I just saw an advertisement in a guitar magasine for a Digitech Vocalist Live 4. Apparently, it's a piece of pedal equipment that makes harmonies when you sing (up to 4 of them), it even registers guitar chords, so that depending on what key the overall song is in, the harmonys might vary. I read some reviews, and apparently it works really well. Pretty nifty, huh?

But where does the line go between a musician singing and playing, and a musician letting a bunch of equipment play and sing for him/her? Is it okay to step onto a stage with only a guitar, a microphone and this Vocalist Live 4 thingie, and recieve applause from a crowd mesmerized by the great harmonies, even they you didn't do anything, you just bought an expenceive piece of equipment? Or does it not matter, since it's still you're voice, your playing, your talent...

I'm not really sure what to think about it, i've never been a big pedal guy, i have a good wah-wah (Vox V847), and was thinking about maybe gettinh an octave pedal, but I sort of like the idea of playing guitar, not letting my guitar be played by a piece of equipment, but that's just me, and i have full respect for guitarists who use lots of pedals...

Does anyone have any opinions on matters like this? I'd love to hear them!
If you use the equipment in an inventive way, then go right ahead. Crashing harmonious singing during a coda would receive applause from me, and I'm pretty rough on this kinda ****.

If you use it to cover up bad singing, then yeah. I think you know the answer.
If you use it like Cynic then it could be awesome.

If you use it like Kanye West then its the opposite of awesome.
Sig What?
Honestly, how is it different from using ANY effects past natural tube overdrive? How many guitarists go out of their way to have a distinct sound that is only possible by using multiple effects that are "doing it for them??

The line would definitely be having some sort of "automatic pilot" system where you just hit start and automation plays the instrument. Anything before that is just using effects to augment what you're playing.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by BaffAttack
Honestly, how is it different from using ANY effects past natural tube overdrive? How many guitarists go out of their way to have a distinct sound that is only possible by using multiple effects that are "doing it for them??

The line would definitely be having some sort of "automatic pilot" system where you just hit start and automation plays the instrument. Anything before that is just using effects to augment what you're playing.

i'm with you
Plus, bands like Skinny puppy have an awesome sound with all the effects and everything. Personally, I love vocal effects, I have a huge crush on vocoder.
and anyways, if you sing with an auto-tune, what's so wrong with that? Some people can't sing properly but write awesome songs and have great voices, even though they aren't really accurate.. Personally, I think an auto-tune is awesome, it's kind of a safety net too, you can't put a bad performance with it. What if the dude doesn't want to/can't take singing lessons, and anyways you can do cool effects with that.
of course, if you're going to sell out and play jonas brothers covers, then screw it, you don't deserve any recognition.
no-one seems to mind the gratuitous use of auto-tune on records these days anyway, this is no different
Quote by bapplebo
If you use it to cover up bad singing, then yeah. I think you know the answer.
If it can cover up bad singing then wouldn't you want them to use it?
Quote by darth awsome
If you use it like Cynic then it could be awesome.

If you use it like Kanye West then its the opposite of awesome.

This isn't auto-tune. But since you bashed Kanye, I have to comment. If you just like to hate hip-hop, then you're an idiot anyway. The idea behind him using auto-tune was to rip the emotion out of his voice, which was the theme of the album. He was so emotionally stressed he felt like he was becoming a robot (metaphorically, duh).

Anyway, this thing doesn't pitch correct, it makes cool harmonies. You need to KNOW HOW to sing. Not just be able to sing, but really know what you're doing to make this thing work. It's like a Digitech Whammy (or three) for your voice.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite