could anyone explain to me how the british health care system actually works? im doing a debate on whether the U.S. should adopt a national health care system, and i wanted to get opinion overseas on how you guys like your own healthcare system.

i dont think this counts as a political thread either so...yeah.
Basically it's funded with taxes so you don't need insurance to pay for any treatment you may need. Some things aren't covered by the NHS such as cosmetic procedures and stuff like that so that would need to be paid for by the patient. Theres also the option of going private for your medical needs but you still need to pay health tax either way.
Quote by metaldud536
British people should be asleep by now.

You aren't usually on the pit at 1:45 at night?
Quote by Kurt123
could anyone explain to me how the british health care system actually works? im doing a debate on whether the U.S. should adopt a national health care system, and i wanted to get opinion overseas on how you guys like your own healthcare system.

i dont think this counts as a political thread either so...yeah.

NHS = National Health service

This means it is national within the united kingdom. Everyone living in the UK has NHS treatment available to them.

This is great for english people.

However.

Many flock from other countries to benefit from our service which is dreadfully wrong.

for instants. Lets take 'Patel' from calcutta (back problem), he seeks asylum here and gains his human rights and has the NHS available to him for free treatment.

because his country is so Sh!t and he fails hard at life, He has to bring his scrotum like body to the Uk and wreck the identity of this country even more, take benifits and get free health care which he cannot afford in his own country.

This Goes for many other people and countries who strive to live in the UK for these benefits and it annoys me a lot!

We did not build this country for others......
Quote by Snake_42
Basically it's funded with taxes so you don't need insurance to pay for any treatment you may need. Some things aren't covered by the NHS such as cosmetic procedures and stuff like that so that would need to be paid for by the patient. Theres also the option of going private for your medical needs but you still need to pay health tax either way.

so are there long waiting periods in order to see a doctor? if you had a choice, would you rather have private health care?
Quote by Minkaro
It's twenty to two in the morning in England. We're all asleep.

We sure are
Stupid body clock
Quote by metaldud536
I think it's 2:45 at night over there.

nope. an hour earlier
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Quote by metaldud536
I think it's 2:45 at night over there.

nope its 1.45

anyway, i love it, ****ty care? its the same care, and its not like you break your arm and have to wait 3 weeks. you get care immediatly if its required.
I wont move back to the US until they adopt an NHS of some sort, If i get hurt I dont want to be refused treatment because my insurance doesnt cover it, If I have a kid I dont wanna have to pay hospital bills, if i get cancer i dont want to perhaps beat it and then lose my house due to medical bills.
I've had no problem with it. If you're waiting a long time to see a doctor, the blame mostly goes to the doctor, not the whole tax funded NHS system.
Fortunately I havn't had to go to hospital many times and certainly not for anything serious. I can walk into my local GP's office and be seen by a doctor the next day. My gran recieved for the most part excellent cancer treatment for a number of years. A national health service is a necessity IMO.
Quote by SuperJoop
NHS = National Health service

This means it is national within the united kingdom. Everyone living in the UK has NHS treatment available to them.

This is great for english people.

However.

Many flock from other countries to benefit from our service which is dreadfully wrong.

for instants. Lets take 'Patel' from calcutta (back problem), he seeks asylum here and gains his human rights and has the NHS available to him for free treatment.

because his country is so Sh!t and he fails hard at life, He has to bring his scrotum like body to the Uk and wreck the identity of this country even more, take benifits and get free health care which he cannot afford in his own country.

This Goes for many other people and countries who strive to live in the UK for these benefits and it annoys me a lot!

We did not build this country for others......

but not the welsh, or scots? cheers for reinforcing the english stereotype that makes so many of my fellow scots hate the english, britain is bigger the england, remember it.
Quote by Kurt123
so are there long waiting periods in order to see a doctor? if you had a choice, would you rather have private health care?

There can be long waiting periods because of a high patient:doctor ratio, usually for more serious operations or whatever. Then again, it may just be because theres a crapton of paperwork to get through. I'm not sure.

If it was a choice between using only the NHS or private doctors, I'd probably stick with the NHS simply because not everyone has the money to pay their own medical bills and I keep myself fairly healthy anyway. If I needed treated for cancer or whatever I'd prefer to go private, just to know I'd actualy get treated when I needed it. Not everyone has that option though so it's good to have both.
Quote by Minkaro
Are you sure you're not drunk?

no, I actually just found your conversation rather humorous, and was considering both of you for my list of awesome UGers, but you ruined it. you GET NOTHING!
Quote by stephen_rettie
but not the welsh, or scots? cheers for reinforcing the english stereotype that makes so many of my fellow scots hate the english, britain is bigger the england, remember it.

Also, this. Remember it was a Scottish king that united the kingdoms.
Quote by stephen_rettie

DUH!...I do know that.

We subsidize your bloody country anyway!

Anyway, aren't you polish?
Quote by CoreysMonster
no, I actually just found your conversation rather humorous, and was considering both of you for my list of awesome UGers, but you ruined it. you GET NOTHING!

Have I told you...lately...that I love you?
Quote by drunkinkoala
British people are usually British.

Well said
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by CoreysMonster

NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

*drops down to knees*

O LAWD WRY?
Quote by SuperJoop
DUH!...I do know that.

We subsidize your bloody country anyway!

Anyway, aren't you polish?

Arent you an idiot? yes.

'The Total UK Taxation Revenues for the year to the 5th April 1999 were £356,800.000 Million pounds (356.8 Billions) let us assume that figure is 100% of the total Taxation. Scotland with 8.6% of the population contributed £41,346,600 Million Pounds (41.346 Billions) or 11.6% of the total UK Tax revenues. In return, under the Barnet Formula, Scotland received £12.2 Billion Pounds or 3.4%!'
Quote by stephen_rettie
Arent you an idiot? yes.

'The Total UK Taxation Revenues for the year to the 5th April 1999 were £356,800.000 Million pounds (356.8 Billions) let us assume that figure is 100% of the total Taxation. Scotland with 8.6% of the population contributed £41,346,600 Million Pounds (41.346 Billions) or 11.6% of the total UK Tax revenues. In return, under the Barnet Formula, Scotland received £12.2 Billion Pounds or 3.4%!'

*yawn*

Can't be doing with your BS.
Quote by SuperJoop
*yawn*

Can't be doing with your BS.

im sorry did that reading tire you out? dont strain your brain by trying to say anything even remotely intelligent, go back to reading about jade goody.
Quote by stephen_rettie
im sorry did that reading tire you out? dont strain your brain by trying to say anything even remotely intelligent, go back to reading about jade goody.

Laugh it up Joopy!.......