put some aloe on it
Quote by Dr. House
Nice vibe you just put out there. Its like daddy just hit mommy at the dinner table and we all still want to eat.
...does this count as a medical question?

edit: nvm, not the pit.
maybe talk to a doctor
Does it hurt like hell?

If so, that's a good thing.

NEVER put ice on a burn. Cold water. Ice makes it worse.

Stop the ice, run it under cold water.

EDIT: (I know this because I work in Fish and Chips, and have suffered about 30-40 burns all 1st-2nd degree, and one major 3rd degree on my right hand when hot oil was poured on it. Believe me, I know what should and shouldn't be done on a burn. Placing Ice causes frostburn where you've burned, actually worsening the situation. Cold water helps to remove the sting, but will cause no extra damage and actually help the plasma build up to form the blister).
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
Last edited by Mootallica at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by Mootallica
NEVER put ice on a burn. Cold water. Ice makes it worse.
yes.

Quote by Mootallica
Placing Ice causes frostburn where you've burned, actually worsening the situation.
yes.

Quote by Mootallica
Stop the ice, run it under cold water.
running water is fine to start with, but impractical for more than a minute or two.

a bowl with cold water should work better. really cold water or you can throw in a few ice cubes if you want. just don't hold the ice against your fingers.

gradually the water will warm up. and it makes it easy to wean yourself off the cold water without too much pain returning.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
did the same thing last time. way bending over to look at something, iron in right hand, pushed it right into my left hand and it burned a hole

i dont think i should even try to explain how painful it was
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
if it isnt even second degree, tho, dont worry, it wont kill you....

cold water ftmfw
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by Johansensan
did the same thing last time. way bending over to look at something, iron in right hand, pushed it right into my left hand and it burned a hole

i dont think i should even try to explain how painful it was

jesus christ! that makes what happened to me seem like nothing

at first it wasnt too bad because the ice numbed the pain out (i took it off once i saw what you guys said though), and now it's like my fingers are ****ing on fire
I burned myself at Wendy's yesterday on a fry basket fresh outta the oil.

Still hurts when i touch it.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
My cousin burned his entire right leg, 3rd degree burns. Pretty bad. He couldn't take a hot shower for like a month.

Anweyz, yeah, cold water. I would keep it in cold water for a while. After you sleep a night with it though, it'll usually feel a lot better.
do not pop the blister when it forms.

other than that put some anti-bacterial ointment on it, like neosporin. keep it bandaged and clean. be more careful in the future. and welcome to the club.

i'm sure everyone on here who wields a soldering iron has burned themselves on multiple occasions. it's part of the hobby. i wasnt paying attention one night last week and stupidly put my soldering iron down on my desk instead of the soldering iron holder. got sidetracked with a phone call and next thing i new part of my desk my charred up. a soldering iron, like any other tool, needs to be used safely.
I have nowhere to set my soldering gun when I'm not using it, really. So I stick to partway in the drawer of my nightstand and close it so the metal part is sticking out. While it was still on, I hit it with my elbow. My skin disintegrated instantly with a nice "ssssssss" sound. I was like "wooooah ". I might have a picture of it.
I've burned myself hundreds of times. When the blister forms, I usually poke a small hole in it after 2 or 3 days to drain it. This way, it heals faster (for me at least).

If you do that, DO NOT remove the excess skin. It protects the tender skin under it from outside stuffs. Just bandage it with some antibiotic ointment.
I've had 300+ degree oil get on me, and i couldn't completely wash i off, because the whole water oil thing, so i had to wait for it to finish burning my skin. Fun times, got a scar the size of a quarter.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by Invader Jim
I've burned myself hundreds of times. When the blister forms, I usually poke a small hole in it after 2 or 3 days to drain it. This way, it heals faster (for me at least).

If you do that, DO NOT remove the excess skin. It protects the tender skin under it from outside stuffs. Just bandage it with some antibiotic ointment.

i find a little drop of krazy glue a few days later keeps the skin flap from peeling off. (EDIT: on top of the flap just to stiffen it DO NOT GLUE THE SKIN FLAP TO THE WOUND OR ANYTHING UNDER YOUR SKIN) then again i've also given myself stitches using krazy glue so perhaps i'm not the best person to dole out medical advice.
Last edited by noisefarmer at Mar 8, 2009,
I've done the stitches thing too. I cut my fingert wide open while sharpening a sword and I cleaned it out and put super glue in it to hold it closed. Made a pretty good scar.
Quote by Invader Jim

ive had alot of first aid training and stuff and with any blister youre supposed to use a needle (hold a lit match to it for a few secs to sanitize it) and get all of the gross stuff out

but definatly DO NOT remove the excess skin. just as you said

Quote by dz_alias
My skin disintegrated instantly with a nice "ssssssss" sound. I was like "wooooah ".

that noise haunts me....
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
Last edited by Johansensan at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by Johansensan
that noise haunts me....

