I play currently play a strat, but I want to get into bass. My price range is as much as a basic squier starter package. I like the sound of the p bass. but i have little tiny hands. so i guess the question is how much smaller is the j bass neck than the p bass (is it so much that the playing will suffer) and i am smart enough to test them both out before i buy one, i just want to get an idea of the situation
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Hand size really has bugger all to do with anything. Just try them both. You should easily be able to get around both necks.

Is this really the consensus? I have smaller hands and usually get a lot of cramping and discomfort in my left (fretting) hand when playing on my p-bass, an issue that comes up only very rarely when playing my jazz.

It's not a matter of form; my form has been evaluated and approved by instructors on both basses. I'm always careful to warm up properly and such as well.

All that said, I agree that of course the TS should just try them to see what feels better.
I don't really find there to be THAT much of a difference between the 2 as far as necks go.
I dislike P's for the thicker necks. I have real small hands and it's just not comfortable for me to play them.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
To answer the question, there is a noticable difference between J and P necks, and it is a factor for many players. According to the Squier website, the fingerboard radii are 9.5" for both, but widths at nut are, J: 1.50", P:1.625".
I too have small hands and it was a problem at first but at some time in the first year I stopped noticing it as a problem. You just get stronger and more flexible with practice I guess and I suppose it depends on your playing style. As a guitarist you should be halfway there with strength anyway although you do use slightly different muscles playing bass.

Just try them and have a look at offerings from Peavey and Yamaha too.