Okay. I've researched building instruments even more, and I really am ready now. I just need to know the proper measurements. I'm doing a neck-thru style explorer (LTD style) I need to know how long of a piece of wood i need to get for the neck area, including the headstock, the fretboard section, and the rest. i was thinking perhaps around 5-6 inches wide [to be adjusted throughout, of course], and 2-2 1/2 inches thick/deep. I just need to know the length.

I also need to know the size for a body blank. obviously no more, or less then 2 inches thick/deep, but i dont know what length and width would be necessary. Obviously it could be a bit smaller than if I was going to do a single piece, bolt on neck style guitar, but i dont know how much. it's an odd shaped guitar, as we all know, so any help is appreciated.

Oh, also, please dont tell me to buy a pre-built/shaped/assembled neck.

Thanks in advance.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

It sounds like this is your first build...? I know this isn't what you asked, but I would suggest making a bolt on neck assembly.
In any case:
I would go for something around 32-35". I'm not sure about the explorer, but that should be really close.
Also, I don't know about the body blank. I would think that a standard body blank would be really close to being right...
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
You know honestly, neck through builds are probably not that complicated for a beginner. As long as this isn't a carved top (and I don't think esp explorers are carved) then its simply attaching two wing pieces of wood no?

As far as body blanks, just go to warmoth (I know, hold on) and look at their body blank sizes, I'd suggest you don't buy from them as they are quite expensive, but it should give you a size idea.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Alright. Thank you. 32-35" would be good for a neck-thru, with headstock section included??? No offense or anything. I just find that a tiny bit hard to believe. perhaps i've forgotten though. (I'm doing a headstock like: Dan Jacobs LTD ) Because this isnt my first build... I've helped build a few before, just none for myself. You may ask why i dont know then. because it's been quite some time.

But yes, neck-thru is as simple as gluing two [three, technically, including both sides of the body and the neck part] pieces of wood together.
With enough money saved you will buy a new straw skirt and coconut bikini, a airplane ticket back to civilization and a large Mesa Boogie amp and a Gibson Explorer and shred the faces off with METALLICA!

Last edited by Sublime_Dude at Mar 9, 2009,
true, I think I undershot there. add six or seven inches. Glad you caught my mistake... cause if you didn't, you'd be pretty ****in unhappy with me...
I'm pissed that Dan changed his custom. His explorer was a lot better looking than his V.
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
haha yeah.

Dan changed his custom???? I had no idea =o I liked that weird ass green one he had like... quite a while back, too. but yeah.

Thanks for all the help everybody. I appreciate it.

EDIT:

I still need to know the measurements for the body blank. I went to that site, but it doesnt give measurements.

Also, wouldnt I need one slightly above standard size? Because of the big 'horn' such as in the bottom left corner of this pic (Yes, its the same one) ???

I'm probably wrong, but yeah. Im just makin sure before I spend money.

Last edited by Sublime_Dude at Mar 9, 2009,

Stole this from some youtube video I found after searching for "Explorer dimensions"

I believe this is the gibson one, but really the only difference is the aggresive angles on the esp.

EDIT: 16" x 24" and whatever thickness you'd want. Probably safe to do 7/4"
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Last edited by sesstreets at Mar 9, 2009,
Wow thank you. This helps out a LOT. ***Question Answered/Problem Solved***

Quote by Emoishboy
true, I think I undershot there. add six or seven inches. Glad you caught my mistake... cause if you didn't, you'd be pretty ****in unhappy with me...
I'm pissed that Dan changed his custom. His explorer was a lot better looking than his V.

yeah his explorer > his V anyday

anyway good luck with the build
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
Neck thru blanks start at about 40" I cant tell you exactly because I dont own an explorer.

If its a solid finish you can add 'ears' to the sides of the body blank to make up enough width for the explorer shape.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
You may want to tack on some extra length to the neck blank if you're planning on doing a long headstock... Unless you want to do a scarf joint that is. Also, with a long body like that, with a TOM-style neck angle, you might want to get a thicker piece of wood for the thru-blank.

Better safe than sorry, right? I know I'd rather spend an extra 10 bucks than come up half an inch off at the end of the body or have to do a scarf joint I didn't plan on doing.

I'll take a couple of measurements later if I remember and tell you what I come up with
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
What is best is to get some plans and a fingerboard and make a mock up of the headstock out of posterboard then you will be able to figure out the length. I always make sure there's an extra inch at least. It really only needs to be about 2 inches wide.