This is a Finnish song. I just finished the lyrics last week. I can post them if there are some Finnish people interested. My girlfriend cried when she heard them.

So the name of the song in English is something like "Evacuee Folk" or something like that. It's about the end of WW2 in northern Finland. The soldiers of Germany pulled back and burned all the houses as they went. Yeah...

It's a song divided to three parts. First there are the two verses, then the solo part and then the acoustic ending part.
Attachments:
evakkovaki.zip
Last edited by January85 at Mar 26, 2009,
Wow, that was awesome. It was so ... Finnish . The melodies were all great and the vocal melody was very nice. That melody in "Interlude" was beautiful. "Break" was very interesting. Didn't really like "Riff B" that much, but that's just me - I don't really like dissonance. The solo was awesome. The soft bit towards the end of the song was great, really beautiful ...

The bass was a little dull but it fitted well and served its purpose fine. The drums worked perfectly and contributed a lot without distracting you from the guitars.

C4C? Link in sig.

Quote by January85
My girlfriend cried when he heard them.

Something you're not telling us?
Quote by Malakian88
"Break" was very interesting.

Something you're not telling us?

Haha, lemme tell you a secret. That Break at 70 serves the sole purpose of getting the song back to E-minor. You might've noticed but at 30 (chorus) the song jumps from Em to Cm.

But I like the riff, it's great.

Oh, and something I'm not telling you is that we lived there. I'm 23 so my grandpa used to tell me stories about war and grandma about how they had to flee to Sweden when the German soldiers passed by. So it's kind of a... subject she can relate to.

I'm making this whole record about my home town. There are a total of 7 songs and this one's the opener. I've got one other song almost finished (some bg guitars missing) and others have some nice riffs.

When I make songs, it's just a ton of riffs. I think this one's got about 20 different riffs (with one guitar). The others are quite similar.
intro- fairly interesting riff. like it, but i think the drums could be better.
riff A- woow, man that is awesome! really headbangin', haha. want more!
main riff- this riff is fairly generic to be honest, but as long as the vocals keep it interesting, it could be ok i suppose.
verse 1- same as above ^
chorus- thats more like it. really good.
interlude- great harmonies, like it a lot. not much more to say than that : )
break- ooh tension is building.... then you let it down by putting the fairly mediocre in there (my opinion of course) i think yuo should have put Riff A in there instead (bar 78)
Osa2- interesting...
Riff B- nice, kind of reminds me of James Bond theme tune, haha. Nice solo afterward too.
Riff D is fantastic. the drums go well with it, i love it.
i think this would be a better outro, much more thoughtful than your current outro.

i think that in some places where you have a new riff, it would be more effective to have a nice riff youved already played once. Why make so many riffs when you already have a few great ones? i think a little is a lot in this situation.
but still, fantastic, song. Awesome. good job, my friend.
C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1084725
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Very Finnish sounding. :3

Quite a lot of variety in the song, and sounds like it possesses some varying moods. The first part of the song sounds a bit more epic and thematic, almost power metal. The latter part of the song is sadder, and bars 160 onward pull my heartstrings. The outro solo is beautiful, and you make great use of harmonization.

The break at 70, whether to transition back to E minor or not, sounds militaristic and fits the theme song well.

Lol, the rhythm guitar for the solo at bar 126 reminds me of something out of James Bond.
EDIT: DAMMIT, BEATEN TO IT! D:<

I'd ask for a copy of the lyrics, only I haven't got even the slightest knowledge with Finnish.
Ah well, great song. It's a journey from beginning to end and I'd love to hear it recorded.

C4C?
Last edited by AA00P at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by Jake the Peg
main riff- this riff is fairly generic to be honest, but as long as the vocals keep it interesting, it could be ok i suppose.
verse 1- same as above ^
break- ooh tension is building.... then you let it down by putting the fairly mediocre in there (my opinion of course)
Riff B- nice, kind of reminds me of James Bond theme tune, haha. Nice solo afterward too.
Riff D is fantastic. the drums go well with it, i love it.
i think this would be a better outro, much more thoughtful than your current outro.

i think that in some places where you have a new riff, it would be more effective to have a nice riff youved already played once. Why make so many riffs when you already have a few great ones? i think a little is a lot in this situation.
but still, fantastic, song. Awesome. good job, my friend.

Thanks for the praises. o_O

I love making riffs and though I think you have a point "less is more", I feel that every riff make this song what it is.

About the main riff, there's not vocals over it, it's just that. And I'm a little surprised that you didn't like it, because in my opinion it's the best thing in Osa1 (Part 1 in Finnish). The Verses in part1 are meant to be very plain and simple. They let the vocals come thru and it's easier to make some heavier stuff after those.

James Bond riff, yeah. I don't know really how I came up with that, but it was so awesome I had to put it in there. Actually that first riff in Part 2 was made after I integrated the james bond riff there.

I'm really surprised that no one has said anything about Riff C. :O That's like the best thing there in my opinion.

