So basically I'm trying to figure out which speakers to put into my cab. I'm going for an Avatar Traditional. Now I'm trying to decide if I should go with a 212H that has Some form or Celestion or if I should go with the 112W and put in Alnico Blues for the same price? Is there that big a difference between the 212H and the 112W?
Feed your mind.
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
212 has more headroom

Headroom as in it's just easier to fit a larger Head on it?
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread

LULZ
No, he means the highest volume you can go without breakup (as in clipping/distortion).
Quote by bulletrocks522
LULZ
No, he means the highest volume you can go without breakup (as in clipping/distortion).

Oh alright. So how loud could a 112 get with two 15w speakers? Further than a combo amp with one 15w speaker?
Feed your mind.
Quote by al112987
what amp are you using this cab with

A 1963 Fender Bassman.
Feed your mind.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Very, very loud.

Mind clarifying that response?
Feed your mind.
Don't even think about running a single alnico blue through that amp.
Quote by al112987
Don't even think about running a single alnico blue through that amp.

No I just want to compare to my current amp which has one 15w speaker to the Cab.

Quote by acdcrocks0323
Louder than you would ever need it for the genres you want to play.

I personally don't think Alnico blues are a good fit for a bassman.

Well if I'm gonna be playing stuff from the 60's (Hendrix stuff. Nice cleans but also Fuzz.) what would you suggest?
Feed your mind.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Celestion G12M

The heritage series? And should I put two in or a g12m and a g12h?

Also no one answered how loud a 112 is before it breaks up. Compared to say a Blues Junior.
Feed your mind.
It depends on the amp you're putting through it.

If you're putting 10-15 watts into the speaker, you will get a fair amount of speaker breakup.

if you're putting a 40 watt bassman into the speaker, you will get a dead speaker.
Quote by al112987
It depends on the amp you're putting through it.

If you're putting 10-15 watts into the speaker, you will get a fair amount of speaker breakup.

if you're putting a 40 watt bassman into the speaker, you will get a dead speaker.

Well that wouldn't be good. So do I need two 40w speakers or two 20w?
Feed your mind.
it also depends on your pickups, personal string attack, et cetera

this is religion, not science
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
For a 40 watt amp, I would try to have around 70-80 watts of power handling, 60 watts at least. You might be able to get away with a Celestion Alnico Gold if you're not cranking the amp, but even then, I've blown out a 50 watt speaker with a 30-35 watt JTM45 before.

Either way, I typically like 2x12s over 1x12s. 1x12s are notorious for boxy tone due to the projection. Low end tends to get a little bit boomy as well.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Two 20W so go with two Greenbacks (aka G12m)

Ya but should I go with a g12m and a g12h or two g12m's?
Feed your mind.
Last edited by Firebread at Mar 8, 2009,
For a Fender I wouldn't go with Celestions period. If I had to pick a pair of Celestions I'd use g12h30s.

I'm not getting it, do you want more or less speaker distortion? Some people like having some speaker breakup, but too much and you start getting cone cry which just sounds bad.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by al112987
For a Fender I wouldn't go with Celestions period. If I had to pick a pair of Celestions I'd use g12h30s.

I'm not getting it, do you want more or less speaker distortion? Some people like having some speaker breakup, but too much and you start getting cone cry which just sounds bad.

I want enough headroom to be able to play cleans...cleanly. But I also want to be able to turn on an OD or a Fuzz.
Feed your mind.
Quote by Firebread
I want enough headroom to be able to play cleans...cleanly. But I also want to be able to turn on an OD or a Fuzz.

headroom has nothing to do with whehter or not you can turn on an OD or fuzz.
Quote by al112987
headroom has nothing to do with whehter or not you can turn on an OD or fuzz.

If I'm breaking up to early it can mess up my OD.
Feed your mind.
plenty of people use overdrives with amps and speakers being pushed. See just about every classic rock artist of the 60s and 70s that ran huge Marshall superleads and used fuzz boxes and overdrives.

It's very simple, use higher wattage speakers if you don't want speaker breakup.
Quote by al112987
plenty of people use overdrives with amps and speakers being pushed. See just about every classic rock artist of the 60s and 70s that ran huge Marshall superleads and used fuzz boxes and overdrives.

Well I find that on my current amp, if it's already breaking up the OD can get kinda funky.

Edit: And would you say two G12h30's or maybe a G12H30 and a Vintage 30?
Feed your mind.
Last edited by Firebread at Mar 8, 2009,
For a Fender.... neither. I'd go with some Jensens or the Patriot series Eminience speakers.

al112987 probably cannot simplify what he's said any more than what has been said. You gotta reread and try to comprehend this man, he knows his stuff, and it has been presented well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Alright I need opinions. I have two cabs in mind. A Trutone 212 partial open back, or this

"I've decided to sell my Fender Tone-Master 212 cab. I'm not gigging right now and am looking to downsize a bit, so this is up for grabs.

These were a Custom Shop offering and were only around for a little while. Absolutely amazing cabs. It's rough blonde tolex with oxblood grille, tilt-back legs and piggy-back hardware on top. Loaded with a pair of Celestion Vintage 30s and it's rated up to 160 watts.

Cosmetically it's in pretty good shape, with just a few minor nicks and marks. Functionally it's in perfect condition and sounds fantastic! The construction of the cab is really impressive - each speaker is front-loaded and housed in its own separate compartment, and the cab's back is fully closed. The result is a sound that is tight throughout the whole range of the guitar and punchy as all get out! My Bassman on 5 through this cab will run me right out of the basement, and it's definitely the type of tone you feel and hear. The bass is especially tight, and the V30s sound great clean and even better with a little dirt.

I've rewired it from 16 ohms to 4 - the speakers are each 8 ohms - so it's ready for vintage Fender heads or can easily be swapped back with about 5 minutes worth of soldering.

The closest thing to these Fender currently offers are the Super Sonic cabs, which retail for $800 and don't have the piggyback hardware. I'm asking $400 plus shipping or best reasonable offer. Feel free to pm/email me with any questions, and thanks for looking!

"

both are 400.
Feed your mind.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I don't think the V30s will sound good with a bassman at all.

Everyone who I've talked to accept for here has told me to use V30's.
Feed your mind.
Dude, do what you want. A 412 full of greenbacks would sound better, IMO, but V30s are good speakers.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Firebread

This reminded me of when someone in my science class thought a foreskin was the skin on your forehead

In terms of 2 mediocre speakers vs 1 good speaker, it's quality over quantity. What's the point in having more of something that doesn't sound great.

That being said, with a single speaker, you're going to need to at the very least match the amps RMS wattage, with maybe 10% to spare, so you're looking at a fairly high rate speaker.

Also, be sure to match speaker ohmage to amp impedance, because you're risking you're amp with a mis-matched cab.
Quote by Mathamology
This reminded me of when someone in my science class thought a foreskin was the skin on your forehead

In terms of 2 mediocre speakers vs 1 good speaker, it's quality over quantity. What's the point in having more of something that doesn't sound great.

That being said, with a single speaker, you're going to need to at the very least match the amps RMS wattage, with maybe 10% to spare, so you're looking at a fairly high rate speaker.

Also, be sure to match speaker ohmage to amp impedance, because you're risking you're amp with a mis-matched cab.

Haha I think you missed the newest question. And yes I am a newb to Cab+Head terms seeing as how I'm a combo guy, but hey, if my learning entertains you guys, than great. xD
Feed your mind.