I could put it, on any BPM, and i could sit there playing along to whatever, and i dont know how this helps or anythin?

Im pretty sure im playing it out of time. How do i find the BPM for each song?

Im trying Altitudes with it.

I used to think it was a note a click, and then build up to 2 notes a click etc.

Basically, it seems like a waste of time atm. It really is just a random clicking noise in the background. Do i have to play slower than i think or something?
Last edited by steeLmonkeyz at Mar 9, 2009,
If you can't hear the beat in a song or play to the beat of a metronome I think God made your ears wrong or something...
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
the whole point of playing with a metronome is that you hear it very good when you are not on the beat and you can train to be very good at keeping in the rythm with a metronome..
It doesn't really matter how fast you play it so long as you play at a speed that you can hit all the notes cleanly. Pretty much the whole point of the metronome is just to provide a beat for you to play along with, so you can maintain a tempo throughout the song, like how you'd feed off the drums in a gig. You might not realize it but when you play without one, you can tend to speed up or slow down when you shouldn't.
u count to it and play to the count, either you're a complete n00b or you were born to never play music
Yeh born not to play music, right.

I play with a drummer already, and we can play some ****. So it's not that im an idiot.

Do i play a note on every click or what? How do i find the tempo of the songs i wanna play? Can i play any tempo?

I just ran through the trooper solo on a slow beat, with the metronome. I was playing it pretty slowly, not sure if i was perfectly in time though.

Everyone always says on here, Play with a metronome, it will make you amazing! (Well, pretty much) Like its a massively simple thing.

So yeh, a click a note or not? If so, sweet.

Maybe it's just me not being used to it.
It is just a note a click every time it clicks you play a note thats how you use it then you gradually build up speed
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
think it's 2 notes a click, try going up a scale like it.
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
I bought one today, im just strumming along with it as if it was my drummer, and when im playing notes a just use it to play 2 notes every click. as this all shibbs?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Yeh i get ya. To be honest, thats the kinda thing my old teacher told me. 1 note per click, then 2. Then when it hits 3 per click it gets tricky.

I can do the scale with the metronome piece of piss. Gonna work on my songage. thanks guys
1 note per click = Quarter notes
2 notes per click = Eighth notes
3 notes per click = Triplet
4 notes per click = Sixteenth note
Quote by steeLmonkeyz
Yeh born not to play music, right.

I play with a drummer already, and we can play some ****. So it's not that im an idiot.

Do i play a note on every click or what? How do i find the tempo of the songs i wanna play? Can i play any tempo?

I just ran through the trooper solo on a slow beat, with the metronome. I was playing it pretty slowly, not sure if i was perfectly in time though.

Everyone always says on here, Play with a metronome, it will make you amazing! (Well, pretty much) Like its a massively simple thing.

So yeh, a click a note or not? If so, sweet.

Maybe it's just me not being used to it.

I think it is totally that you are not used to it, and you haven't been exposed to the way to use it. It is a way that you can keep the beat and make sure your playing is on time. It can be hard to do at first because you do need to pay attention to where your notes fall in relation to the beat. For playing songs you cant just say "a note per beat" unless your song is in 4/4 time and all the beats are quarter notes. It is important that you understand the concepts.
Check this out for a great article for practicing with a metronome.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/correct_practice/effective_techniques_for_practicing_with_a_metronome.html

For playing along with songs, most rock is in 4/4 time, so it is 4 beats to a measure. If you don't know exactly what that is, check out these basic rhythm lessons. They are written for bass players, but the rhythm all hold true and I found these a great introduction to basic rhythm theory.

http://www.studybass.com/lessons/rhythm/

If you think you are a great player and you cannot play along with a metronome after understanding the concept and practicing a bit, you probably are not as good as you think you are.
^^ He pretty much has it covered. Good post.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