Ok i have had this for a month or two and i was wondering is the setting metal a normal distortion setting or is it a "special" setting for just the amp or brand cuz im getting a seymour duncan invader and they are best with distortion but if the metal setting isnt distortion am i going to have to get a distortion pedal?
the "metal" setting is just a type of distortion. "Distortion" just means anything that's not clean. i.e., your amp has a "clean" channel and a "distortion" channel, and on that distortion channel there are different kinds of distortion, one of which would be "metal"

did i oversimplify that?

the seymours will work fine in other words, or at least fine for the crappy amp.
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Last edited by emr_steelmech at Mar 8, 2009,
Too much crap being rammed into our brains.

Can you please put it into english?

Also sell the Spider and DON'T buy pickups, especially an Invader.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Seriously, don't listen to all the people who say Spiders suck. It's really ridiculous that an amp with so many tonal capabilities gets bashed so much. Stick with the Spider- get the footswitch and it's a great live amp.
Anyways, to your question, the metal and insane settings are both hi-gain distortion settings. So, no you do not need a pedal, unless you don't like the sound you're getting. If you dont, I recommend that you keep experimenting with the amp until you've exausted your tonal capabilities- you'll most likely find something that suits you before you ditch it.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Quote by cgolden
Seriously, don't listen to all the people who say Spiders suck. It's really ridiculous that an amp with so many tonal capabilities gets bashed so much. Stick with the Spider- get the footswitch and it's a great live amp.
Anyways, to your question, the metal and insane settings are both hi-gain distortion settings. So, no you do not need a pedal, unless you don't like the sound you're getting. If you dont, I recommend that you keep experimenting with the amp until you've exausted your tonal capabilities- you'll most likely find something that suits you before you ditch it.

Because an amp has so many "tonal capabilities" does not make it a good amp. especially when all those "tonal capabilities" are terrible sounding to begin with.

Do not buy a new pickup. It will barely make a difference to your tone. wait and save money, sell the amp then buy something that suits your tastes. but for now, play with the EQ.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
The spider does suck. But regardless it has enough distortion on it's high gain amp models. So I don't see what you are saying. If you aren't getting enough then something is wrong with your guitar. No you don't want to run a distortion pedal through it. That is pointless it already has plenty of high gain models.
Quote by sg622
Because an amp has so many "tonal capabilities" does not make it a good amp. especially when all those "tonal capabilities" are terrible sounding to begin with.

Do not buy a new pickup. It will barely make a difference to your tone. wait and save money, sell the amp then buy something that suits your tastes. but for now, play with the EQ.

Well he might actually need a new pickup if he's getting no distortion out of those amp models. Because he should have plenty unless he's got some really low gain pickup.
Quote by hcsn2008
Well he might actually need a new pickup if he's getting no distortion out of those amp models. Because he should have plenty unless he's got some really low gain pickup.

the pickup is the last thing he needs right now.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Alright, without straight out flaming the Spider III, your sound would be -much- better if you were to sell it and invest in a new amp before new pickups. I'd suggest something like a B-52 AT 112 if you're interested in playing some metal distortion types, with a decent clean channel. They're pretty affordable too.
If you already have the amp there is no point trying to sell it to "upgrade". You wouldn't make any money off buying an amp and selling it a month later.

I wouldn't recommend the Invader. Depending on the guitar you have, it's probably not worth a pickup change anyway.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The pickup isnt going to make any difference. Its a modelling amp so its designed to make anything played thru it sound the same. Put your pickup money in a fund for a better amp down the road. And a pedal isnt going to do you much good either. Deal with it as is give it a little time and it will develop 1 of its little electric gremlins and you will be looking for a better amp.