Is there a way to turn brine/salt water into just salt? If so, what is the name of this process? Any help would be greatly appreciated

I am the King of Carrot Flowers

Pour the water into a different cup. Ta-da. One cup is full of salt, the other is full of water.
Sail upon the open skies
evaporation works, but I think electrolysis also works. that's when you run a current through a substance to cause evaporation. I think...
It's Ok, I'm a Doctor
T-T
(In Obviousness)

Quote by Irishstang_87
Good god, you're a Twilight fan. What are you doing in a scientific discussion?

Quote by Thewickerman666
I just watched a turtle rape a shoe, and must admit I slightly enjoyed it.

I feel dirty
It's called desalination
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Shit, this is pure win. You can have my interwebz, I was saving them for a rainy day.

^about my halloween costume
Quote by steee21
a sport

Quote by hriday_hazarika
Oh, so it's sorta like real-life gaming, then?
Quote by Samdunhamss
evaporation works, but I think electrolysis also works. that's when you run a current through a substance to cause evaporation. I think...

This works, but gives off hydrogen and oxygen. Depending on where you do it at, that oculd be dangerous.
put the salt water in a pot with no lid
then get it boiling/steaming and come back in an hour or so
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by Samdunhamss

I thought electrolysis separates hydrogen and oxygen? I guess you would be left with salt then too.
It is statements like this that make me quite surprised that our mongoloid cavemen ancestors were capable of anything at all...you know being the 21st century and seeing such sheer stupidity.

Evaporation motherfucker. Learn about it.
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
This works, but gives off hydrogen and oxygen. Depending on where you do it at, that oculd be dangerous.

So mix the hydrogen and oxygen in a big bowl and voila! Water.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Jacoiskoby

hydrogen + spark = Boom
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
I think it's called distilation
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
^^^distillation (simple/fractional) is for the separation of liquids. not a solid from a liquid. like said many times evaporation is the answer.

Quote by Jacoiskoby

lulz.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Mar 8, 2009,
You could use filter paper, it has tiny holes in it so the water soaks through leaving the salt there.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Drown a squirrel in it.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
Quote by Erik_AERO
I thought electrolysis separates hydrogen and oxygen? I guess you would be left with salt then too.

That was my reasoning. I don't know, maybe it'll be different with brine. I was never a very good chemistry student.
It's Ok, I'm a Doctor
T-T
(In Obviousness)

Quote by Irishstang_87
Good god, you're a Twilight fan. What are you doing in a scientific discussion?

Quote by Thewickerman666
I just watched a turtle rape a shoe, and must admit I slightly enjoyed it.

I feel dirty
Oversaturation.

Just pour more salt in. Eventually, the amount of salt the water can hold will be exceeded and all of the salt will kind of fall to the bottom with the water sitting on top. Then pour off the water.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Garou1911
Oversaturation.

Just pour more salt in. Eventually, the amount of salt the water can hold will be exceeded and all of the salt will kind of fall to the bottom with the water sitting on top. Then pour off the water.

this, but no. actually, not really at all.
Quote by angusfan16
Pour the water into a different cup. Ta-da. One cup is full of salt, the other is full of water.

this
Quote by SleightOfHand
****in right budday! grunge is the shiite!

didnt read ur post tho so dont know what im agreeing to.

Quote by horloko
Good. More centaur pussy for me.

Quote by myearshurt

God bless you GrungeBeatle

Quote by Skierinanutshel
this, but no. actually, not really at all.

Erm, yeah. It's like 5th grade science class stuff. The teacher did a demonstration, it was pretty neat.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by ShredGod George
hydrogen + spark = Boom

And then use the water to extinguish the flames.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

- Mitch Hedberg
freeze the salt water then crack the ice and get all the salt out.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by ShredGod George
hydrogen + spark = Boom

Lies... You mean *pop*. Although, I'd imagine depending on quantities involved, the *pop* may well develop into a *bang*
Evaporation.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Do you know what salt flats are? Lakes (once full of salt water) that have water evaporated off until just salt is left.
Quote by Jaymz_515

- Mitch Hedberg
It's a bit tricky to do, but by far the best method would be the Swern Oxidation. Just add some DMSO, oxalyl chloride and some triethylamine. Just add them together with some mixing and heat et viola: Salt.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
Quote by darthteet
It's a bit tricky to do, but by far the best method would be the Swern Oxidation. Just add some DMSO, oxalyl chloride and some triethylamine. Just add them together with some mixing and heat et viola: Salt.

um....what? the swern mechanism is for primary/secondary alcohols, and you dont get NaCl as a byproduct, if anything NaHCl would be created.

also, do you know how bad dimethyl sulfide smells? like seriously, let the boy stick to evaporation.
desalinisation
Evapouration
Electrolysis

EDIT:

Quote by Garou1911
Erm, yeah. It's like 5th grade science class stuff. The teacher did a demonstration, it was pretty neat.

FAIL
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

Last edited by slogankid1 at Mar 9, 2009,
evaporation is your friend here.

the salt cannot be filtered out, it is in the water solution and the molecules are too small and so will not be stopped by the filter.

common sense: get some
Hi I'm
Mr. JimBo R. Insane
:/ it's... Desalination, desalinization, or desalinisation refers to any of several processes that remove excess salt and other minerals from water. More generally, desalination may also refer to the removal of salts and minerals,[1] as in soil desalination.[2][3]

I donno why everyone is just saying evaporation.
Quote by Mattron2000
Shadowenspirit,
Developmental Tamer.
Shadowenspirit,
Ancient Sandwich Crafter

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.

-Voltaire

So it is written.