whatup everyone. So basically ive been learning guitar for 4 months now on really cheap acoustic and my birthdays coming up so I want to buy an electric. I want to get the best beginner guitar possible. I realize you get what you pay for but im looking for a cheaper electric thats good quality and will last me anywhere from 2-3 years. I need one that wont fall apart, and that I can use to continue my learning on and also jam with other people on, but i dont need a guitar to play a stadium obviously. Some of my friends have told me to get the Squier by Fender bullet or affinity fat strat and i saw these online at guitarcenter for around $120 and $180. I love to play blues, alternative, and rock. Stuff like coldplay, pink floyd, SRV, jeff beck, john mayer if that matters at all. I basically just need some advice cause I realize when your looking at lower end gear it can be hit and miss. Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Try to find something midranged used.
Use the search bar for what people think about any guitars you think you may get, trust me most guitars have been talked to death on here.

TL;DR=go used and use the search bar.
Nah, get the squier. Its the best guitar for everything BUT gigs.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Jacoiskoby
Nah, get the squier. Its the best guitar for everything BUT gigs.

See if you can get one of those starter packs that come with an amp.
RULE: Don't get anything that looks badass for a beginner guitar. It most likely sucks. Although there are always exceptions, buy something very standard and sturdy looking. DON'T let salesmen talk you into buying something expensive.
Quote by BonezShaker
DONT get the Squier !! Get A Yamaha Pacifica 112J they are much much better

This.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Yamaha Pacifica are very good guitars.
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way
Quote by _Sanitarium_
Try to find something midranged used.
Use the search bar for what people think about any guitars you think you may get, trust me most guitars have been talked to death on here.

TL;DR=go used and use the search bar.

Do this. Go second hand - you'll be able to afford a much better instrument. Most people seem to sell kit for about half the price they paid for it - unless it is virtually immaculate, then they might get 2/3 full price if they're lucky.

Work out roughly what you want, go out (without any money) and try everything you think you might want til you know what you want - or have it narrowed down to one or two options, then find one second hand
I've found MIM Fenders going as low as $150. You can easily find a gem of one if you look around. beats out any Squier Ive played except for one or two gems, too.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I was going to buy a pacifica 112j for my first guitar but my GC hasnt carried them for like 6 years or something. So I settled for my used Ibanez GSA60 with a dimebucker bridge pickup for $120 about 4 months ago.
Honestly i was in your boat a month ago... do NOT BUY ONLINE!!! goto a local shop and try some out... i really love my ESP LTD F-50, personally i love the look, feel, playability, and the sound of it... so far i have had ZERO problems with it and i play about 6 hours a day. so i think that is a really great guitar to learn on... also unless u want to look like a new guy just trying to follow the trend stay away from fenders... i know they are decent guitars but everyone and their step uncle twice removed has one.
I'm the noob that takes everyone as his teacher.

ESP LTD F50 in black

Pevey Vypyr 15 Amp
Squier Satin Trans Fat Stratocaster HSS
Quote by Jaymz_515
I pretend I'm a huge spider laying eggs, then when I flush the toilet I fall to floor screaming "MY CHILLLDRENN!! NOOOO!"

If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by zhilla
Do this. Go second hand - you'll be able to afford a much better instrument. Most people seem to sell kit for about half the price they paid for it - unless it is virtually immaculate, then they might get 2/3 full price if they're lucky.

Work out roughly what you want, go out (without any money) and try everything you think you might want til you know what you want - or have it narrowed down to one or two options, then find one second hand

this
I agree with the Squier, its what I started on. I'm not big on Strats, but its a great beginner axe. But I also agree to go to a music store and try out multiple guitars and see what fits you most. If you find one you like and its cheaper online, buy it online.
Westfield is your best bet for a beginner guitar. I've heard loads of ranting about the quality around here, but they are actually great, in my opinion. Just my $0.02.
Quote by m1tch
whatup everyone. So basically ive been learning guitar for 4 months now on really cheap acoustic and my birthdays coming up so I want to buy an electric. I want to get the best beginner guitar possible. I realize you get what you pay for but im looking for a cheaper electric thats good quality and will last me anywhere from 2-3 years. I need one that wont fall apart, and that I can use to continue my learning on and also jam with other people on, but i dont need a guitar to play a stadium obviously. Some of my friends have told me to get the Squier by Fender bullet or affinity fat strat and i saw these online at guitarcenter for around $120 and $180. I love to play blues, alternative, and rock. Stuff like coldplay, pink floyd, SRV, jeff beck, john mayer if that matters at all. I basically just need some advice cause I realize when your looking at lower end gear it can be hit and miss. Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

what's your amp?

because that's all the difference.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
your friends are smart. you can probbably get the bullet in a starter pack and get a whole load of other stuff with it. the strat is very versatile in the range of things you can pull off with it rangind from blues to plenty of nice solid rock
Being a Bass player is pretty LOW i.m.o...
My Gear:
squier strat HSS
(coming soon) hand built superstrat style.
(coming soon) hand built mahogany spruce top acoustic.
Fender Mustang I 20w
Line 6 FLoor POD (standard)
im using a marshall mg15 cdr 15 watt amp..wanna play alternative/psychadelic/blues....ive heard that affinity and bullet are okay but i also just checked out the classic vibesd for like $350 and im hearing alot of good things about them..i think i might go with a squier classic vibe 60's strat
Quote by m1tch
im using a marshall mg15 cdr 15 watt amp..wanna play alternative/psychadelic/blues....ive heard that affinity and bullet are okay but i also just checked out the classic vibesd for like $350 and im hearing alot of good things about them..i think i might go with a squier classic vibe 60's strat

you'll like the looks and if you set it up correctly, you'll probably like the guitar.

but dont be surprised if you cant get the tones you're looking for out of it.

it's the amp not the guitar.

i'm not saying to swap out the amp or anything. i would, but that's me.
just warning you not to blame the guitar if yo get frustrated.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011