Here is my issue: I need to set up one of my electric guitars Drop D, two steps down. The strings need to be Bb-F-Bb-Eb-G-C from low to high. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus and a PRS SE Custom 22. The Les Paul has an adjustable bridge and inotation. The PRS has a fixed bridge that is only height adjustable. I bought the PRS second hand for half what it cost new to mess around with. Due to my lack of knowledge in guitar setups, I now realize that the Les Paul might be more ideal to drop. I would really rather mess with the PRS as the Les Paul is set up pretty much how I like for standard tuning. I understand that PRS makes a tremolo model of the same guitar. I avoided it specifically because I have heard that the tremolo tends to cause the guitar to go out of tune. I don't care for one anyway, but it seems the tremolo bridge may have more adjustments. I have talked to 3 different techs here and no one wants to do it. I tried Guitar Center, Sam Ash, and an independent small music store. My thoughts are to change the bridge on the PRS, or maybe move it further down the body and install a tuneomatic bridge as on the Les Paul. Is this a ridiculous idea? Once I have the guitar set up for this tuning I am not going to change it back. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Ihor

<current gear>
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Boss NS-2, TU-2, MT-2, DS-1, SD-1
Last edited by silver93t at Mar 9, 2009,
I definitely wouldn't replace the bridge; it'll probably end up being pretty expensive. Not too mention that it'll destroy the resale value of the instrument and I don't think it's going to be doing the guitar any favors in the cosmetic department...

Just put on a suitable string gauge and tune them to the desired tuning. Chances are, depending on what string gauge you intend to use and the strings currently on there, you might need to adjust the truss rod a little, although you'll probably be fine. Other than that, you could tweak the action a bit.

The fact that the bridge doesn't have separate saddles isn't that important; take a look at pretty much all acoustics or PRS' high end instruments for example.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Mar 9, 2009,
So what is the problem? You don't know how to tune to this? or are you getting adverse affects after you do?
Quote by Twisted1
So what is the problem? You don't know how to tune to this? or are you getting adverse affects after you do?

I think he's worried the intonation will be off after he tunes down.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Whenever I've dropped it that far before the strings became all mushy and I got a lot of fret buzz.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
What about an adjustable bridge like this http://cgi.ebay.com/TonePros-Wraparound-Bridge-Model-AVT2M-C-FOR-PRS_W0QQitemZ280313469209QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I don't really care about resale value. I just want it to be right.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Has anyone not noticed that the tuning is a bit... odd? For one 2 steps down from Drop D is not B6-F-B6-E6-G-C. Well, for one I don't think they make guitars that go up to a B6. Another, 2 strings playing the same note (two B6's)? Lastly, the tuning would be A#-F-A#-D#-G-C. Are you trying to tune to drop B? In that case it's 1 1/2 steps down from Drop D, not 2. It may be 2 notes down the chromatic scale from Drop D (E-D-C-B-A) but that is much different from 2 steps. Drop B should look like: B-F#-B-E-G#-C#.

If you want to play Drop B, and you are having problem with down tuning that low, maybe think of buying a 7 String. There isn't a whole lot you can do with Drop B that you can't do with a 7 string. Also it will let you keep your guitars they way they are, it will give you something cool and new to get, and it's well worth the money in my opinion.
Last edited by Dragonblood21 at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by Dragonblood21
Has anyone not noticed that the tuning is a bit... odd? For one 2 steps down from Drop D is not B6-F-B6-E6-G-C. Well, for one I don't think they make guitars that go up to a B6. Another, 2 strings playing the same note (two B6's)? Lastly, the tuning would be A#-F-A#-D#-G-C. Are you trying to tune to drop B? In that case it's 1 1/2 steps down from Drop D, not 2. It may be 2 notes down the chromatic scale from Drop D (E-D-C-B-A) but that is much different from 2 steps. Drop B should look like: B-F#-B-E-G#-C#.

If you want to play Drop B, and you are having problem with down tuning that low, maybe think of buying a 7 String. There isn't a whole lot you can do with Drop B that you can't do with a 7 string. Also it will let you keep your guitars they way they are, it will give you something cool and new to get, and it's well worth the money in my opinion.

he said that the 6's he put were supposed to denote flats. He's not going for 2 B6's he's going for 2 bB's, one octave apart.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
he said that the 6's he put were supposed to denote flats. He's not going for 2 B6's he's going for 2 bB's, one octave apart.

Oooooooh, I didn't see that part in the parenthesis. Well even still in that case, why didn't just say "A#" @_@?
I am trying to play some Breaking Benjamin songs. I took the tuning directly from their official sheet music. Almost all of the songs in the Phobia album are in this tuning.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Quote by Dragonblood21
Oooooooh, I didn't see that part in the parenthesis. Well even still in that case, why didn't just say "A#" @_@?

Seeing an A# in music is a rather rare occurance. I would have written it Bb but thats me. A song in Bb only uses one flat whereas a song in A# uses 5 sharps.

Order of Flats BEADGCF
Order of Sharps FCGDAEB

I would try some 11s. I can get pretty low tunings on my LesPauls with 10s
Maybe I'll just throw some 10s or 11s on there and try to mess with it myself.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
I put on some Ernie Ball heavy gauge strings and was able to get the tuning pretty close. I had to raise the bridge a lot however to eliminate most of the buzz. The problem I am having is The 6th string is really to thick to fit properly in the nut. Should I gently file the nut?
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40