I am planning on buying a 75 watt Peavey Vypyr amp soon but the speaker is pretty crappy. So i was thinking about swapping it out for a not so crappy speaker. I'm really tight on cash so i was hoping to get something under 80$.

I mostly play thrash metal / shred with active pickups and gain all the way up. My EQ is usually:
low - 4-6
mid - 3-5
hi - 10

So what would be a good 12 inch speaker capable of handling 75 watts.
(oh and the amp has the "trans tube technology" idk if that makes a difference since it's not real tubes)

P.S. sorry if there is already a thread for speakers. i couldn't find one.
dont upgrade it...save that money to buy a tube amp when the time comes....you havent even tried the vypyr and you re talking about upgrading it already...why did you buy it:S?
+1 to my friend above.

If you want a new speaker, look at Celestion Seventy80s, they are really good budgetspeaker, but IDK if they would work in your Amps since they are the smaller brother of the G12T-75 and have a midscope.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
I HAVE tried it and it sounds great but the stock speaker is not what i wish it would be. it can perform a hell of a lot better with a better speaker. and it's just a practice amp. I won't settle for any serious gigging tube amp until i have enough for a Carvin V3 but that will take me a long time to save up for. I probably will have this amp for almost 2 years. I have to make the best of it so i want to get a better speaker. can you help me pick one out or not?
its your money dude...you ll regret it in max 1 year but ok.

celestion g12t-75 i say. althought solid state poweramps cant push a speaker for ****...i guess you can still try as an experiment.
Quote by georgakis187
dont upgrade it...save that money to buy a tube amp when the time comes....you havent even tried the vypyr and you re talking about upgrading it already...why did you buy it:S?

Why criticize him for buying a Vypyr and upgrading it? There are a lot of people who buy Valvekings only to put a few hundred more into it with upgrades.

Vypyr = Higher end SS that actually sounds very good.

Valveking = Budget tube amp that sounds muddy and lifeless, even after the upgrades.

TS: What is your budget?
You should definitely look into Celestion Vintage 30s or G12T-75s or possibly an Eminence The Governor or Texas Heat.

If you are on a budget then Warehouse Speakers would be worth checking out - they make some pretty good clones of popular speakers.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Why criticize him for buying a Vypyr and upgrading it? There are a lot of people who buy Valvekings only to put a few hundred more into it with upgrades.

Vypyr = Higher end SS that actually sounds very good.

Valveking = Budget tube amp that sounds muddy and lifeless, even after the upgrades.

TS: What is your budget?
You should definitely look into Celestion Vintage 30s or G12T-75s or possibly an Eminence The Governor or Texas Heat.

If you are on a budget then Warehouse Speakers would be worth checking out - they make some pretty good clones of popular speakers.

I think an upgraded valveking would sound much better than an upgraded vypyr. As for the speaker, i'd say just wait and put the 80 toward a future tube amp.
well i barely had 300 dollars. But i bought like 8 BBE Treble Boost pedals when they were the "stupid deal of the day" down to 30 dollars from 100. and i plan to resell them for a bit higher than 30 to make a bit of a profit.
Quote by JoePerry4life
I think an upgraded valveking would sound much better than an upgraded vypyr. As for the speaker, i'd say just wait and put the 80 toward a future tube amp.

Opinions are opinions and everyone has their own. To my ears a stock Vypyr sounds better than a modded Valveking, but thats just me.

Quote by ShestShestShest
well i barely had 300 dollars. But i bought like 8 BBE Treble Boost pedals when they were the "stupid deal of the day" down to 30 dollars from 100. and i plan to resell them for a bit higher than 30 to make a bit of a profit.

Well that still doesnt tell us how much you are willing to shell out for speakers lol. But still - check out the ones that have been mentioned.
Quote by ShestShestShest
like i said i would like to spend at MOST 80 dollars for the speakers

Ahhh sorry - I overlooked that.

Well the Celestions are out of the picture then.

If you could bump up to $90 then you could get a Eminence The Governor which is pretty much their version of the Celestion Vintage 30.

An Eminence Texas Heat would only cost $70 - its voiced more for a hard rock type tone but it will sound better than the stock Peavey speaker.

Or you could look into Warehouse Speakers. A Veteran 30 (Vintage 30 clone) will run you $65.
yeah i love V30's so the veteran 30's would be ideal but they are only 60 watts. would they be able to handle the amp?
Quote by ShestShestShest
yeah i love V30's so the veteran 30's would be ideal but they are only 60 watts. would they be able to handle the amp?

As long as you aren't cranking the amp then the speaker should be able to handle it. However if you plan on turning the volume up to like 70% or greater then you will need a speaker with a higher wattage rating.
If you want a Vintage 30-esque tone from a speaker with more handling power then you'll have to go with an Eminence The Governor. Its $90 so it is a little over your budget, but I'm sure you will be able to manage?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Get the tube vypyr instead of a speaker. But even if you don't.. the speaker in the vypyr is fine. There are a few people here who have replaced them with "better" speakers and went back to the stock speakers. Peavey did some research on these speakers and what would be best. On the higher up vypyrs the speakers are great. You are already assuming the speaker sucks and you don't even have the amp. The speaker is really good. The speaker in the lower grade ones are not as well.