Hey i was just wondering if people here who gig that play songs with different tunings take more than one guitar to the gig, or do they have a distraction and tune the guitar in between songs? And if you do play more than 2 different tunings (standard, drop D, two steps down) and the different tuning is for ONE song, do you buy any cheap guitar just for the one song? I hope i explained my question right...
poop. funniest word ever.
Well, I already have 2 guitars, and I do use diffrent tunings so I bring them both to my gigs, one for standard/drop D, one for D standard and Drop C. Its much more convenient to just switch guitars then tune all the strings. Also, a distraction for while you switch is still good lol.
Standard to Drop D and vice-versa can be done in less that 10 seconds to a guy with a good ear, so If you do something like dropping it shouldn't need two guitars.

Quote by Kilimacory
depends on the distraction... what did u have in mind?

A Dancing monkey would work for 10 seconds lol.
Last edited by Life Is Brutal at Mar 8, 2009,
I used to take more than one guitar to a gig. But it just got to be too much of a hassle for me. I suggest your band picks one tuning and sticks with it. Or try re-arranging your songs to be in one tuning, or play your one song that's two steps down and just play it in standard. There are many options.
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
I would only do it if I had to change from E Standard to Eb, or something that is involves tuning more than one string.

If it is just Drop D, you can tune it in a few seconds.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Mar 8, 2009,
i always bring two. just in case a string breaks too or something
myspace.com/crystalignition
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Standard to Drop D and vice-versa can be done in less that 10 seconds to a guy with a good ear, so If you do something like dropping it shouldn't need two guitars.

A Dancing monkey would work for 10 seconds lol.

It takes me about 3 seconds (max) to drop d.
███████████████████████████████████
well mostly we play pop punk and some Weezer and most of weezers songs are a half step down and then theres like 3 different tunings in 3 different very popular blink songs (down, adams song, felling this) and i bought an epiphone sg special for all the weezer songs (not a bad guitar for $160) and i have my strat for standard and my epiphone es 333 for newer blink songs. And by distractions i mean our immature comedic banter
poop. funniest word ever.
2-3 Guitars per gig as safety nets against String breakage or other malfunctions.
I also carry a spare amp, plus more batteries, leads, strings, straps than is good for anyone.
ok yes tuning to drop D is VERY easy and quick
but is it hard with a floyd rose? (i don't own one)
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Quote by Josher.K
ok yes tuning to drop D is VERY easy and quick
but is it hard with a floyd rose? (i don't own one)

It's harder but not hard, I tend to set up my fine tuners so that I can switch to drop tunings without having to unlock the nut and fiddle with it. Of course you have to re-tune all the strings but I have it memorized where my fine tuners should be to go from D standard to Drop C.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
Always two guitars; always.
One in Eb-standard, the other the same but drop-Db.
Then if I do break a string, I can just tune up or down to drop-Db as needed.
404: Sig not found.