I've narrowed my search down considerably after trying many different amps. It's a toss up for me on the 3 listed, your input would be great. I like the sound/tones of all 3 amps. The Invader though is on my can I really afford this list, only due to the fact I can only find 150's for sale no 100s which is what I am looking for(let me know if you know someone selling one). The Blackmore is pretty simple and does the job. I've found a used UL that needs the tubes changed out for $1600.

My questions to you guys are out of the three listed, what will work best a bedroom volumes?

Whats the best build/reliable one?

What's the most versatile?

Which one do you think can bring the brootalz the best and without any help?

If for some reason I get bored with the amp and need to resell, what would be the easiest for resale?

I also need a cab, so which one would work great with a wide variety of cabs?
god the ENGL invader is SOOOO sweetttttt

I think it's more versatile
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Quote by Lucky7s
I've narrowed my search down considerably after trying many different amps. It's a toss up for me on the 3 listed, your input would be great. I like the sound/tones of all 3 amps. The Invader though is on my can I really afford this list, only due to the fact I can only find 150's for sale no 100s which is what I am looking for(let me know if you know someone selling one). The Blackmore is pretty simple and does the job. I've found a used UL that needs the tubes changed out for $1600.

My questions to you guys are out of the three listed, what will work best a bedroom volumes?

Whats the best build/reliable one?

What's the most versatile?

Which one do you think can bring the brootalz the best and without any help?

If for some reason I get bored with the amp and need to resell, what would be the easiest for resale?

I also need a cab, so which one would work great with a wide variety of cabs?

Bedroom volume vote goes to the ENGL Blackmore

Most reliable doesn't really apply here...all three amps are built like a tank.

Most versatile amp I'd say is the Invader

Brootalz the best is a tossup between the Invader and the UL. I'm partial to the Invader though, I love the ENGL growl.

I think all these amps work well with many cabs. For the ENGL's I'd go for straight up V30 cabinets...not sure about the UL.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Mar 9, 2009,
Invader vs. UL is really the only contest here, but since you said you can't find any 100s for sale, the UL is probably the best choice.

However, have you looked into the Savage? It's kinda like a Blackmore, but better sounding imo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^I agree, the Blackmore is based off of the Savage, with a more "Ritchie Blackmore" type voicing. A much more br00tal amp, and has seperate EQ's, which I think are a must for those types of amps.
The Pittbull would need VHT cabs for the best results, with P50 speakers in there. They don't sound nearly as good apparently without those cabs/speakers.
That's a great deal you found on the UL, considering those go for around $3400 new. I'd recommend you going for that, then looking into a VHT cab with P50's. Jump on that, as those amps will jump in resale value down the line most likely, now that they are made under the Fryette name. Go for the UL
Last edited by bowen at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Invader vs. UL is really the only contest here, but since you said you can't find any 100s for sale, the UL is probably the best choice.

However, have you looked into the Savage? It's kinda like a Blackmore, but better sounding imo.

Yeah, I came across one savage but it was gone before I could do anything. I thought about it and just figured with the Invader being a few hundred more I should just go for it rather than the Savage. The reason I have the Blackmore over the Savage is all about the price. I had thought about cheaper amps, but figured I would buy a cheaper one, and end up wanting one of the three I listed and wasting my time and money on that cheaper one, so getting either the UL or Invader will be pushing my spending limits, but should keep me happy for quite some time.

I have come across an Invader 150, but it seems like the 100 is favored by many and that it probably wouldn't sound as good at low volumes due to the massive wattage?
Again, I say - bedroom levels, it has got to be the Blackmore - sounds very good at 1-2.

Invader sounds too mushy and messy for me - kinda one trick pony there.

SE and Savage - happy medium - if the price is right...
Quote by davedoom
Again, I say - bedroom levels, it has got to be the Blackmore - sounds very good at 1-2.

Invader sounds too mushy and messy for me - kinda one trick pony there.

SE and Savage - happy medium - if the price is right...

Those SE's are so nice. I would love to go for one of those, but they're way over what I can afford right now
Now it's just a battle between UL and Invader. Anyone played both? Which one do you guys think will work better at low volumes?