Hey, I'm gonna be playing at an open mic next weekend. Problem is, I don't own an acoustic. I've heard that it's hard for one dude and an electric to be credible, so I have to borrow an acoustic, right? Is the above true?

This would be annoying because of the borrowing, and also because I play in Eb, so I would have to mess around with tuning instead of just tuning at home.
There's nothing wrong with playing an open mic show with an electric guitar. They both do the same thing. Go ahead an play that show on your electric guitar, man. If you want to, you can even stand up and play it while you sing you're song, so you don't have to sit down and play. The electris is even more versatile. Do what YOU want. B
An electric can definitely work by itself. Stone Sour used just an electric guitar on Bother. I believe Jeff Buckley used a single guitar on Hallelujah, as well.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
You just have to do it right. And let me point out that getting up and playing the songs you were going to play on electric on an acoustic doesn't solve any part of the problem.

The whole thing is someone playing lead guitar parts solo at an open mic night is going to go down in flames. If you're solo up on stage you almost have to take the singer songwriter approach and play those types of songs. Very very few people can pull off anything else.
Easily doable!
If you have access to effects, a subtle splash of chorus and/or reverb really helps.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by gabcd86
Hey, I'm gonna be playing at an open mic next weekend. Problem is, I don't own an acoustic. I've heard that it's hard for one dude and an electric to be credible, so I have to borrow an acoustic, right? Is the above true?

This would be annoying because of the borrowing, and also because I play in Eb, so I would have to mess around with tuning instead of just tuning at home.

Why on earth would you need to mess around with tuning? What's so hard about shifitng everything down a half step?

Playing typical electric stuff tends to sound pretty lame if you're solo, playing acoustic parts on a clean electric sounds fine though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It can work. Just play clean with some verb and chorus and you'll be fine. Guitar solos are a no-no though, unless you have some kind of backing track
Oh excellent, I don't need to borrow.

I know solos are "banned" unless they continue the rhythm (mine don't :P ), but would light distortion be ok? Just a bit of crunch?
Sure! Just the sort of amount where it's completely clean when you strum softly and only starts to break up when you play harder.

Everything in moderation!
404: Sig not found.
completely false, as long as you're playing clean electric it can sound dazzling (sometimes much more so than an acoustic)

i read something here about no full sound? what about a sweet reverb and a light delay, combined with the longer sustain of an electric its a fuller tone by definition

also, you get more different sounds by picking at different places, and you can play softer and still be heard well, giving more dynamical space

ive personally done a lot of solo guitar performances, all electric, and all sounded (loads) better than i could have pulled off at an acoustic

it does depend a lot on the quality of your guitar though
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Jeff Buckley. Live at Sin-E

Go listen to some of that album and then go "Oh, I see I could be totally awesome with just a electric".

I think I have natural talent for guitar because I'm left handed and I use that hand to pleasure myself. Seeing as I started playing after most of intense masturbating-teen years, the dexterity was already there.
If the Beatles can do it so can you.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Ive seeen Dave Drohl do it a few times. And nobody ****s with Grohl. NOBODY ****S WITH GROHL!!! NNOBODY!!!!!