Al right, so some time ago I realized something, there are many, many, maaany pedals out there from earlier times that are pretty awesome in my opinion and yet can be had dirt cheap because they just kinda slipped through the cracks with no one noticing.

Usually these pedals are from the 80s and early 90s so when mass production really took off and therefore people started treating pedals as disposable. Hence not a lot of pedals from this era really got that "vintage" status that a lot fo pedals have, even if they are 20+ years old.

An example if this is the digitech ips 33b. Its basically a harmonizer/whammy that came out alongside the original whammy (and shares the same chip!). This pedal is pretty much the closest (if not identical) thing to an original wh-1 whammy, and yet it is pretty much unknown (also it can do a million other things the whammy cant, including a midi arpegiattor and an intelligent harmonizer. btw:its not a pedal its a rack unit but i like to call it pedal just cause.

Anyway, this pedal can be found on ebay, and when they DO get sold which isnt always, it usually goes for 150-250, as opposed to the 500-600 that a wh-1 whammy goes for.

Anyways, my promo piece is over and now i'd like to know if you know of any other such pedals that are amazing but have been forgotten nonetheless (resulting in awesome ebay deals!!).
Last edited by rnelson at Mar 9, 2009,
i love my 1983 green label (japan) BOSS CE-2 Chorus give me that perfect early metallica clean tone on my Carvin mts's clean channel, wich is amazing
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by 7stringuzr
The Boss Heavy Metal. Its from 1980 something. I kinda want one.

The HM-3? I got one of those for like 20 euros, it's not that great though... It gives you a fairly decent Black Sabbath tone though :p.
Yamaha RGX 520FZ
Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
Boss CH1 super chorus
Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
i love my 1983 green label (japan) BOSS CE-2 Chorus give me that perfect early metallica clean tone on my Carvin mts's clean channel, wich is amazing
Yup. I've got a black label Japanese Boss CE-2. Thick, lush deep sounding chorus. Pawn shop find for $40
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Ibanez WH-10
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
The Boss SP-1 is really expensive (I've seen them go for 500-600$ on Ebay). But most old Boss pedals are pretty good sounding and don't cost a fortune.
Pearl OD-5. Sounds just like a vintage Ts808 but with an EQ to dial in more bass if wanted. And it cost like 50 bucks, instead of 500.
Quote by SY22
Pearl OD-5. Sounds just like a vintage Ts808 but with an EQ to dial in more bass if wanted. And it cost like 50 bucks, instead of 500.

sounds interesting, definately gonna check it out!

Quote by The Master Plan
Ibanez WH-10

f*** yeah...

(except its going for RIDICULOUS prices nowadays)

Cool ideas guys, keep 'em coming if you have 'em, god knows most of us are relatively poor, hence the importance of these forgotten pedals.

I just thought of another one. Old rat pedals (not sure if 70s or 80s) they kick ass compared to the newer ones and can be had for like $50 bucks.
Quote by Van Noord
Yup. I've got a black label Japanese Boss CE-2. Thick, lush deep sounding chorus. Pawn shop find for $40

Hehe i got you beat, 5 bucks at a yard sale
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
Hehe i got you beat, 5 bucks at a yard sale
That's crazy. Nice score!
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
lots of old DOD's (the distortions before they were bought out by digitech) (corporate bastards)
Oh Hey look at my signature
well the digitech DF-7 is new and it goes used for about 40-50 dollars, just as good as line 6 if not better distortion, and way way better than boss.
I miss my 80s Ibanez Phaser (PT-9), I had to sell it off with most of my other gear a few years ago.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by IbanezPsycho
My favorites are MIJ Boss and Ibanez pedals... Great tone and well worth the effort to seek them out.

Ibanez PDS1 for sale, PM me.

shameless plug is shameless
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by chiliwillifreak
Digitech Space Station, would love one.

I second this, however the Space Station has sort of developed a following that has driven up prices. There are many who consider it a valuable vintage pedal already, and those who don't will probably follow suit in the next year or so.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
My brothers roomate had a really old Boss BF-2 Flanger, pic in profile if you care.