About the outro... others like that, like the next guy said.

Thanks a lot.

Quote by AA00P
Very Finnish sounding. :3

Quite a lot of variety in the song, and sounds like it possesses some varying moods. The first part of the song sounds a bit more epic and thematic, almost power metal. The latter part of the song is sadder, and bars 160 onward pull my heartstrings. The outro solo is beautiful, and you make great use of harmonization.

Wow! What makes this song sound so Finnish? I have no idea.

The three parts are:
1. The people are leaving the village and going to look for shelter in our neighbour country.
2. The soldiers come and burn down everything.
3. The people return to their burnt village and try to start picking up the pieces.

Oh, harmonization... gotta love that. Have I listened too much Iron Maiden? I use that stuff A LOT.

Quote by AA00P
The break at 70, whether to transition back to E minor or not, sounds militaristic and fits the theme song well.

Lol, the rhythm guitar for the solo at bar 126 reminds me of something out of James Bond.
EDIT: DAMMIT, BEATEN TO IT! D:<

I'd ask for a copy of the lyrics, only I haven't got even the slightest knowledge with Finnish.
Ah well, great song. It's a journey from beginning to end and I'd love to hear it recorded.

Yeah well, even if I use some riffs only as building blocks, I still try to make them the best I can. What sounds the best to my ears. That Break was a nice solution imo.

Maybe I should've done this song about James Bond burning down the village. o_O

I can try to translate the lyrics in English... it's not the same thing of course, but they give you the idea.

Thanks for your comments. I gotta try and give you mine when I have the time. I really appreciate it.
Last edited by January85 at Mar 11, 2009,
Can't be arsed doing a full crit, but I'll just say I loved how unexpected some of the chord changes were.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
^
^
It sounds Finnish in that there are parts that remind me of Ensiferum. That sort of epic power metalish feeling. XD
Also, a few of the runs on the guitar solo vaguely remind me of that pentatonic-y Children of Bodom. Idk lol.

I'd like to get the gist of the song, so a roughly translated version of the lyrics would be great. It's an interesting and refreshing lyrical concept.

Thanks, I look forward to your critique of my song. Hardly as epic as yours, lol, but I like it.
Ooh, Children of Bodom. Had my fair share of 'em at high school. But seriously speaking, Laiho is a kick-ass guitarist.

Ok, I try to translate the lyrics. Here are the Finnish ones:

EVAKKOVÄKI

Laakson laitaa, tuolta puolen
saapuu kulkue.
Harmaa varjo kumaran kansan;
sodan seppele.

Itkun täyteinen on lokakuu.
Mistä löytäisi suojan huomiseen?
Kuka valehteli meille? Mistä tuli tuo
rautainen nyrkki joka ruoskii maatamme?

Kylmyys syksyn ei sisintä kalva
silti sydän jo kalpenee.
Jumalan armo venettä kantaa
yli ihmisten kaunojen.

Läpi aaltojen
kohti rantaa viimeisen toivon.
Kun tuli saapuu pitäjään hiljaiseen.

Koti, poltettu maa, kivi on tämän haudan.
Savu tanssien käy yli raunioiden.
Kuollut autiomaa, merkki ontuvan rauhan.
Henget poikaimme käyvät lepäämään.

Pyyhi pois kyyneleet
Aika on elämän. Elämän!

----------

And the translation:

From the other side of the valley
Arrives a crowd (a procession of people)
Grey shadow of bent people (as a nation);
Wreath of the war.

October is full of weeping
Where to find a shelter for tomorrow?
Who lied to us? Where came that
Iron fist that lashes our country?

(measure 86)
The coldness of autumn doesn't corrode the inside
But still the heart grows pale.
The mercy of God carries the boat
Over people's grudges.

Through the waves
Towards the shore of the last hope.
When the fire arrives to this quiet town.

(measure 176)
Home, burned land, is the stone of this grave.
Dancing passes the smoke over the ruins.
Dead wasteland, sign of a limping peace.
The spirits of out sons lay to rest.

Wipe away the tears.
Now it's time for life. For life!

----

Or something like that. I'm pretty bad with the prepositions... and everything else too.
Last edited by January85 at Mar 11, 2009,
Sorrowful, but with a tinge of hope at the very end. I like it!
Wow, this is awesome. I realy don't know what else to say, but i'll try.

It is obviously very well constructed, and nicely polished. I love all of the melodies, which flow together really well, but i especially love that run down at the end of the solo and the break section it joins to. It adds a nice bit of contrast.

The new section, (Osa 2,) was not as strong as the other sections i think (It was still very good, it just seemed a tiny bit out of place with the time changes and whatnot). The solo was the high point of that.

The transition into osa 3 was fatastic, and that whole section was great too.

I loved it.

If you could, check out one of the songs in my sig please. You'd probably be more interested in Polka or Folk metal.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Wow, this is awesome. I realy don't know what else to say, but i'll try.

