Hey guys, im having trouble with figuring out what scale is the lead guitar playing in the song Orion by Metallica. i think the root note is E but im not sure.
the ontes on the scale are E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D (i may be wrong though im not sure =/). Please help me lol ive been trying to figure this out for so long. thanks in advance
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
from the notes you gave its in A major.
(E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D)

EDIT: if you have any more questions, you can message me, i love music theory =]

and id be glad to help out
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Last edited by musicTHEORYnerd at Mar 8, 2009,
If those are the notes and it's based in E then your scale is E Mixolydian. I don't know anything about metallica so I can't say if this is common in thier music, so hopefully someone else will.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
musictheorynerd is right

its A major because of the 3 sharps in the A major key.

study your circle of fifths!!
Member #40 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join.
Last edited by nivlarama at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by The_Sophist
If those are the notes and it's based in E then your scale is E Mixolydian. I don't know anything about metallica so I can't say if this is common in thier music, so hopefully someone else will.

technically if its the A major scale, but its based on E, you are correct, its E mixolydian.

but if hes asking us which major scale it is, i doubt hes ready to learn about modes.
no offense to the TS =]
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
thanks guys =) i really dont know much music theory at all but when i looked it up it seemed like it was E Mixolydian, but ive never heard of that lol. does anyone know a website that can help lear music theory?
2/17/08 Kosova's independence!!!
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
technically if its the A major scale, but its based on E, you are correct, its E mixolydian.

but if hes asking us which major scale it is, i doubt hes ready to learn about modes.
no offense to the TS =]

Ya, but telling him the relative major wasn't answering his question, it was giving him information you thought he was ready for, but not asking for.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by The_Sophist
Ya, but telling him the relative major wasn't answering his question, it was giving him information you thought he was ready for, but not asking for.

i hate to admit it, but i see your point.

the TS has the information he wanted, so im happy.

my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
That is the one thing that bothers me about UG, other than the pit. People put thier opinions on what others should learn, instead of simply giving them the information they asked for.

Having said that, this is just my opinion, and should be ignored as you see fit.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz