Page 1 of 2
i know you are probably sick of this question by now but im going to ask it anyway.
Im doing a critical reserach study for my media A2 subject and just wanted to know whether or not you felt that music videos influenced crime in anyway.

i would love it if you could back up statements with reseources or case studies, but personal viws are still very welcome.

In advance, Thanks.
Last edited by bigshoes= at Apr 19, 2009,
I mean sure it has. Charles Manson? That Marelyn Manson school shooting thing, but let it be known that anyone who is influenced by music to go out and kill someone generally has some kind of deep emotional problem already and probably would have went out and committed the crime regardless of if there was music or not. A perfectly sane person won't hear a song and then decide to go kill someone or rob someone. Its usually the parents who refuse to take responsibility for their kids' actions that blame music and television for their kids doing fucked up shit.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
I would be inclined to say no, but funnily enough, crime influences a lot of music. Well, good music at least
RULE BRITANNIA
Music only influences those prone to violent dispositions and criminal intent, normal people see it as entertainment.
I listened to "Think about it" by flight of the conchords the other day. From now on I always stop to see if people are dead on the street.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I'm sure it has in some instances.

EDIT: I've listened to music while driving that caused me to speed... I'm a criminal under the influence of METAL.
Last edited by JDawg at Mar 9, 2009,
Not the music itself but I could see how some kids looking up to certain artists as rolemodels might be influenced. however, this influence would not be strong enough to make someone commit a crime in the absence of other factors such as problems at home.
When I listen to Pantera or something like that I do get really hyperactive but I don't really think it could influence someone's actions
Quote by sadistic_monkey

I suggest you construct a space station the size of a moon, and destroy their home planet.

Quote by Wratheh
Grab a lighter and light it by your ass while farting. That's how you flame someone.
I find it more the other way. Music is more violent now because people are more violent now. Music is more pissed off and angsty because that's the why life is now. I think culture changes pop culture.
Whatever happened to sweet Jane?
Quote by Kensai
I listened to "Think about it" by flight of the conchords the other day. From now on I always stop to see if people are dead on the street.

I love you.
Music dosn't influence crime. Neither does TV or anything like that, it's the bad people who commit the crimes fault and the blame lies with them. If you say 'i shot this man cus i heard a song about shooting people' that dosn't mean the music was at fault, that means the person who did it is at fault. If that's the case then if anything they're more of a risk since it means they arn't in control of their own minds anyway and thus should be kept in a mental home till they've sorted themselves out, if ever.

Music is only a reflection of reality, if you don't like the music then change the reality so people won't need to write songs about shootings and drugs and stuff. I listen to 'folsom prison blues' by johnny cash fairly often recently as it's one of my favourite songs but i won't shoot a man in reno now will i
Yes, I pretty much tend to do whatever something that comes out of speakers tells me, only way to ensure I'm cool see
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
A tout le monde influenced a person into doing a schoolshooting.

Even though it did not have intentional suicidal meanings, it influenced the schoolshooting.

SOME music might influence crime, I guess.
DeVillains!
Theres no aspect of life that music dosent influence, its a massive part of everyones life
I Won't Let This Build Up Inside Of Me

Quote by FFTLxx

muhat gandy
+Sideways 8

Well thats me set ^^
im doin media at the mo at uni, did it at a level, from what i can remember my teacher allways harped on about the hyperdermic needle theory. So in relation to music, that would say that people are influenced by music somewhat subconciously, be it negatively or positively. But, that relies on the assumption of the audience as being passive, which most would say isnt the case. I had to do a simmilar question at a2, think mine was to do with films though, video nasties ect.
No. I think music can give a person ADRENALINE that would allow them to act out on thoughts already embedded in their minds. Just examine a mosh pit at a metal concert. The loud guitars, screaming vocals, solos, double bass drums, among other things basically just fuel the insanity. The mosh pit is just a violent dance. Not to bash it, as I enjoy them as much as the next person; but when you examine them thats what they are. Now, take a person out of the pit and put them in the real world with death metal blasting. Of course its not the music itself (even if the lyrics say "kill, kill, kill").

You can never just blame on source, though. I mean, often black metal is blamed for crazy teens going out and burning churches. As great as that sounds, is it logical to think that only one mediocre source could fuel a persons motivation to commit arson and murder? Music is similar to a preacher (in said church). It teaches a message in some way. However, not all of the ****s listening to it are doing as it says; and therefore it makes no sense to imply that music = violence. People also avoid the metephorical imagery used in songs, which does not help anything.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
Only if the person listening is like "I need to be like these guys, maybe I should start by burning a church with everyone inside."
It's party time!
Yes it sometimes does. There's a lot of crime-promoting music out there, which i disapprove of (with a couple of exceptions)... That music often sucks... at least lyrically

But crime which has influenced music is often the complete opposite. It usually doesn't glorify crime, but rather criticise it and sheds light on significant societal issues... these are often the best lyricists out there.

