Alright, so I finally decided to fork up the money to restring my Kramer....

This is my first time changing it, I got the strings on just fine. But when I tune it, sometimes they pop out from the Floyd Rose (yes, I made sure I tightened it tight and fed the string deep enough) but it's happened like 3 times on my D string.

More recently I decided to tune it again, and my tuner says its 'perfectly in tune' but when I play it it sounds like absolute ****.

Does anyone have some tips to avoid the strings popping out, and tuning for the first few times with a Floyd Rose?

Because I'm about to shoot myself trying to figure this out.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
Use a pair of Vice-grips.

EDIT: Ha... I saw you're playing a Kramer, which prolly means you have a Liscensed FR. Dude... I'm sorry.
Save up some money and buy an Original FR. It's the best investment (next the Dimebucker in it) that I've made on my ESP LTD.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
Last edited by cgolden at Mar 8, 2009,
That happened to me yesterday.
To tighten it better I put the bar in so I could raise the back end of the system up, making it easier to tighten it.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
When you re-strung it, did you use a different gauge sting set? If you did, you may have to adjust the spring tension in the back of the guitar. When tuning it, you usually need to go back and forth ( E, e, A, B, D, G, repeat) when tuning so the tension of the springs doesn't pull the strings out of tune. As for the strings popping out, are they breaking, or are they just coming out of the saddle?
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Quote by COBHC728
When you re-strung it, did you use a different gauge sting set? If you did, you may have to adjust the spring tension in the back of the guitar. When tuning it, you usually need to go back and forth ( E, e, A, B, D, G, repeat) when tuning so the tension of the springs doesn't pull the strings out of tune. As for the strings popping out, are they breaking, or are they just coming out of the saddle?

Just coming out of the saddle. I have it tightened to the point of where I feel if I tighten anymore I may just break something...

I also do not know if I used a different gauge string set. It was my grandpa's Kramer and it was passed down to me when he died from cancer... so I know next-to-nothing about the guitar itself, I used an internet tutorial to even figure out how to replace the strings, and tuning it is just torture.....

I'll do the E, e, A, B, D, G... I was tuning it straight down.... >.>

If my strings were breaking, I'd be mad enough to just play on my Fender. $14 would be down the drain (half my weeks pay...)

if you tighten it too much you will cause the strings to flatten and that will make strings slip out, so just enough pressure should do. if you`re tunning it make sure to re check all the other strings because tune each string up to pitch will throw the rest off balance, thats why there are fine tunners and if last that doesnt work it means your intonation is off check the open string to see if they`re in tune and then the 12 fret of the same string and if it off adjust your intonation
I don't tighten to much, don't want to snap my new strings.

I know about the tuning one string up to pitch throws the rest of balance (thanks to my cousin David)

I know about the Fine Tuners (I just want my guitar -somewhat- in tune... so I can actually use those... lol)

Intontation?

/You're talking to a guitar noob. I can play, and I know my music theory. I only recently found out where the action is.

lol sorry , just making sure, it could be you`re trem is old and the knife edges are dull, well anyways intonation is to see if you neck is in tune all the way down the neck, there is a thread where you can learn how to set it up in the stickies look it up
Well it was perfectly fine before I got the new strings. (I just happened to snap my A string while tuning, wasn't paying attention and it reached the bottom of the length... last time I try to use my grandpas old tuner /I blame my Dad for that one..)

So since I snapped my A string, and the strings were old, I figured it's time to change the strings.

Little did I know it would lead me to the largest hassle of my life -_-

My electronic tuner says its perfectly in tune, but whenever I play a chord or a lick, etc. It sounds like complete ****, horribly out of tune, etc...

ugh... I'm about to say screw it -_- I'll take it to a guitar shop or something next weekend..

EDIT:

Apparently, if the base plate is parrallel with the body, you have the right gauge strings.... so I'm lucky on that part.

But urgh... tuning this is.... :/ ....

Last edited by Invokke_Havokk at Mar 8, 2009,
if your open strings are in tune but it sounds out of tune when you play, you need to adjust your intonation. What that means is you need to adjust the length of each string from the nut to the trem until the 12th fret is exactly the same note as the open string (since they are octaves). First tune your open strings perfectly, then play the 12th fret on one string at a time. If the 12th fret is higher in pitch than the open string, then the string needs to be longer, if the pitch is lower, then it needs to be shorter. On an LFR usually there is an allen nut that allows you to move the saddle back and forth. The process may take a while but its worth it.

If that was unclear just search around in UG's articles, I know there was a good one about intonation somewhere, thats how I learned how to do it
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
Last edited by emr_steelmech at Mar 8, 2009,
Ok, I got it a little better.

Adjusted the spring tension.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/set_up_for_floyd_rose.html

I think I can get it from here.... I'll edit/bump this if I can't >.>

*****, I forgot to fully tighten the high e string last night, it came undone and just whacked my hand T_T...*

This might seem obvious but - make sure you aren't snipping too much off the end when cutting the balls off. Cut right up against the ball and leave the section where the string wraps around itself intact.
Ya, I did that. I made sure to cut off as little of the string as possible.

(I will also mention I started this at my friends house last night, with no internet, no resources, and my first time... it took me like 30 minutes to figure out how to get the old strings out, I noticed there wasn't a ball on the end, so I cut JUST that part off the new strings, stringed them how the old strings were, and sorta 'made do' with common sense.)

I just learned about the spring tension, being level with the base, and all that... so I changed the spring tension, and now it seems its going into tune much better.

Although I'm bleeding from my thumb from where my high e string whacked me from my stupidity... I think I should be alright

/but if I am not, I'll be back

So the string keeps popping out of the saddle, correct?

I would inspect the block or string lock inserts, the tiny metal square inside the saddle that is pressed against the string, if it's in backwards or upside down it just doesn't work as well. It's also common for cheaper guitars to use softer metals for the blocks, causing them to wear out shortly after purchase.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
So the string keeps popping out of the saddle, correct?

I would inspect the block or string lock inserts, the tiny metal square inside the saddle that is pressed against the string, if it's in backwards or upside down it just doesn't work as well. It's also common for cheaper guitars to use softer metals for the blocks, causing them to wear out shortly after purchase.

The part with the little circle indent (assuming block)? Which way/side should it be facing?

(It's a Kramer Classic II, and I don't think the FR is liscenced.)

Quote by Invokke_Havokk
The part with the little circle indent (assuming block)? Which way/side should it be facing?

(It's a Kramer Classic II, and I don't think the FR is liscenced.)

Make sure the square end is up and the circle is towards the locking screw.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Make sure the square end is up and the circle is towards the locking screw.

I'm ****ing retarded. /the quoted should have been common sense.

Now I see why I've been having such difficulties. I had it backwards.