Well are they?

Do you in all honesty need one if you have a good amp?
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by roosoh13
"Ok folks, our in flight movie will be a series of sex tapes your parents have made"

Quote by coryklok
I'd hit that like Carmel hits the ban button.
If your amp isn't giving you the distortion you want then yes, you need a distortion/od pedal.

/thread
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
ummmm, an overdrive is always a nice thing to have, boost and tighten your gain a little bit

but no to the distortion pedal... unless it's an OCD
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Good ones are worth the money - the sucky ones really do suck though. If you're going to buy one then get the one that's right for you no matter what the cost (same as most guitar equipment really).
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
If you have an amp that does great cleans, but ****ty distortion (Fender amps for example), then yeah, dist. pedals are bitchin' to have.
it depends on the distortion pedal and what you want to use it for.

a lot of people seem to think that distortion pedals are just "a substitute for amp distortion". but they can be used for a number of different things which are not limited to the 3 i can think of on the spot:

-allowing you to get a different distorted tone to contrast against what your amp has
-allowing you to switch between clean and distortion on a single channel amp
-a hard-edged boost for a tube amp, which is my favourite use for a distortion pedal. It gives the tone something an overdrive pedal can't give.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
it depends on the distortion pedal and what you want to use it for.

a lot of people seem to think that distortion pedals are just "a substitute for amp distortion". but they can be used for a number of different things which are not limited to the 3 i can think of on the spot:

-allowing you to get a different distorted tone to contrast against what your amp has
-allowing you to switch between clean and distortion on a single channel amp
-a hard-edged boost for a tube amp, which is my favourite use for a distortion pedal. It gives the tone something an overdrive pedal can't give.

but if you had an amp that had two seperate distortion channels suchs as lead and crunch, what other tone options would a pedal offer?
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by roosoh13
"Ok folks, our in flight movie will be a series of sex tapes your parents have made"

Quote by coryklok
I'd hit that like Carmel hits the ban button.
A thicker, saturated tone if you stack the distortion.

Or another type of distortion tone. Yes, you can have three!
I run my Metal Muff thorugh my good tube amp all the time, it makes a world of difference. So yeah, distortion pedals are definitely worth it for certain tones.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by maximus69er
but if you had an amp that had two seperate distortion channels suchs as lead and crunch, what other tone options would a pedal offer?
Try buying some and find out. They all sound a little different.
Quote by maximus69er

Put it this way: I used to play through a Soldano Decatone, an amp with three channels, two of which are dirty, and one of which has more gain on tap than any human being will ever need...........and I still ran an OD up front.

Different dirt boxes give you different distortion characteristics and different amounts of distortion.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by unininium
Good ones are worth the money - the sucky ones really do suck though. If you're going to buy one then get the one that's right for you no matter what the cost (same as most guitar equipment really).

I second that, better to spend $800 on 1 kick ass pedal that will do 90% of what you need than to spend $1000 on 5 or 6 one-trick ponies to do 95% of what you need it to do.

Excellent dist pedals will give you access to tone and sonic ranges your amp might not be able to achieve.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Some people run clean amps with no on board distortion or overdrive, so a few dirt pedals are necessary.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I run my Metal Muff thorugh my good tube amp all the time, it makes a world of difference. So yeah, distortion pedals are definitely worth it for certain tones.

Truth. If you have a good clean/lowgain amp, you can keep that but get some distortion too.
Sounds like my setup (well...my decent tube amp. It's no twin reverb, but it works).
Once again, it depends on whether you like your amp distortion.

I have always liked to use pedals instead of a footswitch, but that might have to change depending on what I find out of my JCM 900 once I get it.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
joe satriani has a great sig amp with great disrtortion. but he still will often use a dist. pedal on his clean channel.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by evening_crow
If your amp isn't giving you the distortion you want then yes, you need a distortion/od pedal.

/THREAD

first time i see someone using "/thread" right.
Quote by SmashandBurn
Teacher: "There will be a test tomorrow no exceptions."

Student: "What about complete and utter sexual exhaustion?"

Teacher: "You'll just have to write with your other hand."

Quote by imdeth
Lesbian Link ladies. Oh yes.
Well seeing as how distortion pedals are known to give guys named leroy and skipp incurable foot fungus it really depends on how many and how large your testicles are.

/thread
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not