I was thinking about buying these:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/vistsewocrbl.html

Would these even be an upgrade from the MIM stock pups? Only 20 bucks, I'm gonna put them in myself, will it be an upgrade? I play a crate v18 for an amp.

EDIT: Ok, sorry didn't realize they were just regular no name pups, how about these then:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/sttalstpiset.html
Last edited by JoePerry4life at Mar 9, 2009,
those aren't guitar fetish pickups in that link.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
its probably the same pickups that are in there already.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
the new link you posted is much better, i'd get 'em.
You just have to look at the retail price. A MIM Strat's pickups sell second hand on the aftermarket for about as much as the retail price for those pickups on GFS new.

GFS pickups are never an 'upgrade'. For guitars like Squiers and Epiphones, they are at best a 'sidestep'. They'll give a slightly different tone but won't actually be an improvement. On other guitars, they will be a downgrade. Ultimately their main use and the main reason anyone buys them is for things like Partscasters and other home built instruments when the builder doesn't have any spare pickups laying around and needs a quick cheap set to sit in there until they get something more permanent.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
i actually prefer the GFS crusader i have in the bridge of my guitar over the EMG that used to be there.

tone is subjective so it's all down to personal preference really.
Quote by MrFlibble
You just have to look at the retail price. A MIM Strat's pickups sell second hand on the aftermarket for about as much as the retail price for those pickups on GFS new.

GFS pickups are never an 'upgrade'. For guitars like Squiers and Epiphones, they are at best a 'sidestep'. They'll give a slightly different tone but won't actually be an improvement. On other guitars, they will be a downgrade. Ultimately their main use and the main reason anyone buys them is for things like Partscasters and other home built instruments when the builder doesn't have any spare pickups laying around and needs a quick cheap set to sit in there until they get something more permanent.

That's not true, I personally did not think the GFS '59 style PAF pickup was much worse than your Seymour Duncan '59 or Dimarzio PAF. They're definitely not "boutique" quality like they claim, but they're much better than what comes in your typical Epiphone. I would certainly never put a set in my guitar, but if you were on a real strict budget, you could do much worse, and like I said, they don't sound that much worse than your run of hte mill Duncan or Dimarzio.

Anyway, I've heard generally pretty good reviews about these;

http://store.guitarfetish.com/jrestalprpis.html

Even from some cork sniffing tone purists. I doubt anyone will be replacing their Fralins, but for the price I think most are impressed.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 9, 2009,