Hey, I am having difficulty playing the major barre chord that has its root on the 5th string. My third finger hurts so badly, will the skin on that finger eventually toughen up so it doesn't hurt anymore? By the way, my third finger is completely flat across the 3 strings it's barring. Is that correct to do that?
I do that! Some people cringe at it but it lets me play fast and clear. As long as you leave the e string to the first finger I see no problem. How long have you been playing? Have you tried making the 'correct' A shape using all fingers? Best of all is if you can do both at will. Playing Cream's Cociane almost requires you play that way.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
I do that! Some people cringe at it but it lets me play fast and clear. As long as you leave the e string to the first finger I see no problem. How long have you been playing? Have you tried making the 'correct' A shape using all fingers? Best of all is if you can do both at will. Playing Cream's Cociane almost requires you play that way.

I've been playing again for about 3-4 months. No I don't know the correct A shape with all fingers, can you show me it?
Your fingers will toughen up, but you might be putting more pressure on than you need to, which will make your finger hurt more. Might be worth relaxing a bit and see how much pressure you actually need to put on to sound all the notes cleanly. Don't worry though - it will get easier
Quote by GuitaringMike
thats the way i usually play them and yes the skin will toughen up after a while youve just got to barre with it until then