Do you ever get to that stage in guitar, when you've learnt everything new you can at your level, and you've run out of inspiration?? Like, you play guitar randomly, trying to make up riffs but you just can't get anything? You find yourself playing the same progression or playing the same pattern? How do you get past this? I've been trying too for ages now, learning lessons and stuff, but i can't come up with anything that sounds good, that isn't written by some1 else.

.........fffaarrrr outttt..........

Listen to different types of music. I play bass and sometimes I listen to mexican oriented music and I might end up with a pretty neat octave riff or something like that

or you just suck
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Yeah, but when that happens, i usually switch over to a different genre.
Sail upon the open skies
Listen to different genres of music. The more influences you have behind your playing the more **** you can come up with
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Learn more. Practice more. Push yourself through it. If you're feeling stagnant, learn a new scale, a new bit of theory, find a song you can't do and challenge yourself.

How long have you been playing? This smacks of the 1 1/2 - 2 year plateau
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
This happened to me. At first I only played Rage Agaisnt the machine and eventually lost interest because they just had simple riffs and such, so i switched to more complex music, like in flames and the such.
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
Your avatar has one of the worst albums of all time depicted.

This would be your problem. Inspiration is key to creativity and St . Anger is without a doubt one of the most talentless albums ever written.

Find some new influences is your first step...or hell, just listen to Metallica when they were good- anything from Kill em All to the Black Album should suffice.
Quote by coryklok
Smoke some weed.
sounds good XD

nah, i've been playing for around 2 and a bit years, but i've got some reasonable sorta stuff down like Seek and destroy and alot of metal. I like blues, but i can't play it, i can never find the right notes to make it sound bluesy. i ends up sounding like a slipknot song being playd over the top of michael jackson. or something.
Quote by Clancy 13
sounds good XD

nah, i've been playing for around 2 and a bit years, but i've got some reasonable sorta stuff down like Seek and destroy and alot of metal. I like blues, but i can't play it, i can never find the right notes to make it sound bluesy. i ends up sounding like a slipknot song being playd over the top of michael jackson. or something.

Blues is 1 part notes to 2 parts feeling. Step one is learn your major and minor pentatonics and the positions of the blues scale. Next step is to play it with emotion. Can't tell you how to do that bud, sorry.

As for metal, challenge yourself more. Learn the harmonic minor and some modes like the phrygian and the lydian/mixolydian. Just keep playing and playing and eventually you'll push through it. Happens to everyone from time to time, the best way to get past plateaus is through new knowledge, rather then just rehashing what you already know.

When you stop learning you stop progressing.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Garou1911
Blues is 1 part notes to 2 parts feeling. Step one is learn your major and minor pentatonics and the positions of the blues scale. Next step is to play it with emotion. Can't tell you how to do that bud, sorry.

As for metal, challenge yourself more. Learn the harmonic minor and some modes like the phrygian and the lydian/mixolydian. Just keep playing and playing and eventually you'll push through it. Happens to everyone from time to time, the best way to get past plateaus is through new knowledge, rather then just rehashing what you already know.

When you stop learning you stop progressing.
i've been practisingly practically constantly lately, and i've notriced my left hand is getting really fast. So i've been looking up solos, and playing it, but it doesn't mean much to me. Eg, i play the scales, stick that bit on there, do the little bend, but it doesn't do much. I've also found that alot of the tabs i look up i can play, but its really not as much fun without the rest of the instruments. i've been trying different tunings lately to find one that suits my playing, but i can't really use one. i use stamdard for all the ac/dc sorta stuff, but when i play things like arch enemy i'm finding that the standard isn't really working. i'm usuing d standard : dgcfad. right now, but i rarely use lower tuning for very long.
Try finding a band then. Maybe you need/are ready for interaction with other musicians.
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
see man you can't force stuff like "making riffs" to happen because the end result will be some crappy mediocre riff. you have to just loosen your self up and play guitar. i don't know how to describe it but you have to be one with your guitar (sounds corny), but i usually come up with my songs when im not thinking about it and just playing. you get what i'm saying? so just sit back and chill

or just smoke weed
Yeah, been stuck there for a while. I try to learn harder stuff, but I can't get it, and I can't write anything good. I've seriously been thinking about selling my guitar, but I'm still hoping that maybe I'll get creative somehow. Music just isn't fun anymore.
Quote by Clancy 13
i also figured i might look at getting some lessons - i'm currently all self taught.

yer lessons help alot, when your self taught your learning how to play things that sound good, but a teacher can give you some direction and finetune your tecnique(sp?)
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Seriously, use the searchbar, this has been done MILLIONS of times, it'sbloody annoying.
When this happened to me I quit for like a year and a half. Just don't do that.
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE