So, I've been in need of a new amp [obviously].

I play a lot stuff, but it's usually something in the realm of Black Metal, Progressive Metal, Melodic Death, or Jazz. Influences specifically, would be Artefact, Keep of Kalessin, Death, Emperor, Wintersun, Opeth, In Mourning, and a bunch of others.

So far these are my options:
Engl Fireball
http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/1024761277.html

Bogner Alchemist
http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/1057900904.html

Mesa Express
http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/1058052935.html

And then for a cab [if I go with either the Fireball or Alchemist] I'm thinking an Avatar G212H Custom, as it fits my budget.

I'm open to suggestions on cabs, amps, whatever, though.

EDIT: The Fireball is the highest I'll go for the head. $1100 is stretching a bit too.
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Mar 9, 2009,
Out of those I'd take the Engl.

But, and now I'm just throwing thoughts in here, if I were you, I'd try to find a Framus Dragon (or even Cobra) with the matching cab. But then, I don't know how much they are at yours.

Btw, the Framus FR212 is atleast as good as the Avatar (IMHO), if you can find one it could be worth a look.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Another option would be used XXX, JSX or 3120 head.

You need to list a budget in your thread tho bro.

Mesa Mark series might work too. I see MatrixClaw is on so let's get his opinion.

Gigging capable right?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 9, 2009,
The only one of those 3 amps I'd even consider for Metal is the ENGL.

The Alchemist isn't quite for metal, though some people like it, but since you're playing some pretty heavy stuff, I really doubt it.

The Express doesn't even have half the gain you'd need from it and is the worst Mesa amp I've ever played

So in short, the Fireball rapes the other two.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
the express series cant really do metal that well.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
^That would work I suppose but I'd keep looking. Check your local shops and such too. I would think for metal you want a closed back cab. That one there looks 'boomy'. If you can't find anything else, that would work though.
I know you are probably getting tired of hearing from me

There were some nice Marshall cabs on there but they were $500. I also saw a bunch of stuff that might seem tempting but don't do it without asking here first.

What about this?

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/1062878080.html

posting only because it's interesting
http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/1047663844.html
Quote by Burning_Angel
Also, regardless of what head I get, would this be a good cab choice?
http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/1045415006.html

That cab will work, but I don't think you'll like it. Open-back for metal is going to make your tone loose and muddy.

The Marshall 311 linked I wouldn't go for, it's an MG 2x12 cab, it sounds decent (I tried one with my Splawn Nitro), but for the price you could get much better. The second link is a pretty sweet deal, but that's up to you.

Not to push anything on you, but I have a 2x12 cab for sale (link in my sig) that should match up nicely with the Fireball.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
+1

Thanks for keeping me strait Derek

Burning Angel - MatrixClaw (Derek) is well regarded around here and has an excellent Sell/Trade reputation. Might be worth looking into.

I also saw a Peavey XXX with a 5150 cab for $700. Not trying to talk you out of anything. Just sayin'. Speakers in the 5150 cab aren't the greatest (Sheffields) but they are not crap either.
Quote by MatrixClaw
That cab will work, but I don't think you'll like it. Open-back for metal is going to make your tone loose and muddy.

The Marshall 311 linked I wouldn't go for, it's an MG 2x12 cab, it sounds decent (I tried one with my Splawn Nitro), but for the price you could get much better. The second link is a pretty sweet deal, but that's up to you.

Not to push anything on you, but I have a 2x12 cab for sale (link in my sig) that should match up nicely with the Fireball.

Hmm, would the Mesa Studio Caliber be able to handle the type of stuff I will be playing? I'm interested, cause its $800 for cab & head, which is awesome.
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Mar 9, 2009,
my friend has a mesa studio caliber, i dont think its a very good amp at all, esp. for a mesa. one of my least favorite mesas for sure. i dont think it can do the stuff you want it to all that well. if you can try it, do it, you may like it. you never know.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
lol I was looking at that fireball for a while on craigslist. Its been on there for months now. Go and check it out. I bet you could talk him down alittle as it has been on there a long time now.

EDIT: Also there is a trem-o-verb 2x12 for $950 and a Mark III head for 750 but you need a cab.
Last edited by Muramasa at Mar 9, 2009,
out of the 3 the engl fire ball. also if you are looking at a bogner look at the uberschall.
i'd say go for the engl or the mesa. both great amps. all three of them, however, are great.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
Quote by Muramasa
lol I was looking at that fireball for a while on craigslist. Its been on there for months now. Go and check it out. I bet you could talk him down alittle as it has been on there a long time now.

EDIT: Also there is a trem-o-verb 2x12 for $950 and a Mark III head for 750 but you need a cab.

Yeah, I was hoping if I did talk to him about the Fireball I could talk him down. Looks like its been up since the beginning of February...
Quote by Burning_Angel
Yeah, I was hoping if I did talk to him about the Fireball I could talk him down. Looks like its been up since the beginning of February...

He keeps relisting it, It's been up since november. Thats when I started looking for my mesa and I thought I'd see if there were any engl's or diezel's out there. I saw that ENGL when I first started looking but I wanted atleast 100w and the Fireball is 60w. Hopefully, he will lower his price for you.
Last edited by Muramasa at Mar 9, 2009,
Yeah I wouldn't get any of those. I'd get the Framus Cobra or the ENGL powerball. Although I'd say the powerball isn't worth the money. I hate to be cliche but honestly the 6505 is much cheaper and has the same style the engl does but sounds so much more brutal with more balls. But if you feel like you must buy an expensive amp get the framus cobra. The most brutal amp I've heard. The mesa express is nice too but you might not be satisfied.

I'd maybe look into some cheaper amps that are just as good like the 6505 and still have enough money left to buy a guitar. Although it looks like you are buying used.
Quote by hcsn2008
Yeah I wouldn't get any of those. I'd get the Framus Cobra or the ENGL powerball. Although I'd say the powerball isn't worth the money. I hate to be cliche but honestly the 6505 is much cheaper and has the same style the engl does but sounds so much more brutal with more balls. But if you feel like you must buy an expensive amp get the framus cobra. The most brutal amp I've heard. The mesa express is nice too but you might not be satisfied.

I'd maybe look into some cheaper amps that are just as good like the 6505 and still have enough money left to buy a guitar. Although it looks like you are buying used.

I went over that. I cant afford a Framus, regardless of if it's used or not. And I really dont like the tone of a 6505/5150.
From what I've heard, I'll probably end up going with either that or the Fireball [as long as the guy reposts it ].

From what I've seen on youtube the Fireball is still my favorite though.