So I have played guitar and bass for a while now, and I just found an old upright double bass in my high school band's storage room. I was told I could use it for our jazz band if I knew how to play it. Well, I am trying to figure it out, and I can get through the intonation and stuff, but one thing that is bothering me is how soft it is.

Whenever i pluck it, the bass gives a really dull sound and is really soft. I need it to be louder if I am playing it in a band. Is there some sort of technique to it that I don't get? I have been playing it with the double finger style that you use for electric bass, but the jazz style "flipper" thing doesn't make it any louder.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks,
ReChord

P.S: sorry if this is the wrong forum, but this was the only place I could think to post it.
when i started upright i was surprised at how low the volume was too.
when playing pizzicato style i kinda layer my middle finger over my index and use both.

a bow will make it louder when done right. but isn't traditionally used for jazz.
I play bass!
Get a piezo pup that fits under one foot of the bridge and plug that fella in.

If you can't mic it, make sure you play in the corner during a gig, you'll pick up a noticible amount of volume that way.

Some basses are just louder than others too.
Mic it or throw an acoustic pick up in it is that only ways I can think.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
You'll need either a pickup or bear hands to be heard over a big band. In the old days they used to need wooden floors that reflected the bass sounds as more a vibration than anything else, but thats changed now (thats why some of the original jazz bassists didn't need good intonation, you just needed the noise). Also make sure you're plucking more with the side of your finger and close to the end of the fingerboard. Be prepared for some blisters!
Play with upright-thumb style. I don't know exactly how it goes, but I know a kid on my floor cannot play guitar to save the life of him because he does this style (it has a lot of attack).

Can somebody explain what I'm talking about?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
if its been sitting around you may want to change the strings on it to get some more volume and tone out of it. Otherwise improve your plucking technique and/or get a pickup. I use a K&K pickup with a preamp for my bass when I play shows with it.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
If it's an old plywood job, like a Kay or something, it's not going to be as loud as a solid-wood dealie. But the solid-wood dealis isn't going to be as tough as the old plywood job.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..