I understand that all of practicing for cleaness is slowing down, but how should I go about this w/ sweeps? As I understand it, sweeping is playing a chord, so that means I should just pick it quickly; the trouble is, for longer sweeps (like a 5 string Em sweep), I have trouble making the right movements w/ my left hand to keep up.

How should I practice 5 string sweeps?
You're thinking Arpeggio, not sweeping.

Slow it down, learn how to do sweep with your right hand. Just practice the picking.

Make it even, smooth, DDDDUUUUDDDDUUUUDDDDUUUU, make it comfortable at slow speeds.

Then at slow speeds throw in the left hand.

Make sure to release the note before moving onto the next string.

Speed it up when it sounds perfect.

Repeat.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)
About how slow should I be going? I have no trouble w/ 3 strings at about 600 notes per minute, but I cannot get the 5-string movements fluid at 60 BPM.
As I understand it, sweeping is playing a chord, so that means I should just pick it quickly; the trouble is, for longer sweeps (like a 5 string Em sweep), I have trouble making the right movements w/ my left hand to keep up.

Then you focus on that co-ordination until you have both hands perfectly in synch. Play incredibly slowly, focus on tone and precision, repeat until it's effortless and clean. That's it.