I'm looking for a distortion pedal. The most I can spend right now is about $70, maybe $80 dollars. The heaviest I want to get with it is probably some good thrash tones, like old school Metallica. My guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Special II (crappy, I know) and a Roland Cube 60 Chorus amp.
Quote by Dæmönika
I'm afraid of you...MDoggDX316phobia

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: The Hype Man of the UG Hip
Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
Some people don't like it here on UG...but the metal muff will pull these off with no problem
Quick response! I've heard good things about the metal muff.
Quote by Dæmönika

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

I'm a fan of homemade fuzz boxes. I suggest you check them out on google. You can make one that sounds awesome for well under 80 dollars.
i haven't heard people trash the metal muff on here

oh well, it's a great pedal

FYI: DON'T buy a metal core, metal zone, digitech heavy metal, they're all terrible
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
The BBE Crusher is wicked, also Digitech Grunge and Death Metal, the death metal have very high gain and it isn't adjustable, Grunge and Crusher allow you to add the amount of gain. Boss Metal Zone is another goodie, the Metal Core is good too. Dan Donegans sig distiortion pedal is nasty.
Quote by neverspoiled
Dont say your guitar sucks just bc others do..if you like it, well, than it doesnt suck to you

It's more of a flame shield than anything else...I've actually gotten flamed for saying what kind of guitar I have. A traumatic experience as you could probably imagine.
Quote by Dæmönika

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Quote by wickedlefty
get a noise suppressor as well, all the unwanted noise from distortion pedal is horrible

Agreed. I use the ISP Decimator and MXR 10-band EQ with the metal muff...sounds great imo
Go to a music store and try out all the distortion pedals that are in your price range. You can't take people's word for what pedals are good. Its all personal preference. I love the Metal Zone but others hate it. Go for what you like
I've listened to sample clips of the Metal Muff and I'm absolutely in love. It's going pretty cheap on ebay right now (about 60 bucks with shipping). I'll still go to GC to try some out though.
Quote by Dæmönika

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Quote by MDoggDX316
I've listened to sample clips of the Metal Muff and I'm absolutely in love. It's going pretty cheap on ebay right now (about 60 bucks with shipping). I'll still go to GC to try some out though.

Trying them out is your best option.
Rat... It's about $10 above your range but worth it.

Cheaper and also good is the Double Muff. It's not like a Muff. Very bright and open. You can dial from practically clean to a nice crunch. The drawback of the Double Muff is the lack of a separate level control.
So I went to GC last week and tried out a bunch of pedals before buying one. Ended up doing a total impulse buy and getting the Jekyll and Hyde pedal. It was way out of my price range, but well worth it. I'm totally in love with it and very happy with my purchase.
Quote by Dæmönika

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

Awesome, thanks for the follow-up it is good to see how people resolve their questions. Glad to see you got something you love, that is the most important thing!
Thanks. I'm so excited about it.
Quote by Dæmönika

Quote by Imperial
Yes, Master MDoggDX316

dont flame me for this one, but if your into some highgain/alternative stuff i would buy a line 6 uber metal. I love it and it gives me a variety of sounds. An awesome feature is the noise gate, it takes all unwanted noise. P.S. DONT i repeat DONT listen to the sound clips on the line 6 website! They sound terrible compared to the real thing