Page 1 of 2
I was just browsin around on Ebay, and I noticed that SG's are fractions of the price of Les Pauls... why is that?
because les pauls are les pauls, they use more wood and generally sell better then SGs so gibson feels that they can charge more then they are worth simply because people want to play what slash plays or *insert lp players name here* plays.
Les elaborate finishes, less wood, etc.

EDIT: I about fell out of my chair when I saw your post rafa.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
Last edited by Gibson V at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by stephen_rettie
because les pauls are les pauls, they use more wood and generally sell better then SGs so gibson feels that they can charge more then they are worth simply because people want to play what slash plays or *insert lp players name here* plays.

Believe it or not, people were playing les pauls before slash ever had one. Don't be hatin cause you aren't known for playing a certain kind of guitar.
Quote by rafa7008

I don't know why but I lol'd when I saw it.

^Thats why they are so much more expensive. The Jonas Brothers, the most metal band ever, uses them.
Now that I have researched guitars for about 6 months, I feel that Sg's have a pretty cool look as well as Les Pauls. But, back when I first started looking into guitars and still played guitar hero, I felt that the SG was ugly as s***. I don't know...
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Quote by Arzon
Now that I have researched guitars for about 6 months, I feel that Sg's have a pretty cool look as well as Les Pauls. But, back when I first started looking into guitars and still played guitar hero, I felt that the SG was ugly as s***. I don't know...

i thought every guitar that wasnt a strat or a explorer as i used the music game combo of GH II/Rock Band. Now i think if its not a tele its ugly
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
^Thats why they are so much more expensive. The Jonas Brothers, the most metal band ever, uses them.

Oh defenitly, cuz everyone wants to be like the Joe Bros.
Quote by \m/Angus\m/

i realy hope that's sarcasm lol
Quote by rafa7008

I don't know why but I lol'd when I saw it.

Everytime I see them, I think to myself how they DO NOT deserve the quality of gear they play with
Quote by SG_Player93
i realy hope that's sarcasm lol

I really hope you didn't actually have any doubt that it was sarcasm.
Quote by bigfoamfinger
Everytime I see them, I think to myself how they DO NOT deserve the quality of gear they play with
aaw, is someone jealous?
i'd say jimmy page would be a more reknown user of an LP. but the SG has Angus young who is also very reknown. it probably comes down to the LP being a 'flagship', more wood, and keeping the price up keeps the prestige up.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
LPs cost around 1/3 more than an SG to make. There's also the issue of supply and demand.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by ch0
aaw, is someone jealous?

I am. I don't know about you guys but I feel wronged, this kid played a couple power chords and was rewarded with Gibsons, more or less because he could sell. I'm reasonably attractive, where's my Gibson?

Les Pauls are popular. They're the most recognised guitar shape next to possibly a Strat, and a lot of popular artists use them, which means they're the first choice for posers, which are becoming more and more prevalent with the success of Guitar Hero. There are a butt ton of reasons the Les Paul is more expensive, let alone the fact that they're comfortable and they sound good.

But they have horrible fret access.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
I am. I don't know about you guys but I feel wronged, this kid played a couple power chords and was rewarded with Gibsons, more or less because he could sell. I'm reasonably attractive, where's my Gibson?

LMAO

Seriously though, I've detested Les Pauls from the day I walked into a store to get my first guitar. I still can't stand them. They're bulky, heavy, uncomfortable, unplayable, and generic sounding. Plus, they have an ugly shape to boot -_-
I'd take an SG over them anyday. I like the bite it has, the better comfort (though Gibsons in general feel uncomfortable to me). And it looks great.

When people think SG, they usually think of Angus Young... Aren't we forgetting Tommi Iommi?
Quote by toyboxmonster
When people think SG, they usually think of Angus Young... Aren't we forgetting Tommi Iommi?
The average person on the street hasn't heard Tony Iommi's name and even if you showed them a picture, wouldn't know who he is.
On the other hand they probably would know who Angus Young was, even if they didn't recognise his name they would recognise a picture of him.

Black Sabbath is a group name known to popular music and the masses, but it's music is not known to them and the names of it's members even less so (Ozzy aside).
Ac/DC is known to popular music, it's music is recognised by the masses, and though the masses won't know their actual names, Angus Young is certainly recognisable enough.

And that is why Tony Iommi is forgotten.

Quote by Pretty. Odd.

Only if you have freaky tiny girl hands.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.

Les Pauls are popular. They're the most recognised guitar shape next to possibly a Strat, and a lot of popular artists use them, which means they're the first choice for posers, which are becoming more and more prevalent with the success of Guitar Hero. There are a butt ton of reasons the Les Paul is more expensive, let alone the fact that they're comfortable and they sound good.

