As title says, aside from starting slow, and seperating the song into little bits, is there anything else? tricks of the trade?
Once you know the little bits, practice the song completely withouth breaks. Again and again and again and again.

And ofcourse analyze the hell out of the song :P
record your playing both the pieces and the complete song. This will aid you to spot areas for improvement.
just pick up the guitar and play it every time you walk by
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.

RHCP

LED ZEP

HENDRIX

Hail SYD BARRETT
Break it up into parts. Practise regularly, doesn't really matter how long you practise for. You'll process the info much better if you go through it once every twenty minutes then 100 times once a week.

Edit : Forgot about one of my tricks. When I was trying to get my bends perfect (still trying) I made a little game with myself. I wasn't allowed to do something, like smoke or eat or jam or something, until I practised bending for 20 minutes. Works wonders.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Last edited by The_Sophist at Mar 9, 2009,
imagine exactly what to play before you play it. try this. concentrate on this exercise. then play.
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way
Like the other guy said, analyze the hell out of it. Once you know the theory behind the song and you know exactly whats going on, its much easier to play. Its like memorizing that 7 times 8 equals 56, versus knowing how to multiply any numbers which makes it much easier.
I learned little piece of a song and it over and over till I had it down and then moved on to the next piece. Played it over and over till I had it and then moved to the next one.
The way I do it is simply take it piece by piece, maybe slow at first if needed (as often is), then I play along with the actual song to make sure I'm getting all the phrasing right. This (at least for me) seems to be the best method I think.