May sound silly.
I want to get into a band toplay my songs but I can't help feeling scared of sharing my songs with people I don't know. I'm always worried that if we split up they would keep playing my stuff. And worst case scenario, actually recording some.
So it's hard to commit.
I have copyrighted my songs.
Even if my songs aren't that good. Well see for yourself www.myspace.com/lafugue (Don't nick it though )
I guess it's like worrying about my girlfriend running off with Cat, my childhood friend. Erm, I mean, *cough cough* my Danelectro...
How about you?
Quote by EirikFtw
You have achieved what I thought impossible, you are my new god

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Founder of the "Marmite: We love it!" Union
translator/ radio-operator of the bass militia
yea, but to counter it I've decided to not right any, which works out well sense I don't know **** about writing music.
Quote by hendrixism
yea, but to counter it I've decided to not right any, which works out well sense I don't know **** about writing music.

My band can't take the guitar parts because not only do I write the guitars and bass, there's no good hardcore guitarists 'round these parts, so it's okay.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
It could happen, but you could also die when you cross the street.

There's nothing u can do about it.

U might play ur song live at a gig, and a producer in the audience might steal a chorus if it's catchy and make a pop song out of it.

That **** happens all the time.

Look how often Major artists get blamed for stealing a riff/song from a unknown band.

Almost every popular artist gets blamed once, because with the amount of musicians and the average/popular "musical complexity" being at a relatively low standard in popular music.

The chance of coming up with something that hasn't been done, or will be done by someone else is very unlikely.

Yes there are 1000's of different note combinations, but look at urself, if you play ur guitar, then you often play random licks, but they don't sound nice so you forget about them.

But really you can see them as a "combination", but you just don't like it.

You probably played 100's of different melodies if not 1000's, just you neglect them cause they don't sound special.

Multiply this with the amount of musicians in the world and you have more combinations then there exist, superficial speaking, cause of course making the tempo 1 bpm lower is technically different, but I think u get my point.

I'm pretty sure all the "good" "Standard" melodies have been done already.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 9, 2009,
I generally record at least a demo of everything i write, then when I have enough of them I have the copyrights registered.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i have the same fear.. i write songs that take a bloody long time, not just a few riffs and lyrics,, i mean multiple guitar sections, vocals i laydown the bass, drums and synth if needed, they may not be any good but the time and passion spent in writting them would suck if someone took them away.. i dont really want to play in a band anymore but if i did id just write new songs with them and keep my own for my side projects. i guess your best bet is to write new songs or at least a few riffs the start the ball rolling, then let the rest of the band finish them off.. this way you wont feel that bad if it dosnt work out...

one think i hate is when your in a band and you are the only person writing songs.. and everyone else has to learn the play and arrangements from you... thats not a band.. bands about working as a team and developing your style with every member as one... i have a friend who dosnt want to write music but want to play rythm guitar in bands, who is in a band at the moment making no contribution to any writing proccess and i really think it sucks for the other members...

so i guess you will need to find a band that will work as one and not force you to write all the material, that way you should be okey if it all falls to ****....

keep rocking
alf...
Keep Rocking
alf...
Cheers for that guys.
I guess the best thing would be to write new stuff in a band.
Or wait untill my bloody brother can be arsed to learn my songs and enroll an illiterate drummer...
Quote by EirikFtw

Quote by Senor Kristian
Here's a stupid question... How do you copyright your music?

The easiest way is to send yourself a CD as registered post. Proof of date is the most important thing.
And don't open it.
Quote by EirikFtw

Quote by Limey
The easiest way is to send yourself a CD as registered post. Proof of date is the most important thing.
And don't open it.

Yup this.

The only way for someone to neglect this proof is if you own the postal company or if you have family working in quite high postal functions.

Other then that it's the best easy/cheap copyright method there is.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Limey
And don't open it.

This has been shown numerous times to not hold up in court (at least in the U.S.) do not do this and assume you have proper copyright protection.

Quote by Senor Kristian
Here's a stupid question... How do you copyright your music?

You send a CD of your stuff, a long with the proper forms to your countries copyright office. they usually charge a small fee.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by Limey
And don't open it.

Because it's impossible to open and reseal an envelope.

If you really want to copyright your songs get a lawyer to do it for you, but this is all in CT's copyright thread.
Quote by 12345abcd3
Because it's impossible to open and reseal an envelope.

If you really want to copyright your songs get a lawyer to do it for you, but this is all in CT's copyright thread.

Not impossible, just poor proof.

Best thing is to have many different sources.

example;
If someone has a bootleg of you playing a song in a club in America, and you live Germany and you mailed the song to you, then it's hard for a judge to deny ur the original artist.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by Limey
May sound silly.
I want to get into a band toplay my songs but I can't help feeling scared of sharing my songs with people I don't know. I'm always worried that if we split up they would keep playing my stuff. And worst case scenario, actually recording some.
So it's hard to commit.
I have copyrighted my songs.
Even if my songs aren't that good. Well see for yourself www.myspace.com/lafugue (Don't nick it though )
I guess it's like worrying about my girlfriend running off with Cat, my childhood friend. Erm, I mean, *cough cough* my Danelectro...
How about you?

As should they go on and record your songs without you they will still need to credit you as songwriter. It's like Bob Dylan being worried that someone else is going to record one of his songs. What the hell are you worried about.

If you really are worried then get a band agreement and make sure that one of the things in there is that that if you split up then you retain all exclusive rights to your songs and that they retain all exclusive rights to theirs.

Besides if you're so good that everyone is going to nick your work then you will make it - but only if you play your songs and get them out there.

Lay off the weed man it's making you paranoid.
Si