I'm just wondering, I somehow became the bassist for a new band that I'm forming up right now and I don't really fully understand why you can't plug a bass in a guitar amp.

everyone I've ever asked just says "NO it'll explode" Well alright, but whats the problem exactly? Because I've heard A) Messes up tubes and B) The speakers can't handle it.

If its B then why can't you just use a small 2x10 bass cab?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
A normal Guitar Amp speaker cannot handle the lower frequencies (hZ) of a bass guitar. The lower frequencies at first will do nothing, but continual use will eventually destroy the speaker. It isn't a straight away thing, it's gradual, but in the end, it's the same. It doesn't matter if it's a 10w amp, a cab, whatever. If it's a guitar speaker, it will be damaged by the bass guitar.
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
the frequencies of a guitar are like an octave and a bit higher than your bass. guitar amps are designed to handle that. Bass amps on the other hand are designed to handle much lower freqs so if a guitar signal were to be of this form:
----------
and a bass signal were to be of this form:
========

you can see a massive difference. plus the speakers just arent gonna cut it.
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
Technically i guess you could use a guitar head with a bass cab, although i doubt it would be good for the guitar head having all those low frequencies pumping through it. Also, it wouldnt sound as good
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE HEAD OF THE AMPLIFIER

the head is fine, all the head will do is filter some of the low frequencies out because that's how it's designed otherwise guitars would sound very boomy.

the cab on the other will eventually break. It's not a case of plug it in and the apocalypse will come it's a gradual process but eventually the amount the speaker moves to produce the bass frequencies will cause it to tear. You can slow the process down by cutting back the bass at the EQ stage and by keeping the volume low.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I understand that the lower frequencies on the bass have more balls to them. I just wanted to see if I could avoid buying a bass amp and just buy a 2x12 cab =)

And speaking of bass amps... which I guess I need to buy now =(

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ampeg-BA112-50W-Single-12-Bass-Combo-481776-i1145714.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-MAX-115-Bass-Combo-104003447-i1145637.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gallien-Krueger-Backline-112-Bass-Combo-103055976-i1145822.gc

Any thoughts on those? I can get together around 300 or so bucks, mostly just play everything basically. I mean really, from heart to led zeppeling to soundgarden.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by jimmy_neutron
Technically i guess you could use a guitar head with a bass cab, although i doubt it would be good for the guitar head having all those low frequencies pumping through it. Also, it wouldnt sound as good

Would it really be bad? I know of a handful of bands that use bass heads and guitar cabs for their guitars to aid in a deeper sound.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
i'd go with the peavey it's bulletproof but take a look at hartke, acoustic and ashdown aswell
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Ampeg no longer has a good name?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Ampeg no longer has a good name?

ampeg's lower end stuff is under powered and over priced. for the same price as the ampeg you could probably get most other amps with twice the power. and the low end ampegs don't have the signature ampeg tone
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
For a grand i can get a decent Ampeg head, or for the same grand i can get a top of the line mesa Boogie head. Thier quality has gone down. =[
I understand. Although the svt sounds fantastic; it is 1500 bucks or so lol.

Will check out a bunch of bass amps today to see whats going on with them.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
I understand. Although the svt sounds fantastic; it is 1500 bucks or so lol.

Will check out a bunch of bass amps today to see whats going on with them.

Look at markbass, they are pretty good for the price
Quote by skater dan0
IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE HEAD OF THE AMPLIFIER
Not quite correct, the reason that bass amplifiers are usualy several times more powerful wattage wise than guitar amps is because it takes more energy to move a speaker enough to produce bass register notes.
Any thing below 50 watts will soon overheat at the output stage when driven hard producing bess frequencies for anything but short periods, at best the amp will temporarily shut down at worst you will be replacing componenets in the outout stage.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Yes, but that's a byproduct of the amp, isn't it? I mean, that same thing should happen if you drive the amp super-hard with a guitar. It just so happens that with a guitar, you never really need to.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Yes, but that's a byproduct of the amp, isn't it? I mean, that same thing should happen if you drive the amp super-hard with a guitar. It just so happens that with a guitar, you never really need to.

The lower in frequency that you go the more power you soak up, guitar frequencies make cones move very little compared to bass frequencies hence a 40 watt guitar amp when used with a guitar produces higher sound pressure levels than it could if used for bass, therefore if it was trying to produce the same sound pressure levels at bass frequencies it would possibly break down.
This is one of the reasons that a live giging Bass amp is usualy in the 300+ watts region.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Well. I've been looking at the G&k backline series since I have a hookup at my guitar center.

Any thoughts on the combos?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
Well. I've been looking at the G&k backline series since I have a hookup at my guitar center.

Any thoughts on the combos?

