honestly lay down a beat, it's time to to look for a new drummer.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this.

new drummer
Quote by Blackflame47
I thought so. Problem is, he's a good friend of mine, and I don't want to hurt the friendship.

tell him to take it professionally & just use that as sort of advice/critisism for any other band he may be apart of in the future & tell him to fuck off
Quote by cgolden
How do you think his beats are off? I'm a drummer-converted to guitarist, so he might simply be doing some odd poly-rhythmic stuff that's hard to comprehend. But he's got an attitude or just honestly lay down a beat, it's time to to look for a new drummer.

He's obviously off by a beat or more. He's not a very good drummer overall (only been playing for like 6 months).

Schecter C-1 Classic
Sounds like it's not going to work out with that drummer. man.
Talk to him about it first, as a band. IF that doesn't work, you'll have to dump him. Again, this should be done as a band.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
Quote by ParadoxEmpire
I Think You Should Speak Respectfully With Him And If It's Useless Than You Know What To Do...

Only The First Word Is Capitalized.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
It may be a good idea to try writing some drum beats and parts to your pieces, so that he has an idea what your looking for, or perhaps he might just play what you have written.

You may need to be more expressive on what you want out of the drums for specific pieces, he may just be in need of some direction. His attitude might be because of that as well.

If all else fails, new drummer.
(advice from a drummer)

play one riff on a loop and let him jam to it until he's got a good beat. if you don't like what he's come up with, you need to have suggestions for him

he should also practice a lot... to a metronome

if that doesn't work... talk to him before kicking him out, tell him he needs to shape up and give him a chance to before going through with it
Ok I dont honestly care what the last 2 guys said. This kid doesn't sound like a good drummer unless you guys are really off time-
My drummer comes up with parts to my songs on the fly and they are GOOD (IMHO). He're is the deal, this guy doesn't sound like he's very serious or good. IF you want to try, than keep playing sections over and over till he gets em. If not, tell him you need to talk about his practice schedule.
if you killed him you wouldn't have to worry about having a **** drummer or offending him by firing him. its surprisingly affordable to hire a hitman now days, these tough economic times mean the price of hired killing is dropping more than AIG shares
It depends whether it would take you longer to find a new drummer and gel with him or wait for this guy to actually learn how to drum. I think these guys are being a bit harsh on him considering he is just a beginner (6 months is nowt). On the other hand, if he's just being a tool....
Right about a year ago the band I'm in had a shocking drummer who could play ****. We gave it a rest as a band and went off in our own direction and used our own practice methods. We've just got back together and he's outclassed the rest of us.
He can now play Through the fire and flamesxD
Everyone in the band has upped there game and it's going great
So my advice would be to all have a break and get back together in a year or so....
hope i helped
lol i have this EXACT problem with my drummer also but of course i won't kick him hes the only drummer i know Anyone know any good drum sites that teach you how to play/practice properly from the ground up?