Before anyone tells me to use the search bar, I have and it has not given me the answers that I need. I'm looking for a good overdrive pedal, and have obviously heard of the famous Ibanez TS9.

My question is, what is the difference between the Ibanez and Maxon ... and secondly, what is the difference between the 9 and the 808 models?

(More specifically, Ibanez TS9, Ibanez TS808, Maxon OD9, Maxon OD808)
Main Gear:
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe (Modded)
Fender MIM Strat
Ibanez Acoustic
Vox VR15

Saving For:
Peavey Classic 30
Maxon, who used to make the TS line, brought the old Ibanez quality with them to their new company. Ibanez now uses cheaper parts to make their pedals.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Well they all just sound different. A lot of people are preferring the maxon nowadays. Out of all the ones I tried I prefer the digitech hardwire OD. It's 100 bucks.. True bypass and sounds amazing. Not a huge fan of the originals.
i've been wondering the same thing for a while now

i hear the TS808 is smooter sounding than the TS9?
Top lel.
Quote by Soul Eater
Maxon, who used to make the TS line, brought the old Ibanez quality with them to their new company. Ibanez now uses cheaper parts to make their pedals.

this-er-ooni.

the actual difference? as someone said, the 808 is a bit smoother, more "organic" sounding, where the 9 is more modern-ish OD sounding in my opinion.
The difference between the 808 and 9 is two resistors.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The difference between the 808 and 9 is two resistors.

Ok ... how does this affect output? Is it warmer, brighter, darker, higher, lower, etc?
Main Gear:
Fender MIM Strat
Ibanez Acoustic
Vox VR15

Saving For:
Peavey Classic 30
I dunno, I've never built a 9. I'm pretty sure that one of those resistors give the pedal more gain, don't quote me on that though.
So one has an extra resistor? Or are there two extra resistors? And do you know which one has the extra?
Main Gear:
Fender MIM Strat
Ibanez Acoustic
Vox VR15

Saving For:
Peavey Classic 30
Quote by hendricks.89
So one has an extra resistor? Or are there two extra resistors? And do you know which one has the extra?

Oops, sorry. Two different resistor values. Everything is the same, two resistors have a different values.

And actually, if I remember right, one affects the amount of gain, the other affects the input resistance which affects the is responds to the guitar.
ts808 is slightly darker sounding than the ts9, fatter sounding and has more gain
Quote by al112987
ts808 is slightly darker sounding than the ts9, fatter sounding and has more gain

See ... this is the type of answer I've been looking for. Any idea if this applies to the Maxon OD9 vs OD808 line as well?
Main Gear:
Fender MIM Strat
Ibanez Acoustic
Vox VR15

Saving For:
Peavey Classic 30
Sorry, his was just straightforward and blunt ... I like the idea that it is smoother. By more "Organic" do you mean that it is more true to the original tone of the guitar/amp?

Also, you said ts9 is more modern sounding, by my thinking that would be higher gain ... which isn't what al112987 said. What do you mean by more modern sounding, I'm sorry; I just don't understand?
Main Gear:
Fender MIM Strat
Ibanez Acoustic
Vox VR15

Saving For:
Peavey Classic 30
Quote by hendricks.89
Sorry, his was just straightforward and blunt ... I like the idea that it is smoother. By more "Organic" do you mean that it is more true to the original tone of the guitar/amp?

Also, you said ts9 is more modern sounding, by my thinking that would be higher gain ... which isn't what al112987 said. What do you mean by more modern sounding, I'm sorry; I just don't understand?

yeah, organic is warmer, more like a tube amp, and more dynamic.

by "modern" OD i do mean a little more gain-y, more "in your face"

sorry for the confusion
imo, neither are modern sounding, they have a very similar voice, but the 808 is just fatter, a little less high end, more gain and more harmonic complexity.
Awesome, sorry for my confusion ... so by the sounds of it, I think I'm going to go with the Maxon OD808.

I like the fatter, harmonic, and dynamic characteristics. Thanks again for all your help guys!
Main Gear:
Fender MIM Strat
Ibanez Acoustic
Vox VR15

Saving For:
Peavey Classic 30
Quote by hendricks.89
Awesome, sorry for my confusion ... so by the sounds of it, I think I'm going to go with the Maxon OD808.

I like the fatter, harmonic, and dynamic characteristics. Thanks again for all your help guys!

+1

not my thread, but it has helped me decide
Top lel.