Hi everyone,
I'm asking what gear will suit the best for power metal (kessier hsu, herman li,...), Thinking of buying a total new gear for it.

- Guitar? Budget: 400$
- Pickups? Budget: 200$
- Amp? for practice and recording only Budget:300$

Thanks.
Guitar: Ibanez RG series or a Schecter

Pickups: Have the stock and give these $200 for a better guitar or amp

Amp: Peavey Valveking
Quote by MetalMan-93
Guitar: Ibanez RG series or a Schecter

Pickups: Have the stock and give these $200 for a better guitar or amp

Amp: Peavey Valveking

He doesn't have to buy a new guitar if he has a good one in stock in his closet. He can instead spend every penny for a better amp

Good choice anyway
Quote by rocker313
strat copy

What strat copy exactly? If it is, say, a Yamaha Pacifica or a relatively good Squier, you wouldn't necessarily need a new one.
Quote by TheQuailman
What strat copy exactly? If it is, say, a Yamaha Pacifica or a relatively good Squier, you wouldn't necessarily need a new one.

Neither squier nor yamaha, it's called MEG i bought it for 190$.
Iron Maiden and Yngwie use strats quite effectively for heavy metal, so no real problems with that. I think you should just combine your separate budgets into one lump sum and go amp shopping. There is a lot you can do amp-wise for $900.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Yes, honestly, an amp will do more than the guitars+pickups combined

Just focus your funds and get an awesome amp!
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
^What these guys said.

Unless there are problems with your current guitar, I'd advise you to keep it.

I think you should take a look at a Peavey Classic 30 and a good booster pedal to kick it into heavier distortion.
An amp for practice and recording is screaming Roland Cube to me. The 30 or 60 should e right, price-wise. $500+ will get you a decent guitar from the mentioned ranges or from Cort (Avoid their own pickups and EMG passives).
I'd say that is a better alternative to upgrading a poor guitar so unless the one you have is really good, replace it.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Khoifish321
Yes, honestly, an amp will do more than the guitars+pickups combined

Just focus your funds and get an awesome amp!

I don't think my MEG guitar pickups can do well with hi-gain amp.
Quote by rocker313
I don't think my MEG guitar pickups can do well with hi-gain amp.

The only thing to worry about concerning pickups is the bridge one. If it is a single coil, consider replacing it with a single sized humbucker like a Duncan Hot Rails, which works pretty well for high-gain sounds, even though it doesn't sound exactly like a normal sized humbucker.
Quote by TheQuailman
^What these guys said.

Unless there are problems with your current guitar, I'd advise you to keep it.

I think you should take a look at a Peavey Classic 30 and a good booster pedal to kick it into heavier distortion.

I think about pickups because i want to get the clarity of pickups like dimarzio air Norton or tone zone, i don't know if it depends mostly from the amp?
f i think about a good amp, i think peavey classic is a little pricy for what it is, maybe a B52 AT-112 60watt sounds better?
Last edited by rocker313 at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by rocker313
I think about pickups because i want to get the clarity of pickups like dimarzio air Norton or tone zone, i don't know if it depends mostly from the amp?
f i think about a good amp, i think peavey classic is a little pricy for what it is, maybe a B52 AT-112 60watt sounds better?

No ideas about amp for power metal?
Quote by saltysnail

This one sounds to be cool, 60W tube amp sounds frightening
But what can i get from it more than an "Ibanez TBX30R Tone Blaster":
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TBX30R-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480943: Just a question about the difference in the quality?
For the Guitar get a LTD Alexi-200.

Amp...for that range Peavey Vypyr 75 or 30.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car