All you have to do is just say things that you think that will improve guitar progess like songs, instruments, and etc.

I'll start!

From personally experience, I think that playing a Acoustic guitar helps a lot with speed and overall guitar progress.

I also would recommend that you pick up a GripMaster. Reason why I say pick up one is because these strengthening your fingers when you are away from your guitar like at your job or school. I personally use these BTW.

Last, I would recommend getting a Jazz guitar teacher! They teach use how to sight read, improvise, write songs, and teach guitar theory. Invest into a guitar teacher!

NOTE:
Please don't spam this thread because there are people looking for tips and advice on guitar so that because it isn't important to you doesn't mean it isn't to everyone. In other words, don't be selfish.
Last edited by The Arsis at Mar 9, 2009,
Wow, reading this i think i should get a Jazz guitar teacher rather then a Rock as they might be more knowledable and as theroy is basicly apart of jazz

Now my tip

When learning songs use a metronome and play it slow but accuratly and then slowly build up the speed of the song with the metronome. Basiclly, Its better to learn a song slow then full speed
I personally would advise AGAINST the grip master thing. I dont think it can help guitar very much at all. The motion used is not even the same used while playing guitar. You dont need to have super strong fingers to play guitar, they just need to be strong enough, which you will get from normal practice.

I agree 100% on the jazz teacher thing.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by bean-o
I personally would advise AGAINST the grip master thing. I dont think it can help guitar very much at all. The motion used is not even the same used while playing guitar. You dont need to have super strong fingers to play guitar, they just need to be strong enough, which you will get from normal practice.

I agree 100% on the jazz teacher thing.

I disagree on that because it strengthening individual fingers plus it helps build callouses on finger tips if you use it properly. IMHO, I think you need strong hands to play acoustic guitar fast and clean and electric. In strong, i don't mean veiny giant hands or anything. I guess, the use of Gripmaster is has subjective opinion on guitar playing?

I like to more tips!

I think a practice routine could help you progress. I recommend that you don't do practice routines every single day because it will get boring after a while. You should have a day for the routine and a day for playing whatever you want. It is the perfect balance of discipline and freedom.
Since I have seen 8 year old girls play acoustic guitar better than me, I don't think working on strong hands should be the way to improve your playing. Stuff like barre chords is more technique than strength... or at least it should be. I think
No, bean-o is right, the grip-master will actually hinder your guitar playing. When playing guitar we rely on muscle memory to do what we need to do. Using the grip-master will cause some of that muscle memory to fade away and newly learned muscle memory to go away entirely.
ok, guess it isn't a good idea to use the GM.

Do you guys have any tips or ideas that can help other guitarists?
well i guess it depends on wat you want to do, do you want to play guitar and just learn songs, or actually learn how to be a musician, in that case i recommend that you get a good teacher, because learning on your own will just make you process longer and theory can be confusing, i`d also recommend picking up a instrument with a friend , just makes it more enjoyable and you can make stupid guitar jokes like dimebuckerz ftw lol!!111 yea thats my two cents
I got one.
Don't hang out on UG making threads with self-important titles like "The _______ Thread".
Just practice, set a goal and figure out how to get there.
Example: Wanna write your own music? Learn some licks in the style you want to play to get used to it. Learn some theory. Develop your ear (ear training).
Quote by _Sanitarium_
I got one.
Don't hang out on UG making threads with self-important titles like "The _______ Thread".
Just practice, set a goal and figure out how to get there.
Example: Wanna write your own music? Learn some licks in the style you want to play to get used to it. Learn some theory. Develop your ear (ear training).

Don't be a smartass.
Quote by The Arsis
Last, I would recommend getting a Jazz guitar teacher! They teach use how to sight read, improvise, write songs, and teach guitar theory. Invest into a guitar teacher

My teacher learns me how to sight read, improvise, write songs, and teaches guitar theory and he hates jazz. Should I find a other teacher?
Get a teacher, play acoustic for massive finger strength boost, and practice at least a solid hour a day.
If only I did those things.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by WtrPlyr
My teacher learns me how to sight read, improvise, write songs, and teaches guitar theory and he hates jazz. Should I find a other teacher?

He, unfortunately, doesn't seem to have 'taught' you anything. Especially regarding the correct use of English...
Quote by WtrPlyr

Your guitar teacher hates Jazz? enough said. Get a new one.

Every single respectable musician should respect Jazz. Not like liking it is one thing but hating it is another. Plus, I rather be getting taught guitar from a person that is a accomplished player in one of the most technical genres of music in the world than a normal guitar teacher that hates jazz.
Last edited by The Arsis at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by Mazzakazza
He, unfortunately, doesn't seem to have 'taught' you anything. Especially regarding the correct use of English...

You can actually learn someone how to do something.
Quote by Mazzakazza

I command you to look at his location.
Its the Nederlands you douche. English is his second language.
it's all coming back

Also, Steve Vai's 10 Hour Workout.
it's all coming back

Go to a swiming pool and do some laps. go workout, and then go and practice like 5-7 hours a day. if u cant practice for 7 hours, pratice for however long you can.
Quote by voleurz
stick it in the butt and pee
learn teh modez!!!1!11!
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
practice and learn scales in different positions and learn what each note is according to what fret your using, these two alone will help anyone progress further.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
All depends on the style you're gonna play.

Blues - no one can teach it to you. You have to learn it yourself.
Jazz - 9 times out of 10, get a teacher
Punk - Learn your power chords
Classic Rock - Combine Blues with more distortion and blistering guitar solos
Metal - Learn to do sweep picking and anyone will think you're metal.
Classical - Get a teacher, or be Andres Segovia (STILL THE MAESTRO)

However, for any of these styles, you need to practice, practice, practice and oh yeah did I mention? PRACTICE

I play Blues, some Jazz (not too much) and Classic Rock and I've been completely self-taught.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6