Went to the VK thread and it only made me more confused. I'm wondering what speakers I should get that get pretty good cleans and distortion. I'll be playing everything from ska and maybe dabble in metal a little bit, nothing extremely heavy.

I'm playing through an Epi LP standard. Is there anyone with that set up that has sound clips with a different speaker so I could check out the tone before I buy?

Thanks UG.
Well pretty much anything will sound better. I put an Eminence Redcoat in mine because I wanted British sounds. If you can be more specific with the in-between genres and what kind of gain you want, we can help better. Also, budget?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^what he said.

$70 - Warehouseguitarspeaker.com Veteran 30
$90 - Eminence flavor - Man o War, Texas Heat, Swamp Thang
$120 - Celestion Vintage 30 or Heritage series.

to add on

Most places have bumped the price up to $145
Oh, and how many speakers? Is it a 112 or a 212? Be specific when you state your budget, whether it's for one or two speakers.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
it's a 112. I'd like to keep it as much under $120 as possible. But if it's really worth it then I could shell out whatever. I'm getting paid on Thursday so I'm going to go from there.

I'd like it to get good enough cleans for ska but I'd also like to keep some pretty good gain for when I'm trying to write heavier stuff. If there's any more specifics you guys'd like let me know, I know that last statement was pretty vague. I didn't really understand Sid McCall's question about "in-between" genres.
I think what Sid meant was that Ska and Metal are kinda on opposite ends of the spectrum. Another way to ask is what do you play most of?

Personally, I'd get either an Eminence Texas Heat or a Veteran 30 from warehouseguitarspeakers. Just as good as a Celestion Vintage 30 in a VK at almost half the cost.

http://warehousespeakers.com/products.php?cat=9&PHPSESSID=0fba399e6ea9e8659f64ec2e97399d2e
I guess if that's the case then I play a lot of modern rock. I'm playing a lot of Modest Mouse lately since I just saw them live in February. But I play a lot of rock and punk. I know it's still ska but I like Aaron Barrett from Reel Big Fish's tone. Except maybe a bit heavier.

I know, I'm kind of inbetween a lot of things right now, haha.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think what Sid meant was that Ska and Metal are kinda on opposite ends of the spectrum. Another way to ask is what do you play most of?

Personally, I'd get either an Eminence Texas Heat or a Veteran 30 from warehouseguitarspeakers. Just as good as a Celestion Vintage 30 in a VK at almost half the cost.

http://warehousespeakers.com/products.php?cat=9&PHPSESSID=0fba399e6ea9e8659f64ec2e97399d2e

I second the WGS Vet30. Good all around, jack of all trades speaker. Its cheap too.