The backline series doesn't have a good name around here, if I were you I would look at the acoustic b200, it will have just enough wattage to gig an medium size venue and it is a pretty good amp in general.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
I hate my backline...
"And if God is dead what am I,
a fleck of dirt on the wing of a fly
hurtling to earth
through a hole in the sky"
Why so much hate? I thought the sound was pretty good. Although I did enjoy playing on an acoustic B100 1x15 combo.

I'm not going to be playing any serious venues beyond 100 people and thats PUSHING it. Plus that replacement warantee makes me happy.

And I know that you really should have a bass amp and a bass cab, but I really don't have THAT much money.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
No you shouldnt really have to have a head and a cab. thats just a more versatile mix and match, you can get some powerful combos for fairly cheap, ashdown mag 300 for one.

Cheap Gk and cheap ampeg do not produce as good a sound as there more expensive counterparts, and are really just for introduction.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Mar 10, 2009,
True there are some good combos but they only come into their own with an add on cab.
If buying a combo insist that you can connect an add on cab; quite a few do not allow that facility with limits their versatility.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I suppose its what you looking for really, if i had another combo i wuld like to be a single speaker puching all the air, rather than second cab to finish the power.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I think adding a speaker defeats the purpose of a combo. IMO the point of a combo is to bring one box to a gig and play through it, having it do all the work, needing nothing more. If you're going modular, get something with more flexibility and customizability - a half-stack.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I think adding a speaker defeats the purpose of a combo. IMO the point of a combo is to bring one box to a gig and play through it, having it do all the work, needing nothing more. If you're going modular, get something with more flexibility and customizability - a half-stack.

One time i think ill truly agree with the fitz, i think things like the ashdown five 15 are stupid, you only get 75 watts out of the amp with out the extension and then only an extra 30 with.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
So far I'm thinking the acoustic b100 combo with the 1x15"
I'm not looking for any you know... extreme tone. Just a nice powerful bass heavy tone. I don't dig the mid cut crap that too many people these day enjoy doing. I like my mids just the way they are as they come out of the guitar, no need to increase or decrease them what so ever.

Thats my opinion anyway lol.

But as far as the combo goes, I do enjoy just bringing a guitar and ONE other large heavy object with me to a gig. I mean I'm pretty strong and what not, but half stacks are just sometimes ridiculously heavy.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
So far I'm thinking the acoustic b100 combo with the 1x15"
I'm not looking for any you know... extreme tone. Just a nice powerful bass heavy tone. I don't dig the mid cut crap that too many people these day enjoy doing. I like my mids just the way they are as they come out of the guitar, no need to increase or decrease them what so ever.

Thats my opinion anyway lol.

But as far as the combo goes, I do enjoy just bringing a guitar and ONE other large heavy object with me to a gig. I mean I'm pretty strong and what not, but half stacks are just sometimes ridiculously heavy.

If you are playing gigs 100 people you might be pushing it with 100 watts. At my schools battle of the bands all the bassists shared a 100W amp and it had to be mic'd. It does depend on the acoustics of the venue too though. I would go for more so you don't regret it, but if your micing 100W is not a problem.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Mar 10, 2009,
copied from another thread:

Quote by mutant corn
What happens is that the guitar amp's speaker hits something called X-max, meaning it's moved as far as it can and can't go anymore, but the amp is trying to make it go further anyway to reproduce the low frequency, damaging the speaker in the process. The actual amplifier is fine, it's just the speaker that's the problem. You can use a guitar head with a bass cabinet, and it will be just fine.

A bass speaker is designed to move more, so it won't be damaged.
Nope, no sig here.
^ Lol I turned up the bass on a bass amp once and played a low b and watched as the speakers just went insane inside the cab.

Also, my band has a pa system so in that case I think 100 watts is ok.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
So I was thinking about this, and while the speaker movement thing sounds believable, what about guitar effects like the pog and blue box or whammy that duplicate the guitar signal an octave or two down?
There most likely a voice over, playing over the sound of you guitar, so you hear it deeper, but their not forcing the speaker out an in at forcefull movement.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by thefitz
Very true but I have the flexibility, tommorow I will use my combo that has the 'Ashdown Little Giant 1000' (7.7lbs) in the top loaded with a 15" 450 watt Eminence 3015 Kappalite speaker, all this makes a very light and easy to handle unit, but here's the bonus; for larger gigs I have the option of adding a second 15" Neo loaded cab or even a 2x10.

A really decent 300+ watt combo with the add on facility offers the best of both worlds, the main downside of most stand alone high power combos is size and weight. This shot is of my 450 watt self build combo that has now been converted to the spec given above with the old and very heavey 450 watt mosfet amp removed, the 'Little Giant 1000' is lighter than the Ashdown pre-amp alone that once occupied its place.

Ashdown RPM1 John Entwistle Pre-amp for sale.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Mutant Corn
copied from another thread:
There are several ways that bass through the wrong speaker can cause damage, so it's not worth the risk.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
^ best response in this thread.
Pain is an illusion.