It is obviously very well constructed, and nicely polished. I love all of the melodies, which flow together really well, but i especially love that run down at the end of the solo and the break section it joins to. It adds a nice bit of contrast.

The new section, (Osa 2,) was not as strong as the other sections i think (It was still very good, it just seemed a tiny bit out of place with the time changes and whatnot). The solo was the high point of that.

The transition into osa 3 was fatastic, and that whole section was great too.

I loved it.

If you could, check out one of the songs in my sig please. You'd probably be more interested in Polka or Folk metal.

Thanks man!
I should really listen your songs more, coz you people are really awesome.

I think I got the influence of those time changes from this Rush song called Losing It. That 5/8 (@144) and then 6/8 is a concept taken straight from there and I LOVE IT. It sort of gathers everything together and then that 6/8 slows it down and makes room for the next section. Just brilliant.

I'd like to hear more of your opinions about the solo. Everyone seems to like it (and so do I), but what's so great about it? I love doing solos with gp5... they just seem to appear there. It's amazing.
Quote by January85
My girlfriend cried when he heard them.

ootas hetki, sun tyttöystäväs on jätkä?

I liked the song very much. Reminds me of Lapland. My grandma fled to Sweden during the war. When they came back their house was burned down.
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
First of all, I don't think that you're allowed to post this many threads at once, there is a two per week limit as I'm informed - Just as a reminder.

I listened to about 4 of your songs, I liked all of them, it was noticeable that they came from one writer, they had a certain style, good to see that developing.

I'm not huge on criting GP files because stuff like palm mutes, harmonics and dynamics don't shine or can sound completley different when played in RL but you've got something going there.

Have you ever played your material live?
Loistavaa matskua! Itseasiassa tykkäsin joka kohdasta paitsi ekasta ja Riff-A:sta. Biisissä on todella hienot laulu melodiatkin. Harmonioista tuli kyllä Maideni mieleen. Tuosta soolosta tuli mieleen vähän Megadethin Hangar 18:sta-soolo, siis hyvällä tavalla Savuava Maa-kohta on biisin huippuhetkiä. Siis ei mitään muuta valittamista kuin että keksi biisille parempi avaus riffi -9/10-

Katsoisitko yhden minun biisin ?C4C?-> https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1095142
Gear

Schecter Hellraiser C-1
ENGL Thunder 50 E322
Blackstar HT-50
Framus 2x12 Cab
Yamaha HS50M

Founder of Opeth Fans Group
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
First of all, I don't think that you're allowed to post this many threads at once, there is a two per week limit as I'm informed - Just as a reminder.

'Haaa, okay. My bad.

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
I listened to about 4 of your songs, I liked all of them, it was noticeable that they came from one writer, they had a certain style, good to see that developing.

I'm not huge on criting GP files because stuff like palm mutes, harmonics and dynamics don't shine or can sound completley different when played in RL but you've got something going there.

Have you ever played your material live?

I have been working with Guitar Pro like umm... 8 years now. Not sure really. The first one I tried was... 2.3 I guess. So yeah, I've developed my own style of making those files... soundwise. I do have some different type of songs too, with synths and pianos and stuff, but they're not my main interest.

I haven't played these live, because I'm just learning to even play them. My skills haven't ever been even near enough for me to play this kinda stuff... but it won't take long anymore.

Quote by Hypetreme
Loistavaa matskua! Itseasiassa tykkäsin joka kohdasta paitsi ekasta ja Riff-A:sta. Biisissä on todella hienot laulu melodiatkin. Harmonioista tuli kyllä Maideni mieleen. Tuosta soolosta tuli mieleen vähän Megadethin Hangar 18:sta-soolo, siis hyvällä tavalla Savuava Maa-kohta on biisin huippuhetkiä. Siis ei mitään muuta valittamista kuin että keksi biisille parempi avaus riffi -9/10-

Katsoisitko yhden minun biisin ?C4C?-> https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1095142

Kiitti, pitääpä tsekata toi biisi.

Noi avausriffit on tosiaan aika erilaisia kaiken muun kanssa tossa biisissä, taisin tehä ne jotain vuotta ennen ku ees siirryin tekemään tota main riffiä. Eli hiukan oli rakoa siinä. En ala sitä muuttamaan, koska se on mielestäni persoonallinen. Selvästikin jotkut muutkin siitä myös tykkäävät.

Kyllähän tuolta kaikki Maidenit, Megadethit, Ru**** ja DT:t paistaa selvästi läpi. Mutta omasta mielestä se on hyvä vaan.
This song is simply amazing. Riffs-galore, insane harmanization, epic metal feel, and a slow/epic ending that pulls on the very soul of the listener, this song gave me goose bumps. Makes me want to hear the rest of your works. Keep up the good work.
O_o
Thanks a lot. I just thank God that I've been able to give a form to these songs. I love listening them even by myself... and that's my standard. If I don't like listening what I've written, then it needs to be changed.