Wasn't sure where to ask. I want something pretty straightforward. I really like what NORD makes but I can't afford it. Are there any other keys out there under say $300 that are sort of like that. I don't want a million different presets or anything, just something with a few good sounds I can tweak.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Does it have to be a stand-alone unit?

You could always use computer software and a MIDI keyboard controller
This is the best i can recomend for budget.
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=439617V

EDIT: ^ Thats a good point.
If possible this is great.
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=700932V
Mixed with a good program you could have a great sound and lots of fun.
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Mar 9, 2009,
Theres not really a whole lot you can get in that price range other than those beginner keyboards. And those generally don't sound very good.

this is the best I can think of that's close your budget http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-MicroKORG-SynthesizerVocoder?sku=702244
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Does it have to be a stand-alone unit?

You could always use computer software and a MIDI keyboard controller

Yeah, that could work too. I'd rather have a standalone but if I can get a decent controller and some decent software for that price...
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Theres not really a whole lot you can get in that price range other than those beginner keyboards. And those generally don't sound very good.

How much more would I have to spend to get something decent? Right now the only thing I have is a vintage Wurlitzer 210 on a custom 410 cab/stand and the thing is amazing but it's got lot of sentimental value and It's not leaving my living room.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Quote by soul_power
Yeah, that could work too. I'd rather have a standalone but if I can get a decent controller and some decent software for that price...

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Keystation-88es-USB-MIDI-Keyboard-Controller?sku=703607 you can get this and copy of FL studio, which in adition to having some decent stuff included is a VSTi host and there are tons of free VSTis out there.

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Oxygen61-61Key-Mobile-USB-Controller?sku=706312 heres another cheapish controller, with more tweakability.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Keystation-88es-USB-MIDI-Keyboard-Controller?sku=703607 you can get this and copy of FL studio, which in adition to having some decent stuff included is a VSTi host and there are tons of free VSTis out there.

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Oxygen61-61Key-Mobile-USB-Controller?sku=706312 heres another cheapish controller, with more tweakability.

I like the 61. So at this price point you think it would be better to go with a controller?
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
yeah, that's what I did (saving up for minimoog ATM) that way you get a ton of options. and pretty much unlimited expandability in terms of the sounds you can get. There are actually tons of pros out there that strictly use MIDI controller keyboards.

Last.fm
Look for old/vintage synths on eBay. There are tons of grossly underpriced great ones that always get sold. If you're looking to get a hardware synth, I wouldn't even consider buying new because of all the amazing stuff you can get used. For reference use www.vintagesynth.com

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
meh, most vintage hardware doesn't go for that cheap. I have seen planty of old Access Virus As go for like $400, but usually the module versions that require a MIDI controller anyway.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
meh, most vintage hardware doesn't go for that cheap. I have seen planty of old Access Virus As go for like $400, but usually the module versions that require a MIDI controller anyway.

That's because Viruses are pretty much the staple synth for most EDM producers nowadays. There are plenty of old Korgs, Rolands, Yamahas, etc going for much less than they should. For example, you can find cheap Juno 60s and 106s, but they are super awesome synths.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Virus As aren't. I look at synths on eBay all the time, I've never seen a working Juno go for under $500. might be able to get a used microkorg though.

Last.fm
All Viruses are loved a lot. This is why their resale value is so high. I guess I did forget that we are talking about $200 though.
In that case, running VSTs is probably the best bet.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

me, like I said, I've seen Virus As sell in the $400 range all the time, I'd definitely reccomend saving for one if you like modern EDM.

Last.fm
Ohhh - I misunderstood you then. Yes, Viruses are great synths (heck, not just for EDM) and getting one would be a great investment.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

if you want to raise your budget a bit, you can get a roland Juno-D which is an excellent and straightforward keyboard, it's got lots of piano sounds, organs, everything and they have an excellent sound quality, especially for the price.
the juno-d gave me the faith I had lost in Roland