Black
12 41%
Cream
12 41%
White
5 17%
Voters: 29.
Hello guys,

After a few great show with my Ibanez RGA121 I decided to give it a treat and change the "not-so-good" stock Ibanez pickups. Naturally my question is , what pickups?

I play in a 'progressive metalcore band' , if you don't have a clue how that should sound, think : Between the buried and me, The Eyes Of A Traitor.

So I want a pretty hot pickup in the bridge position, and a pickup that can give me smooth leads en decent cleans in the neck position. I also like to have a more low-end heavy pickup, I'm not so found of high trebly sounds. My guitar is tuned to Drop C.
I really love the tone of Paul Wagonner :
Youtube link
But also Paul Gilberts lead tone from his latest solo albums.

Well , I narrowed it down to a few choices, mainly passive Dimarzio pickups. But I'm also open for other suggestions from big brand pickup manufacturers. :
Bridge:
-Dimarzio Tone Zone DP155
-Dimarzio D-Sonic DP207
-Dimarzio Super Distortion
Neck:
-Dimarzio Air Norton
-Dimarzio Breed Neck

But then there is another question, what color to pick them in?
Again I narrowed it down to 3 Choices: Black , Cream and White.

Thanks

Tom
Orange Enthousiast.
I was thinking max 170 euros for the 2 of them without installation costs, and availability is also important, so that my local guitar shop can order them for me.
Orange Enthousiast.
i think the creme would be great. and you could get the air norton in half creme and half black and put it in the neck. that looks really cool with a solid creme bridge pup.
I would go for a Tone Zone in the bridge and a Breed in the neck. In either black or creme.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Okay, I'm now leaning towards a Tone Zone/Air Norton Combo , does anyone have experience with it ? I would like to know how the tone zone compares gainwise with EMG81 or SD blackout active pickups.
Orange Enthousiast.
Quote by TTC
Okay, I'm now leaning towards a Tone Zone/Air Norton Combo , does anyone have experience with it ? I would like to know how the tone zone compares gainwise with EMG81 or SD blackout active pickups.

Terrible idea, the Tone Zone will be muddy in mahogany and it's not great for lower tunings because there's so much going on tonally. Likewise the Air Norton is kind of dense sounding so again not a great idea for mahogany.

D-Sonic bridge, Breed neck is what you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
But the graphs also show that the D-sonic is pretty bass-heavy, how come that won't sound muddy?
Orange Enthousiast.
The ceramic magnet on the D sonic is non conductive which means it doesn't distort the low end and make it muddy. The tonezone has an alnico magnet which is conductive and so when you downtune it can cause the lower notes to distort and sound muddy.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by TTC
But the graphs also show that the D-sonic is pretty bass-heavy, how come that won't sound muddy?

The graphs mean sod all - i've used the Tone Zone and trust me, it's not remotely suited for what you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^the graphs are what you get when you trust lab equipment instead of your ear.
Not taking any online orders.
i love dimarzion therefore i can only recommend the D Sonic in the bridge. And either the air norton or evo in the neck.
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
So far I'm going for a D-Sonic/Breed thing then, any other good pickups I should look into ( maybe SDs) ?
Orange Enthousiast.