It wasn't that bad.

Just "sssss" and the whole top layer of skin was gone. It's almost healed now.
Quote by Schism1985
i just had a pretty epic fail with my soldering iron, burnt 2 fingers on my left hand pretty bad, it looks like a bad first degree, borderline second degree burn.

i'm already icing it, is there anything else i should do?

Pay someone that knows how to handle a hot iron to finish your project.
BLAZE ON!

2006 Epiphone '58 Korina V
2008 Aslin Dane Bohemian
Real Sound Mars Twin Tube Distortion/Overdrive
Crate dxj112 amp
Dunlop HighGain used as expression pedal
I had 400 degree canola oil from a popcorn kettle fall on my right hand.

*shutters*
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Ooh, it's turned into that scene from Lethal Weapon where they are comparing scars :P

My turn haha. My dad was welding something and his friend went to flip the chassis over and my dad accidentally grabbed some white hot metal. We would've burnt the crap out of his hand, but there was a bowl of axl grease right next to him...probably saved the functionality of his hand.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
In order to get my somewhat un-proffesional advice... I will need pics!
Put alchohol on it, that is a cheap anti-biotic and everyone has it.
Lots of Advil, enough so you don't pass out, but just enough to be high for an hour or so.
Try Polysporin too?
These are just guesses, I just looked in the bathroom drawer and found these(except advil, thats in my pocket at all times...)
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006

Lots of Advil, enough so you don't pass out, but just enough to be high for an hour or so.

wtf? advil doesnt work like that. it doesnt even work remotely like that.

high off advil? lmmfao!
I did the same a couple weeks back; was soldering away and needed to move my solder stand and for some reason it never entered my head that the spring would of course be hot too.
Had two bands of burnt skin on my left hand thumb and index since.

I was just tryna do three separate things with two hands.. not clever; I won't make the same mistake again.

---

Held under luke warm (NOT cold) water for 10-15 minutes. Repeat as necessary.
Go buy some Acriflex too, it's good stuff!
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Mar 9, 2009,
Had a similar thing on my index finger of my right hand. Got pushed right into a hot soldering iron.
I was like "ah ****" for a while holding it tight when I realised I should run it under cold water, by then it was a bit redundant though.
Hurt to pick for a week or so.

The blister really annoyed too as I just wanted to rip the bastard off.
No mark anymore though.
Quote by Johansensan
ive had alot of first aid training and stuff and with any blister youre supposed to use a needle (hold a lit match to it for a few secs to sanitize it) and get all of the gross stuff out

but definatly DO NOT remove the excess skin. just as you said

Yeah, I just dip said needle in isopropyl alcohol, though.
Pain's good, because it shows that the nerve endings haven't been destroyed. Prolonged contact with the ice would have the same effect as burning and destroy the nerve endings, which you don't want.

If you get a burn, run it under water until the sensation stops, then apply some antiseptic cream/lotion/ointment (whichever preparation you prefer) to the burn and cover with either a sterile dressing and bandage, or a sterile plaster (bandaid in the US?). With a quick burn like that, your tissue shouldn't retain much heat, so there's not much risk of continued damage. The cold water is purely to counteract the burning sensation, and to reduce swelling as part of the inflammatory response. The key point is to keep it clean - it'll probably weep a little for the first few days, but it should scab over nicely and heal. If you see any puss or it becomes encrusted and yellow, it's time to either scrub the **** out of it, or apply a toss-load more antiseptic cream.
got a hell of a steam burn one time, most of my right hand started to peel off
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
yaeh i get burned ocassionaly taking a pizza out o the oven and they all hurt like ****
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
I slightly burn myself with my soldering iron all the time, but it's never long enough to hurt. It just leaves little burn spots all over my hands and arms.
i have about 6 scars from soldering, the worst instance was when i wasnt payying attention to the iron i picked it up by the tip not the handle, te way i noticed was the smell as i didnt feel anything untill i realise **** was that painfull!!!

i had no use of those fingers for a fornight had to go to the doctors to get it seen too, scince then i bought a new stand where only the handle of the soldering irons showing and learnt to pay attention, the stand where it just props up the end of the iron are deadly
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
i have about 6 scars from soldering, the worst instance was when i wasnt payying attention to the iron i picked it up by the tip not the handle, te way i noticed was the smell as i didnt feel anything untill i realise **** was that painfull!!!

i had no use of those fingers for a fornight had to go to the doctors to get it seen too scince then i bought a new stand where only the handle of the soldering irons showing and learnt to pay attention, the stand where it just props up the end of the iron are deadly