I've just installed a Seymour Duncan Invader in the bridge position of my OLP MM1 and wanted to know what you all may think would suit me for the Neck pickup. I'm looking for something crystal clear, super clean for the neck.

How does the Invader neck sound? Was also thinking about Pearly Gates or SD Jazz for the neck...

What do you think?
•1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom, PRS Mark Holcomb Ltd Run, 2004 Les Paul Classic, Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Stndrd

•Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
•PRS Archon
•Kemper Amp Profiler
all the pickups you listed are too hot for the neck outside of the jazz.
the pearly gates is very sparkly sounding, its not as clean as it seems it would be, the jazz would probaly be your best bet
I really dislike the Jazz in the neck position, it sounds wayyyy too smooth to me and makes everything sound bluesy, judging by your choice of bridge pickup, you don't want this

I say go for a DiMarzio PAF Pro.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ Im not a fan of Dimarzio Pickups....they sound too "electronic".
I prefer Duncans....
•1976 Gibson Les Paul Custom, PRS Mark Holcomb Ltd Run, 2004 Les Paul Classic, Joe Bonamassa Les Paul Stndrd

•PRS Archon
•Kemper Amp Profiler
Quote by LTD-live
^ Im not a fan of Dimarzio Pickups....they sound too "electronic".
I prefer Duncans....

What DiMarzios are you using???
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Go for the Jazz in the neck. It's probably the best choice when you have a hot humbucker in the bridge.
Quote by MatrixClaw
What DiMarzios are you using???

I don't use them
Although they endorse some of the best players to ever touch a guitar, i've never liked tone of the Ibanez/DiMarzio players (i.e. Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, etc....)

In my opinion, Dimebag and Zack Wylde, Slash, Billy Corgan, are all players that really have great tone. They can all get a real MEAN sound but also get those clean, bell like tones.

•PRS Archon
•Kemper Amp Profiler
Quote by LTD-live
I don't use them
Although they endorse some of the best players to ever touch a guitar, i've never liked tone of the Ibanez/DiMarzio players (i.e. Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, etc....)

In my opinion, Dimebag and Zack Wylde, Slash, Billy Corgan, are all players that really have great tone. They can all get a real MEAN sound but also get those clean, bell like tones.

i can understand ( i guess) enjoying billy corgans and deadbag darrels tones, but not actually thinking they are a benchmark for good tone. *yuck*
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
i can understand ( i guess) enjoying billy corgans and deadbag darrels tones, but not actually thinking they are a benchmark for good tone. *yuck*

This is one of those dicusions that cold go on until the end of time!!!
To each his own! As long as you like it, it's good!

•PRS Archon
•Kemper Amp Profiler
Quote by chea_man

deadbag?

careful, you'll get killed by the rampaging pantera fans

but you are right, those tones are pretty disgusting.

btw, never heard anything bad about Dimarzio as a whole, I think you should try some out and such and not just assume that their bad.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
yes, that is true.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by acdclandon
deadbag?

careful, you'll get killed by the rampaging pantera fans

but you are right, those tones are pretty disgusting.

btw, never heard anything bad about Dimarzio as a whole, I think you should try some out and such and not just assume that their bad.

hahaha, talk about a Freudian slip. i didnt even realize i typed that lol.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
hahaha, talk about a Freudian slip. i didnt even realize i typed that lol.

close one haha
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by LTD-live
I don't use them

I wasn't necessarily asking which you use, but which you'd used and thought sounded bad.

If you're going just off clips of famous guitarist then your statements are completely irrelevant.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I wasn't necessarily asking which you use, but which you'd used and thought sounded bad.

If you're going just off clips of famous guitarist then your statements are completely irrelevant.

I never said any Dimarzios sounded bad. I said "they sound too electronic".
I love Steve Vai, but I hate his tone.
I love Paul Gilbert, but I hate his tone.
Those 2 guitarist (to me) are the epitome of the DiMarzio sound...

I'm not discrediting your thoughts or opinions...

I've been playing guitar for 16 years. In that time I've played lots of gear.

Why so defensive? I like what I like.... you like what you like...so what!?!?!

•PRS Archon
•Kemper Amp Profiler
Quote by LTD-live
I never said any Dimarzios sounded bad. I said "they sound too electronic".
I love Steve Vai, but I hate his tone.
I love Paul Gilbert, but I hate his tone.
Those 2 guitarist (to me) are the epitome of the DiMarzio sound...

I'm not discrediting your thoughts or opinions...

I've been playing guitar for 16 years. In that time I've played lots of gear.

Why so defensive? I like what I like.... you like what you like...so what!?!?!

I'm not being defensive, you keep saying you don't like their tone based off of famous guitarist's tone, if either one of those two used Duncans I seriously doubt you'd be able to tell the difference. What you don't like is their amps and the way they're mixed in the studio.

And Dimenag didn't use Duncans, he used Bill Lawrence pickups. The Dimebucker is a horrible interpretation of what he really used.

and just to be clear, I no longer have any guitars with DiMarzios but have 3 with Duncans
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'm not being defensive, you keep saying you don't like their tone based off of famous guitarist's tone, if either one of those two used Duncans I seriously doubt you'd be able to tell the difference. What you don't like is their amps and the way they're mixed in the studio.

And Dimenag didn't use Duncans, he used Bill Lawrence pickups. The Dimebucker is a horrible interpretation of what he really used.

and just to be clear, I no longer have any guitars with DiMarzios but have 3 with Duncans

OK! SO you're just ranting for no reason. I dont like the Dimebucker either....
Let's try to stay on the pickup suggestion topic please!!!!

•PRS Archon
•Kemper Amp Profiler
Last edited by LTD-live at Mar 9, 2009,