Sadly it is the Taiwanese, not the Japanese version but oh well got it for 50 bucks.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
theres 2 or 3 Boss heavy metals in music stores/pawn shops in my area
are Digitech space stations expensive?
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Do you guys know of any phasers that fit into this? I want a good cheap flanger that can do psychedelic and rock sort of things.

Just got a DOD FX75C Flanger off ebay for $25. Idk about how old they are, or if they are vintage, but they get nice tone that doesn't sound just like an airplane like every other flanger does.
Boss HM-2s are my favourite distortion pedal, I want one.

Also the Boss RDD-10. It's a little delay/chorus/flanger half rack that I used to own and love until it got stolen.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by rnelson
sounds interesting, definately gonna check it out!

f*** yeah...

(except its going for RIDICULOUS prices nowadays)

Cool ideas guys, keep 'em coming if you have 'em, god knows most of us are relatively poor, hence the importance of these forgotten pedals.

I just thought of another one. Old rat pedals (not sure if 70s or 80s) they kick ass compared to the newer ones and can be had for like $50 bucks.

Yeah, but expect the prices to go down, because finally a boutique pedal builder released a clone of the WH-10 the wilson ten spot II.
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Quote by shadow__666
Boss HM-2s are my favourite distortion pedal, I want one.

Also the Boss RDD-10. It's a little delay/chorus/flanger half rack that I used to own and love until it got stolen.

+1, I'm seriously GASing for one. I tried one out the other day and its miles ahead of my DS-1
Anything DOD.

Boss HM-2's, PS-2's, RV-2's, DF-2's, HR-2's, BF-2's, etc.

Ibanez Soundtank pedals,

Digitech PDS's, RDS's

etc. etc.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by The Master Plan
Yeah, but expect the prices to go down, because finally a boutique pedal builder released a clone of the WH-10 the wilson ten spot II.

I've already got the ten spot I ...its a clone of the wh10 black version instead of the grey version. Essentially they sound the same, except the grey one has a volume boost as you move the wah towards open (tow down) position. I actually prefer to not have that volume boost so it works out great for me,

EDIT: I really hope you're right but if there's something I've learned about gear hounds is that fanboys are stubborn as hell. (I know because I'm a bit of a frusciante fanboy myself 'cept I'd NEVER pay more for a pedal than the price its quality deserves)
Last edited by rnelson at Mar 10, 2009,
i LOVE my early 80's Boss CE-3 chorus. So warm and organic. It's really beat up but it's never ceased to operate or act strange. Snagged it for $30 on Craigslist. A lot of people desire the CE-2 but its the exact same thing with one very minor chip difference (i forgot exactly what it was, apparently it makes it sound a tiny bit more "metallic").

I would love an old Boss DM-2 or whatever for an analog delay, but unfortunately ive decided against it. I'm going to have to get a newer digital delay. I've always been anti-digital but tap tempo is a must for me in delay.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Quote by injected
I would love an old Boss DM-2 or whatever for an analog delay, but unfortunately ive decided against it. I'm going to have to get a newer digital delay. I've always been anti-digital but tap tempo is a must for me in delay.

I've got a dm-3. it's got an amazing sound. Coolest thing though, is that I got it off of a classmate who was trying to sell all his guitar stuff fast. I really dont think he was that much into gear because he kinda had sh**y pedals for the most part, and when he sold it to me he was like, "dude I've got this delay pedal if you want it, its really old but it works", he sent me a pic and I was like "OMFG this PeDal is Teh RoXORS!", and he's like "whatever I'll sell it to you for 10 bucks. me =

I've thought about selling it so many times, simply because it would mean like a $150 dollar profit, but it just sounds too good to give it up.
Quote by rnelson
I've already got the ten spot I ...its a clone of the wh10 black version instead of the grey version. Essentially they sound the same, except the grey one has a volume boost as you move the wah towards open (tow down) position. I actually prefer to not have that volume boost so it works out great for me,

EDIT: I really hope you're right but if there's something I've learned about gear hounds is that fanboys are stubborn as hell. (I know because I'm a bit of a frusciante fanboy myself 'cept I'd NEVER pay more for a pedal than the price its quality deserves)

How do you like it?
Amp:
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3