I'm talking mainly about hip hop.
Quote by billie joe 182
im doin media at the mo at uni, did it at a level, from what i can remember my teacher allways harped on about the hyperdermic needle theory. So in relation to music, that would say that people are influenced by music somewhat subconciously, be it negatively or positively. But, that relies on the assumption of the audience as being passive, which most would say isnt the case. I had to do a simmilar question at a2, think mine was to do with films though, video nasties ect.

the hypodermic needle theory isnt completely true...
Music influences crime, you can't exactly say that everything you listen to doesn't go in deep.

Yet there are an awful lot more immediate sources of violent thought than music. See - newspapers, video games, movies, equally adventurous friends, and so on and so forth.
Music might influence the level of agression a person uses in doing things but to lead someone to an act of crime is kinda out there; it would be an outlier in statistical jargon, it happens but is not the norm. I quess those who commit crime are already predisposed to doing so for a variety or reasons. Look at the variables that influence crime; level of education, future orientation of the person, employment prospects, single or double parent household, alcoholism or drug use in the family, attachment to the community via sports or school. There are tonnes of other factors that could influence crime and mask musics influence or at least inflate its apparent influence.

At worst I would say music that glorifies crime and violence might have a tipping effect on a person; making them say "ya, that was so cool capping that guys ass," but it is only one of many factors that combine to make committing a crime posible for a person. Its not enough by itself to lead to crime.
Well, the line "I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die" made me go to Reno and shoot some guy.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Critical research?
I feel for you man. I got 18/100 first time round.
Got a B in my resit though
Crime influences music, e.g 50 Cent, but the reaction to this music in turn inspires people to commit crime, and so the cycle continues.

OK, obviously that's just one example. Obviously music doesn't have the same effect on everybody.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
No. Simple as that.

People are thick if they let music influence how they act.
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
I listen to brutal music who tell to cut other people and things like that
and I want to kill people, including myself
but it's not because of the music I listen to, in fact, it's helping me in a certain way
it's because of all the others problems
but if I do kill people, everybody will say : oh he kill because his satan music told him to do so
those people can shut up, they don't understand
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
I believe that everything in the world influences everything else, either directly or indirectly. For me, its simply a question of just how significant that influence is. Of course music can influence mood, as most/all external stimuli will. But should music take the blame for someone's violent or illegal actions? I don't believe so, as in my mind, the person is already predisposed (I don't necessarily mean genetically here) to these behaviours anyway, or else they wouldn't be performing them.

I should add that I don't believe (philosophically speaking) anyone can ever be held responsible for their actions - I'm a bit of a determinist. However, for society to poerate in the fashion it does, personal responsibility needs to be taken. It's a part of our culture, and possibly part of the way we are biologically constructed.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by Ylasto
A tout le monde influenced a person into doing a schoolshooting.

Even though it did not have intentional suicidal meanings, it influenced the schoolshooting.

SOME music might influence crime, I guess.

no you're wrong
music only carry your emotion, canalazing (?) it if you prefer
he didn't hear a tout le monde and think : oh! I must kill people
he do that because of other reason, not because he listen to a tout le monde
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
First of all people perceive things differently than others. Secondly I agree with a couple people that for someone to justify pointless killing, you would have to already be very mentally unstable. In my opinion, it's just the media and parents trying to hide the fact or just don't want to admit that their child was mentally sick. It's easier for people to blame other things in situations like this just to gain some quick closure. IMHO anyways
Quote by werty22
P0nx don't even play instruments. P0nx sold their instruments for booze money. And they sold their booze for heroin money.

Mesa Gear Fund- $350/ $2,000
hell no.
All those political bastards out there pass off blame for their dumbass mistakes on music and other popular entertainment because all those old people in the government can't even program the time3 on their ****ing VCR.
of course, i always blast my Beethoven mix when i bash mailboxes
Quote by hide_the_beer
"The sun is a cube, not a sphere."

"The sun is a cube, not a sphere."

crazy?

Quote by hide_the_beer
Aw man. Out of context! People are going to think I'm crazy.

"The sun is a sphere, not a cube."

"The sun is a sphere, not a cube."

nope
i dont think so, but metal makes me wanna break stuff
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
I for one say music isn't violent enough! ( but it's on it's way )
It's Ok, I'm a Doctor
T-T
(In Obviousness)

Quote by Irishstang_87
Good god, you're a Twilight fan. What are you doing in a scientific discussion?

Quote by Thewickerman666
I just watched a turtle rape a shoe, and must admit I slightly enjoyed it.

I feel dirty
It only influences idiots who are so inclined regardless
For example a youth who has no money, poor education might be driven by gansta rap speaking **** about 'bling', and 'getting the paper you deserve', might get a little extra motivation from that. But, music won't turn a law abiding person into a criminal, they need to have criminal intent aready.
im now at the point of consolidating my research so thanks to all pf those who replied. xD
Page 1 of 2