I was looking into a Engl Screamer 50 combo, but yesterday I was in Guitar Center and they happened to have a H&K Trilogy.

And I loved it.
So much so that I decided to look into H&K. The Trilogy is a bit rich for my blood; but the Switchblade 50 combo is an option. Does the Switchblade sound even remotely close to the Trilogy? And how does it compare to the Engl? I mainly play progressive metal, 80's shred stuff, and neoclassical.
You should most definitely try them all out and listen for yourself.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
I love ENGL. Powerball FTW.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Quote by Soul Eater
You should most definitely try them all out and listen for yourself.

Nowhere around me stocks these amps. It was by chance that GC even had a Trilogy, as they usually only have crappy used gear.
well, personally, a ENGL is better for recording and its tailored to sound more br00tal, a switchblade is more versatile and tailored to do everything, its for those guitar players that would play blues clean to pop punk clean stuff to metallica stuff and all the between in a matter of a a could of foot switches. So really if you want a sweet distorted tone and a pretty decent clean, ENGL all the way, want something with versatility, switchblade.
What about a Peavey 6505? They are definitely in my budget, and I know that a bunch of metal bands use them. I'm looking for a tight, defined sound.
Look at used Mesa Mark IV/III combos if you want a tight sound with some versitality. 5150's are good, but the stock speaker is pretty meh and the cleans arent good either.
Quote by BeethovensBust
What about a Peavey 6505? They are definitely in my budget, and I know that a bunch of metal bands use them. I'm looking for a tight, defined sound.

They're good for high-gain and nothing else. Also, they are noisy as **** when you crank the gain up. Not to mention they aren't very durable.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
Hmmm...

I could get the Trilogy head, but right now I only have my Krank 1x12 cab. Would it run through that? The cab is rated for 16 ohms. not sure what the Trilogy is rated for.
i didn't really like the switchblade. that being said, i've liked the other H&Ks I've tried. Up to you, really, they both make nice amps. if you're in the USA, there might be better-value homegrown options, though- soldano, vht, bogner, splawn etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by COBHC728
They're good for high-gain and nothing else. Also, they are noisy as **** when you crank the gain up. Not to mention they aren't very durable.

agreed for the most part except for the bolded part.
These amps are built like tanks.
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
Ibanez S470 DXQM
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Original Crybaby