It's all about personal opinion.
I love the feel of the SG's body.I find the back of the les paul digs into my body.I don't mind the weight,however a bevelled edge on the back of the top curve (I don't know what it's called) would make a big difference.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by MrFlibble
The average person on the street hasn't heard Tony Iommi's name and even if you showed them a picture, wouldn't know who he is.
On the other hand they probably would know who Angus Young was, even if they didn't recognise his name they would recognise a picture of him.

Black Sabbath is a group name known to popular music and the masses, but it's music is not known to them and the names of it's members even less so (Ozzy aside).
Ac/DC is known to popular music, it's music is recognised by the masses, and though the masses won't know their actual names, Angus Young is certainly recognisable enough.

*broken heart*
Quote by MrFlibble

Only if you have freaky tiny girl hands.

Aren't we be forgetting Frank Zappa here?
Quote by Hendrix_fan_14

Not one person in my guitar class in high school knows who Zappa is.
Or Robert Fripp for that matter.

Then again they don't know much of anything at all when i think of it.

EDIT: Im not saying Fripp plays SGs just that just because a person has talent doesn't spread their name around.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by Hendrix_fan_14
Same case.

Most people don't even know Clapton ever played an SG.

This is the average public 'knowledge' of guitar:
- Slash is a guy with big hair and a top hat.
- Jimmy Page is a guy who played guitar at some point in time.
- There's a guy in a rock band who dresses like a retro school boy.
- Heavy metal guitarists tend to have long hair.
- Eric Clapton is pretty good.
- Jimi Hendrix was pretty good.
- Brian May was in Queen.
- Jon Bon Jovi has that song where it sounds like a guitar talking.
- There's a song called Smoke On The Water which goes dun-dun-DUN. That's it, that's the whole song.
- Some heavy metal guitars are shaped like an arrow.
- There's that effect which sounds like "wah wah woh wah".
- There is nothing more to guitar playing than 'chords'. Everything is just 'chords'.
- Every electric guitar sounds the same.

It's sad, but that's how it is. Don't think for a second that the general masses know any more than that.
Quote by MrFlibble
Same case.

- There's a song called Smoke On The Water which goes dun-dun-DUN. That's it, that's the whole song.
- There is nothing more to guitar playing than 'chords'. Everything is just 'chords'.

It's sad, but that's how it is. Don't think for a second that the general masses know any more than that.

+2

You're only forgetting one:

- There's a guitar solo in Hotel California (and then they mean the outro, not the solo)

arghhh
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by R.I.P.Jimi
i'd say jimmy page would be a more reknown user of an LP. but the SG has Angus young who is also very reknown. it probably comes down to the LP being a 'flagship', more wood, and keeping the price up keeps the prestige up.

I would say that Page is linked to his double neck SG more than he is to his LP's.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by Pretty. Odd.

Ya know...I was gonna say something here....

But you love the Toro. So I'm just gonna let it be.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

because in gibson's eyes they are 2 differnent guitars and they arent the same and no one should be comparing them. BUT THEY ARE AND THAT IS WRONG. Just because there both slabs of mahogany with two humbuckers with gibson written on it.
The SG is much easier to make and has less wood involved in its build. LPs have carved tops much more labor than a flat topped body. There is also the binding done on LPs and never seen on SGs. SGs are usually a solid body of 1 wood, LPs usually have a maple top. A book matched flame maple top is usually close to 70$-120$ if I buy it, but a plank of mahogany that can make several bodies is 40$. Its not popularity its just economics.
There are different guitars, that are made in different ways.

The Les Paul has a thicker body. The SG has a thinner body. If you look at the Jonas bros (most metal band ever) pic on page 1, you can see the difference in their guitar's thickness.
Thicker bodies obviously require more wood, therefore making them more expensive. In case you don't know, thickness of the body affects the tone big time.

Along with the more wood thing, the older Les Paul necks tend to be larger while SG's have faster slim-taper necks. Therefore, more wood=more money.

The thing that probably has the least impact on the difference is the users. It's true many famous users use the Les Paul, but same with the SG.

Bluesman only use the Les Paul? Blasphemy! Unless you're about to tell me that Hendrix didn't play his blues stuff on a Gibson or that Duane Allman and Eric Clapton weren't bluesman, you're wrong!

Les Paul's are not for shredding. That's also very false. Some people may not like him, but Buckethead sure disproves your arguments. He shreds on a Les Paul WELL! He may qualify as being a 'shredder', but Ace Frehley clearly did hard rock wonders with his Les Paul. Oh yes, and who can forget Randy Rhoad and his Les Paul Custom? And Kirk Hammett, (thought maybe not now) did use a Les Paul in his career.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Not one person in my guitar class in high school knows who Zappa is.
Or Robert Fripp for that matter.

Then again they don't know much of anything at all when i think of it.

EDIT: Im not saying Fripp plays SGs just that just because a person has talent doesn't spread their name around.
That's disappointing.

Quote by MrFlibble
Same case.

So true.

Edit: I don't really think they know who Brian May is.
Last edited by werty22 at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble
Same case.

Clapton used this guitar in Cream
Page 1 of 2