So I've always used the gain on my amps, and I've never really delved into the world of pedals. I'm wanting to try and get a sound that Paul Gilbert gets, like choppy and sharp distortion, rather than this muddy sound I'm getting.

I've got a Crate V50 amp, which is a 50W tube amp which runs on 2 6L6 tubes if I recall properly.

I've checked out the Boss DS-1, but I haven't tested it yet.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a sharp, choppy distortion pedal?

I don't have too much money to splash on it, maybe $200 max. Keep in mind that I'm in NZ and at the moment it's like 1USD to 2 NZD. A new Boss pedal costs about $130NZD.
Quote by Gunpowder
You almost banged her? Well you get an almost high five!

*Stops half way*
What do you mean by choppy? When I think choppy, I think of fuzz.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Maybe not necessarily choppy. Like sharper attack or something I guess. Right now it sounds like it's just laying white noise over it and calling it distortion. That's an exaggeration but yeah.
Quote by Gunpowder

*Stops half way*
O.o
Maybe give us a clip of the kind of sound you are looking for because I really have no clue what you are talking about. Check out what fuzz sounds like as well (could be it).

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by A Certain Death
im gonna say get a new amp.
crate = fail

You must be missing a chromosome, my friend. Crate V series amps are pretty good amps. Not everyone plays "metal" and needs a 6505.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
You must be missing a chromosome, my friend. Crate V series amps are pretty good amps. Not everyone plays "metal" and needs a 6505.

very true. Have you looked at any of the Boss's?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

i have a 5150.
=D

and i stand by my statement...
CLOSE MINDED METAL LOVERS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!
*chugs away*
If you want more attack
have you tried just picking harder?
This may sound stupid, but it can change your sound!
Paul Gilbert uses British voiced amps like Laney and Marshall. I'm not sure about the V series, but most amps can swap between 6L6 and EL34 tubes, which is the type of tube you would want to get a more British sound out of your amp. This would probably sound better than most stompboxes for a Paul Gilbert tone.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1RypBww_g

That's him playing Technical Difficulties.

Yeah I might try changing the tubes. I'd have to rebias it right? I'd probably take it to the shop to get it done. Any particular brands I should get? Or stay away from?
Quote by Gunpowder

*Stops half way*
Keep in mind that he doesn't use a lot of gain. He angles his pick until he gets a nice scratchy sound. Search for "Paul Gilbert pick mechanics" or something like that in Youtube.
If you want his choppy piercing sound increase your presence knob.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
try an eq pedal so you can shape your tone the way you want it.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20